View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #296
lachicacurly

your hair is really beautiful Sairis. And no, Mexicans have no idea what to do with curly hair. I'm Mexican with 3c/4a curls and I am constantly being told that I should straighten it. I once had a Mexican woman argue with me and tell me that I must not be Mexican because I had such curly hair. But I speak very good mexican spanish, so folks just usually leave me alone.
I grew up with many of the same comments that everybody else did. Brillo pad, sponge head and chia pet were many of the popular ones in elementary school. I do love it now though. People appreciate it because it it different and it is part of me. I find that usually the people that are the most insecure have the most difficulty with my hair.
Frankly, it's taken me this long to figure out that I am who I am and I am not at a point in my life where I am going to chemically straighten anymore. I don't know, maybe I just feel exotic.
I am also an educator in a large urban area and many of the people that I interact with are very liberal and love the hair. Be true to yourself chica, you're the one that has to look at yourself in the mirror everyday. Suerte!

Last edited by lachicacurly; 08-29-2008 at 06:15 PM.
lachicacurly is offline   Reply With Quote