While I don't have allegiance to any party, the last time I voted republican was for Guiliani for mayor in NYC.

The mayor before him was David Dinkins - and was pretty much placed on a pedistal to help reform the crap from the previous mayor and he was the first black mayor of NYC. All I remember during that time was the city going to poo, seeing crack viles appear everywhere in my working-class neighborhood, my brother being beat up for having a bike, and his friends being assaulted for having a leather jacket. Bryant park (now well known for fashion week) permeated with piss and poo. I didn't feel safe, nor did my family feel safe.

Guiliani made me feel like he'll clean things up.

And when he did, I thought it was great. I even moved into Manhattan and felt safe walking the streets late at night (not that I did this a lot mind you).

Unfortunately, many innocent people suffered under Guiliani - specifically the poor, miniorities and small entreprenures.

From that experience, I've learned that when I cast my vote for anyone, it shouldn't be all about me. I need to think of how decisions impact others, and what I believe makes for a better society.

The social conservatism that has permeated the republican party lately has led me to vote independent or democrat.

I also believe in being rewarded for working hard, etc.

But I'm also very aware of how America's history has, continues to create an uneven playing field for too many.

I'm aware that the basics of capitalism is that there are winners and loosers. For some aspects of society, having loosers (ie healthcare, education) is far too great of a cost.

I'm aware that the Free Market is not the crux of American economics, as much as we've been led to believe that it is.

Until America truly addresses its sexism, racism, and tolerance for poverty, can we implement some of the economic policies embraced by libertarians.
Originally Posted by webjockey
I'd like to co-sign on the red. This is an extremely important thing for people to consider. Too often do I hear people (primarily Republicans, but people from all points on the spectrum) say things like, "Well, I don't need <insert public service here>, so why should it be provided?" My one friend specifically, he's very very conservative. In talking recently the idea of universal healthcare came up. His logic was, hecan afford his health insurance and health care costs. So, WTF does he need universal coverage for? I pointed out that that was great for him, who'd had a pretty good streak of luck, but there are millions of people who didn't have the same advantages he had, the same skills he had, the same talents he had, and some people had little choice but to work three part time jobs in order to support their families and none of those jobs would be enough hours to get health insurance. And since going out and buying your own insurance costs an arm and a leg, where does that leave people who can't find one full time job to support themselves with? He didn't have an answer for that. He'd never thought about it.

I find that many Republicans around here vote for the party that will benefit the economic standing they wish they had, or that they believe they one day will have. They're voting to make their current lives harder so that one they Get There, or Make It, they'll have it easier. What they don't seem to get is that in the mean time, they're screwing themselves.
"And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
Stolen.