The reason for my question is that I have seen a lot of new sulfate-free poos come out that had intense lather (like AG Re:coil poo unfortunately, Lazy Loops) that I found very drying and some sulfate-containing poos that were surprisingly gentle (like Redken's new formula of Fresh Curls and new formula of All Soft with something-Luxe).

It's been an eye-opener for me because I'm thinking more and more that the formulators of the sulfate-free poos are heaping loads of these non-sulfate surfactants into their products to make sure they clean "adequately" and can still say they are sulfate-free, but they are going way overboard on the reason we buy sulfate-free.

On another side, one of my DH's best friends is a stylist who says "sulfates break color bonds" so he believes all who color their hair should use a sulfate-free poo.

And you guys know me--question everything and trust your personal experience. If some poo is drying, it ain't for me, sulfate-free or not.

Don't get me wrong. There are some great, gentle sulfate-free poos out there--Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Gentle Lather, Tigi Foxy Curls, Curls new poo (name escapes me), etc). I'm just seeing more and more that seem to be about the marketing potential for a sulfate-free poo rather than the practice.

Do you guys remember when Dove relaunched their poos with less sulfates? I found all of their poos extremely harsh, even the new formulas for drier hairtypes.

And then there are the natural brands like Nature's Gate that have some of the strongest poos out there, but they are sulfate-free. They (and other natural brands like Aubrey and Avalon Organics and...) push "sulfates are bad...unnatural...not as good for you...blah blah" but so is dried out hair from a non-sulfate source, I say.

Frankly, the only reason I'll never do a poo review series is that I find poos can do SO much damage so quickly that can't be reversed. A harsh poo once and a while from doing my reviews for the product reviews section of nc.com is one thing. But when I do these series, there are SO many products that I test back to back to back that there would be no recovery time if I ended up in a string of harsh poos in a series of tests.
2b w/ some 3a
product tester geek