Please don't mind my butting in (nose insertion here)

...If you mean ethnic as in ethnic jewish (i.e. middle eastern) my future sis-in law is an ethnic jewish woman and she says that she likes wearing her hair natural because people can more easily identify her as middleeastern (whether or not they assume she is hebrew/jewish or muslim I'm not sure), but she likes it, she feels very in touch with her ehtnicity...

but I do think that non-white caucasians (as classified courtesy of the U.S. census , etc) like European Spanirds or italians or other groups such as midle easternerners may feel pressure like any other group depending upon where they live, like the U.S. or parts of Europe (like Germany), or even South America where they have the highest black populations second only to Africa, itself, but less so in other places where ethnic people flock like Canada or Africa or the Middle-East where your 'ethnicity' is looked upon as 'special' or a source of family pride and not a career hindrance...

When I found out how people are classified by our government I was really creeped out... caucasian white-ethnic groups are polish, irish and the like, non-white caucasian ethnic groups are Italian, middle-eastern (formerly classified as 'other' or some other cooky hybrid classification for mixed populaces, European-Spanish (and they emphasise Euro ), etc.. before you get into the standard Asian or Pacific Islander, African, Hispanic (not white ), and so on..

We are the product of a pretty color struck wesrten-society and that will naturally rub of to some extent on all ethnicities living in the states or certain parts of Europe, although that we are progressing to the point where it is being seen less and less, like for example everyone seems to have a uniformly positive living experience (periodic war, health crisis or famine not included) in France, Canada, N. Africa, East Africa, the African islands of Madagascar, etc...

So, we're definitely getting there, but as for those progressive 'ehtnic' peoples of Asian, African and Middle-Eastern lineage with 'throw-back' parents, born before say 1960, it's important to realize that they are literally coming from an era where just 25 years ago in the U.S. that if someone found out you were mixed or Asian or middle-eastern or African, your life might literally be in danger, so when they say wear your hair straight or relaxed or texturized, they are operating out of past fears (they may not ralize it) but that's all it is and as the next generations, it's our responsibility to let them see that the world has become a better place, and people and societies are learning to celebrate their uniqueness!