WAIT!! i thought it was her real hair! dangit... i think its pretty. to bad its not real!
Originally Posted by jenbuggy85
No, it's not real and it's nice but lately it's been (weave, or wig) looking bad!

I thought it was her real hair too.
Originally Posted by Ryanne
Not real, but someone please prove me wrong!
Originally Posted by cysyca
You're right. As far as I can tell, this not her natural hair. I recently saw a biography show about her and they had footage of Oprah anchoring a television show when she was younger. She had type 4 curls in an afro. It looked great. I loved seeing her like that!

During that period, they insisted she relax her hair and they felt her features were too wide apart and asked if she would consider plastic surgery! (Now that's beyond insulting!) I think she went on to AM Chicago, a morning show after that, in which she wore TWA. It was really cute. It seems like she stopped wearing her hair natural when she started the Oprah show.

I respect her hair choices much more now. I think in her industry it's even more unforgiving of natural hair. Even worse than the knuckleheads we put up with in corporate jobs.

I'm glad to see younger anchors and commentators like Amy Holmes are starting to wear their hair natural. That's off topic though, sorry.

I found a video of AM Chicago. Shows Oprah's TWA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAsEi-qrLiE
Originally Posted by shycurl
Shycurl,

OMG, the youtube is great, thank you.

You made some excellent points. The first point, the TV industry and corporate jobs are unforgiving of natural hair. Yes, that's correct and sad that TODAY society still has a negative image of curly/kinky hair, it's so unruly and it must be controlled. If I had to do a presentation or go on an interview, I'll probably wear my hair pulled back in a tight bun to avoid any comments. The second point, younger anchors and commentators like Amy Holmes are...wearing their hair natural. Now that's great and I have to goggle Amy Holmes. We definitely need more naturally curly/kinky role models on TV especially for younger girls who often tune in to see straight hair, weaved hair, relaxed hair, etc. I could go on but I'll stop for now and thank you again for your insight.
Live For Today!

Last edited by cysyca; 10-23-2008 at 07:34 AM.