Which is why I add "she probably should move out."
However, "my house, my rules" should NEVER mean that you have to live the entirety of your life by the parents rules... absolutely NOT.
- Don't come home after 11. Okay.
- Don't come home drunk. Okay.
- No BF sleepovers. Okay.
- No unannounced guests. Okay.
- Mow the lawn. Great.
- Take out the trash. Super.
- Do the dishes. Okay.
- Make your bed when you get up in the morning. I can handle.
But "you can't take a vacation?" Get outta dodge. Not in this lifetime. What's next? You can't eat at a certain restaurant? Work at a particular job? Drive a certain car? Hang out with certain friends?
Okay... I'll go on the vacation, and I promise not to have pre-marital sex. HOUSE rules don't extend beyond the HOUSE. And they CERTAINLY should not for someone who is 23-years old.
1) Trust their daughter.
2) Alienate their daughter, have her move out, go on the same vacation and have the same premarital sex.