This one struck me as I read it in the paper on Monday.

This chick is TWENTY-THREE YEARS OLD. She has the opportunity to go on a cruise. And she's letting her parents dictate whether or not she can go on a vacation?

This isn't a case of "you live in my house, you live by my rules." She's not asking permission to have the boyfriend sleep over.

Dear Abby screwed this one up. She doesn't need a chaperone and she doesn't need to get married. She probably needs to move out of her parents home, but if I'm in the same situation... I take the cruise despite my parents objections. They need to have faith in the daughter that she isn't going to be a &%$@#! machine on the vacation. And if she is... it's not her parents business at 23!

Thoughts?
Originally Posted by Mephisto
I agree with Abby. I am baptist and thats what I was raised on... HOWEVER... I myself have taken trips.... a few nights or so with my boyfriend to places like Tahoe (okay his parents and grandma were going to be there) and to Sonoma. My parents trust me to make good judgements... And I know they mean well on certain things. Just trying to protect us girls. This IS a "if you live under my roof... you do as I say...."
Originally Posted by rubyloxx
Yeah, I know on the surface this situations seems ridiculous to most, but if they ARE Baptist, you must consider that many Baptists:

don't drink...that means no open bar at weddings...EVER,
home school,
don't believe in unmarried people dancing...yes, even at weddings,
don't believe in unmarried people of the opposite sex touching...even in a platonic, casual manner,
get married to the first person they ever dated...both as virgins.

I could make an endless list...