View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
KyCurly

Default My experience with Brazilian Keratin Treatment (BKT)

Hi- I wanted to share my experience with getting the BKT treatment for anyone considering spending a large sum of money on it.
I have type 3a curls and a ton of hair that is not behaving very well which is the reason I considered getting it straightened in the first place. It used to hang in spirals and corkscrews and now it just kind of does it's own thing..
I had the stylist just trim my hair once so I could talk with her about BKT. Suprisingly she tried to discourage me from getting it- she was very "pro" natural texture but did say that it would leave it straight and soft. I think I had overly high expectations of being able to jump out of the shower with straight hair. I re-confirmed that I would NOT have to blow dry and flat iron to get straight hair and was told that it would dry straight.
If you are considering it you should know the following:
The process is very very long and smelly! I was at the salon all day. They must wash the hair, dry your hair thoroughly then apply the product, then flat iron completely.
You cannot wash your hair or put it up in any hat, ponytail holder, or tuck it behind your ear etc. for four days or it will cause a "kink" in the hair. (This was a huge pain in the rear.)
The result (for me anyway): was hair that will stay straight when flat ironed but does not come out of the shower straight but wavy. It did seem to be less frizzy and tangly but this has worn off over the months as the protein product has washed out. With the use of the flat iron, my hair was incredibly soft and naturally looking straight.
I have not had the process repeated mainly due to the price and the fact that if I have to flat iron it anyway there really isn't a lot gained. Interestingly, there has been an overwhelming majority of male friends who have indicated they liked the curly hair better ( I am a firefighter so I figured they probably didn't even notice!)
On a positive side- I did learn how to flat iron my hair quickly so I can wear it different for a change and there doesn't appear to be any damage from the process.
Obviously, BKT may work different on other hair types or there may be something my stylist did different but hope this helps if anyone is trying to decide. I am actually planning on starting the CG routine tomorrow if I can dig out some CG products from my closet.
KyCurly is offline   Reply With Quote