View Single Post
Old 12-15-2003, 10:08 AM   #7
micheller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katalina
Thanks everybody! You know Michelle, I am leaning towards the DR too. I have been elsewhere in the Caribean, so I feel like I have already had the quintessential "Don't worry mon be happy" vacation. I speak Spanish, and love to use my Spanish when I travel. I love latino people and their food and culture, so I would feel right at home in the DR. I would also love to go to Puerto Rico, but they don't offer flights there. I would love to see Cuba, because my Dad used to live there, but that is not possible now.

As for budget....yeah, we don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I really don't need some fancy resort, because I don't want to spend that much time in a hotel anyway. I am someone who likes to get out and explore. I like to find the restaurants where the locals eat, and wander off the beaten path. I have traveled a lot, especially when I was younger, so I am used to cheap lodging, roughing it a bit, and finding my way in third world countries. I am there for the adventure!

I am currently reading a great historical novel that takes place in the DR: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
Thanks for the book link, I'll have to check it out. From what you have said, it sounds like the DR would be a perfect fit for you. There are lots of places where you can "rough it", so to speak. And since you speak Spanish, it opens up the whole culture to you. I also speak Spanish, maybe that is why I am more drawn to Spanish speaking countries. When I travel, I really like to see something different, that's why the other places in the Caribbean don't draw me in as much as the DR. I went on a cruise that stopped in many of the eastern Caribbean (st. Kits, St. Barts, etc.,) and while they are beautiful, I still perfer the DR. I've also been to Puerto Rico, and I much prefered the DR. (not that's there's anything wrong with PR, it is beautiful also) From the sound of you, sounds like you would too. I am likewise a former roughing it traveler, that is, before I met hubby who thinks anything less than the Sheraton is roughing it. BUt his job is super stressful so now when we go on vacation, all he wants to do is lay on the beach with a cold drink in his hand. That's why we like the all inclusives. I do drag him out almost every day so that we can experience the places we go to.

There are penty of resorts that would fit what you are looking for, not in Punta Cana, but in the Southern area, or, more particularly in the North, in Sosua and Puerto Plata area, which I haven't been to, but if you see pictures looks gorgeous. I had two websites I looked to get info on the DR, if you want the links, let me know and I will send them to you(don't know what they are now, I'll have to find them if you want them). Have Fun no matter where you go!!
micheller is offline   Reply With Quote