I am very interested to find out more about this as well. I have never heard anyone call this a humectant.

- Silicone is listed as water-binding as well and that isn't a humectant (for my hair at least). She does say that they are water-binding to skin, not hair, as well. Her list of water binding agents: ceramide, lecithin, glycerin, polysaccharides, hyaluronic acid, sodium hyaluronate, mucopolysaccharides, sodium PCA, collagen, elastin, proteins, amino acids, cholesterol, glucose, sucrose, fructose, glycog en, phospholipids, glycosphingolipids, and glycosaminoglycans. Pretty much everything...

- This website also proposes that sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate is safe and gentle on hair. I know that this is not true for my hair.
Originally Posted by vkb247
I'm assuming you're referring to the Paula's Choice site, yes? I dug deeper into her SLS stance (http://www.cosmeticscop.com/skin-car...h-sulfate.aspx), and I can see why she says it's SAFE to use. I didn't see where she referred to it as being gentle, but I didn't exactly scour the site (I feel like I'm guano-ing my own thread, LOL!). I would be VERY upset to find Paula referring to SLS as gentle after the research she cites in that link...

Full disclosure: I use Paula's Choice skin care products, and I'm reasonably happy with them. I tend to trust her, but I know there has been some question in the past about the information in her books being correct.

That list of humectants from her site matches up with what the Curl Chemist says on NaturallyCurly.com, but perhaps there is some semantic confusion with the words "water binding agent", since Paula's lists both silicone and aloe vera as such.

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
Humectants: @ dew point 40+
My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly