View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
torimonty

Hey Curlissima,
I transitioned with a full sew-in weave for about 4 of my 8 month transition. Like you - this was my first weave. I have a few posts on my blog about it. Here's a link to that topic: http://myhairmonologue.blogspot.com/search/label/weave

I'm not an expert, but here are a few things I'd recommend:
1) Do a full sew-in (do NOT use glue) so none of your own hair is exposed. Otherwise, you'll be tempted to flat iron your own hair to match the weave. Also - don't let the stylist braid your hair too tight. Aside from being painful - it will damage your hair. In addition, if you have a thinning areas, consider using a hair net so the stress of the tracks is on the hair net and not your hair.

2) Use human hair (the brand I used is in the blog post). It looks better, responds 'naturally' and lasts longer. I also didn't have to use any products on it so it was totally easy to care for. I'd wrap it at night and bump it occasionally in the mornings and roll out.

3) Don't neglect your own hair. Have the weave taken down every 6-8 weeks for a good shampoo, condition, and trim. This will also prevent your own hair from locking/matting underneath the weave. They say you should let your hair/scalp rest for at least 2-7 days before going into your next weave. But I never did that.

4) Your scalp will itch - so be prepared (see my blog post for some product recos). I hear this is worse with synthetic hair.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your journey!
torimonty is offline   Reply With Quote