I spent the past two years with symptoms ranging from digestive problems to hot flashes to "dry eye syndrome"...and irregular periods which began skipping months, 9 months in fact.
I had asked every doctor, including my OBGYN, what the root cause might be (other than stress). No one had an answer, in fact, they looked at me like I was speaking venusarian or something; even my OBGYN said not to worry about it.
I went to a talk given by a nutritionist and she said low progestrone was the key. Turns out that almost everything we come into contact with in our modern society is seen by the body as estrogen.
Anyway, I won't bore you but will suggest you find a copy of "What your Doctor may not tell you about Premenopause" written by John R. Lee, M.D. Awesome book, great info, very easy to understand.
Me? I started a program which includes a natural progestrone cream made by Life-Flo. It is a measured dosage and is applied twice daily like lotion. You can check them out at www.life-flo.com.
After 16 days of using the cream I had my first menstual cycle in a year! I've been using it for three months now and am not yet regulated but I feel better knowing I have a better understanding of my body and a natural tool to help myself.
Low progestrone causes all sorts of medical problems in both men and women; its worth educating ourselves about it, hopefully sooner than later.