View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
Curlyminx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukla72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinkyKeeper View Post
Well to me wavy is actually any S pattern at all and curls are ringlets and Os. Like Shirley Temple. So actually IMHO there are type 4s that are "wavies" (like my hair is actually just really little S shaped waves) and type 3s who I wouldn't call "curlies". And that's how I see it. One of the benefits of going natural and accepting my natural kinky texture is not having to be envious of anyone else's texture.

The whole kinky curly wavy thing is confusing. People are still trying to put their hair into a box they wish it belonged to becuase of this confusion. Not gonna point any fingers but there are still people with clear lovely kinks 4B straight up who are gonna insist they have some 3C hair. There are gonna be people who you might think are wavy who want to be called curly. There are people who think any texture whatsoever is "kinky" or "curly". Eh.
And I'd like to add on to the bolded that one of the benefits of confident and serene self acceptance is also not feeling the need to bash or belittle other people's curl patterns in comparison to one's own, whatever those patterns may be - straight, wavy, loopy or kinky. When I see or hear someone doing that it seems pretty obvious they're only revealing the pathetic little insecurities their arrogance must be based in.

I'm just sayin'. Since we're being honest, and all.
OUCH!

Since I was the one that wasn't going to lie and your being honest, i figure you mean me.

You are right. I already said that. But thank you for pointing out my pathetic little insecurities more than I did. I only got an issue about it after someone very important to me made a comparison between myself and someone I don't care for (and who didn't have hair like me at all). Before that, I didn't think twice about it. So it IS my insecurity. I dunno about arrogance (on a personal level), so maybe you meant the larger group of people who bother to think about this.

Personally I never considered it an arrogant thought to have an opinion on what a curl is versus what a wave is, unless you (the general 'you') weren't really comparing the two and comparing someone elses hair to your own. That is arrogant (if you think yours is better of course).

eta: I hope that i'm reading too far into this. Either way: I agree with you. A curl is anything other than straight. I can give opinions all day as to what I think, but at the end of the day, a curl is anything that isn't straight. Anything more that I say is just my personal opinions and views.

Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey