View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #26
Po

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbrock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post

A lot of mental illnesses first emerge during puberty. It seems pretty likely that that's what happened here, combined with a young child's inability to understand the gravity and permanence of death.

In any event, a person's life should not be defined by what they did at age 11. I really hope that he gets a sympathetic judge.
in general i would agree that a person's life shouldnt be defined by what they did when they were 11, but we're not talking about stealing bubblegum or picking on the neighborhood geek. he killed a sleeping pregnant women execution style. im not sure why he would need a sympathetic judge. theyre not going to lock him up and throw away the key.
They might. It wouldn't be the first time. I don't exactly remember the name of the boy, but a 14? year old did something similar and I believe he got life without parole. There are quite a few kids with L W O P. Like in the thousands. Although some people don't consider teens to be children, so I'm not sure how many non-teen children have been given L W O P, if any (probably not since Lionel Tate's sentence was overturned). I would consider even 25 to life to be throwing away the key. I don't have an alternative solution, though. So sad.

Last edited by Po; 02-23-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Po is offline   Reply With Quote