The well water sent up a big alarm bell for me as I read your post. I don't know a lot about hard water deposits, but I do know that people who deal with them use either water filters or special shampoos. I found this thread but there are several others. It sounds like you are already doing ACV rinses and the like but maybe the hard water is a bigger issue than we realize for you.

Another thing. As I'm sitting here typing this, I have wet, stringly hair -- that I know will scrunch out into decent curls and, because I'm using KCCC today, will gradually turn into clumpy ringlets (takes a few hours but I don't mind waiting!). But you say you aren't really using styling products, so maybe there's more of a tendency for your dry hair to resemble your wet hair. I know that without stylers, I don't get much clumpage. KCCC, Boots curl creme, and Jessicurl's Rockin' Ringlets have been the only products that I can truly say did the job.

So, the stringliness may be due to the hard water, but it may also have something to do with lack of stylers. Somebody else may have to step in here because I honestly can't come up with anything else.

I'd love to probe the texture/porosity and clumps question with somebody like StruttsWife. Maybe she's reading this?
3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
Twitter: nopoojillipoo