I go back to Riley's point that banks are businesses. When you open an account, you're made aware of the fees associated with that account. If they update the terms and you don't like them, then close the account. Hating the bank is irrational.
Originally Posted by PhDCow
Exactly - you enter into the relationship knowing what the terms are. I can't fathom why people think they should get special treatment and the rules shouldn't apply to them just because 'oops I made a mistake'. Like I said, I get being annoyed about it, but I'd be even more annoyed with myself that I made it happen. I was the one in control of whether or not I was penalized, I was the one who effed up. It's just irrational to stomp around saying penalties are unfair and I HATE BANKS.

I accidentally paid my credit card bill a day late last month and they charged me $40. Yeah, it sucks, but I should have paid my bill on time. I knew what would happen if I didn't - I just forgot, so I paid my $40 and I'll pay it on time this month.
I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.