I think there is a difference between not opposing a government law and in personally agreeing with something as well.
Originally Posted by Amneris
What's the difference?

Not opposing something is condoning it. You're allowing it to happen while standing by and watching.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

(Not saying this situation is "evil" per se; substitute the word evil for "injustice" if it bothers you.)
Originally Posted by lauraloo

I mean that you (gy) can accept civil marriage for gays but personally not "approve" of it. People accept that there should be rights for common-law heterosexual couples and their children, in order to do justice, but they may still not think that it is an ideal situation in principle... and it doesn't really matter what someone personally THINKS if they are not opposing peoples' legal rights, when it comes down to it. Their views may be distasteful to some - others may not want to associate with them - but as long as those views are not doing a social injustice they are entitled to them.
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali