Charlotte Bronte's Villette

"This hag, this Reason, would not let me look up, or smile, or hope: she could not rest unless I were altogether crushed, cowed, broken-in, and broken-down. According to her, I was born only to work for a piece of bread, to await the pains of death, and steadily through all life to despond."

"No mockery in this world ever sounds to me so hollow as that of being told to cultivate happiness. What does such advice mean? Happiness is not a potato, to be planted in mould, and tilled with manure. Happiness is a glory shining far down upon us out of Heaven."
Originally Posted by Sairis
Beautiful. Absolutely poetic. Almost Shakesperian (not a fan, and I find it to be a hard read, but the lyrical prose is just absolutely beautiful). I think I might read this.

To answer the question, I think 'Forrester' from 'Finding Forrester' comes to mind. I haven't read the book nor seen the movie. All I know is that hermit old man who was once a professor lives in a apartment and has retreated from the world. His friends are his books. And some black kids sets out to find him and they both grow to share a bond and learn things from each other.

I can see myself as a (maybe) intelligent old woman who has retreated from the world and decided to leave it alone for a while or forever. And I love to read.

I understood and identified with the characters Lestat and Louis from Interview with a Vampire, but I am not like them at all.

Other than that, I don't think I've ever read a book and found 'me' in it. But some of my favorite characters have been John Coffee (Green Mile - Stephen King) and Moll Flanders (Moll Flanders - William Defoe). I tend to like non-conforming, non-traditionalist characters who are like gold on the inside but with some seemingly serious character flaw to the outside world.

Also a fan of EA Poe but I can't (won't?) identify with any of his characters - except for maybe Poe himself.

Last edited by Vagabond Davotchka; 03-12-2009 at 06:37 PM.