View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
Marllon

Exclamation Amodimethicone becomes water-soluble when accompanied with these ingredients

I found out that the CurlChemist article on silicones is not the full scoop. Although, albeit it's very informative, there are more things I'd like to add that I think you curlies will greatly appreciate . On the bottom of the CurlChemist article titled What’s the Scoop on Silicones?, there is a link to a Brazilian article which I clicked on a couple weeks ago that included a more extensive list on silicones that are water-soluble or water-insoluble. Luckily, I am of Afro-Brazilian descent and was born in southeastern Brazil, but relocated to the Greater Boston area here in the states as little as two years of age. I was educated in a trilingual elementary school here in the Greater Boston area from an early age to be fluent in English and Portuguese, so I was able to read the article. You can find the link to this article under the What’s the Scoop on Silicones? article. If you think you need validation before you can take what I'm about to tell you seriously, then I'll just make it easier for you skeptics by adding the link HERE. I think you will be pleased to know that amodimethicone is water-soluble when accompanied by trideceth-12 and cetrimonium chloride in the same formula! This was my most pleasant discovery when reading this list! If this information is new to you, now your choices in products are less limited! Here's the list from the Brazilian article (I didn't need to translate much):

Silicones - Used to add shine and gloss to hair, decrease combing friction and tangling, provide conditioning, and act as humectants

Amodimethicone - water-insoluble when unaccompanied by Tricedeth-12 and Centrimonium Chloride

Amodimethicone and Trideceth-12 and Cetrimonium Chloride - water-soluble when these three ingredients are present within the same formula

Behenoxy Dimethicone Sparingly - water-soluble

Dimethicone Copolyol - water-soluble

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane - water-soluble

Lauryl methicone copolyol - water-soluble

Cyclomethicone - water-insoluble, but rinses out with conditioner washing

Cetearyl methicone - water-insoluble

Cetyl Dimethicone - water-insoluble

Cyclopentasiloxane - water-insoluble

Dimethicone - water-insoluble

Dimethiconol - water-insoluble

Stearyl Dimethicone - water-insoluble

Trimethylsilylamodimethicone - water-insoluble

Phenyl Trimethicone - water-insoluble

Dimethylpolysiloxane - water-insoluble

All silicones listed below are water-soluble:

PEG-7 Amodimethicone

Dimethicone PEG-8 Phosphate

Ammonium Dimethicone PEG-7 Sulfate

Dimethicone PEG-8 Adipate,

Dimethicone PEG-8 Benzoate,

Dimethicone PEG-7 Phosphate,

Dimethicone PEG-10 Phosphate,

Dimethicone PEG/PPG-20/23 Benzoate,

Dimethicone PEG/PPG-7/4 Phosphate,

Dimethicone PEG/PPG-12/4 Phosphate,

PEG-3 Dimethicone,

PEG-7 Dimethicone,

PEG-8 Dimethicone,

PEG-9 Dimethicone,

PEG-10 Dimethicone,

PEG-12 Dimethicone,

PEG-14 Dimethicone,

PEG-17 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-3/10 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-4/12 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-6/11 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-8/14 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-14/4 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-15/15 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-16/2 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-17/18 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-20/6 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-20/15 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-20/20 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-20/23 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-20/29 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-22/23 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-22/24 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-23/6 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-25/25 Dimethicone,

PEG/PPG-27/27 Dimethicone

Prior to coming across this article, I had quit using my Kérastase Nutritive Elasto-Curl Leave-in Conditioner, because of the fact that it's formulated with amodimethicone, but since coming across this article, I took the liberty to reread the ingredient list of the leave-in, and I'm glad to say that I discovered that the amodimethicone in it is accompanied by trideceth-12 and cetrimonium chloride, therefore turning the amodimethicone water-soluble, so now I can resume using my leave-in again, YAY!

By the way, would anyone happen to know if cetrimonium chloride2-oleamido-1 is the same as cetrimonium chloride? Because I'm thinking of buying L'Oréal Professionnel Texture Expert Spirale Extrême Curl Defining Crème, which contains amodimethicone, trideceth-12, and cetrimonium chloride2-oleamido-1, but I'm not sure if it's water-soluble since the naming of the cetrimonium chloride is not exactly the same as appeared in this list. I'd greatly appreciate if anyone is able to help me out this.

I apologize if I bored and/or exhausted anyone with my excessive overwriting! With that aside, I hope you guys appreciated the list!

Co-wash/condition: Alberto VO5 Moisture Milks

Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner

Styling product: Clairol Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl-Boosting Mousse

Last edited by Marllon; 04-08-2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Rewording.
Marllon is offline   Reply With Quote