Most of my do'h moments were a result of listening to bad advice and following it for waaayyy too long.

That wetting hair and detangling it hurts much less. For so long I had heard don't detangle when wet, that's when strands are at their weakest. I swear, kids should not be allowed to read magazines. When my mom would try to tell me I detangling dry was why I was tenderheaded I got snappy and was "Wet hair isn't going to make it hurt less, mom."
Now I feel bad becuase she was absolutely right. And then I discovered wet hair+conditioner= detangling made completely painless. But to be fair who would think that wet hair makes any difference in detangling, it just sounds wrong. I can't believe I ever tried to detangle my kinky naps dry now. I cringe in pain just thinking about it.

Washing every week, even every day is good for hair. This is a black thing. We are taught that water is the enemy and black hair doesn't need to be shampooed as much. BS. I had to retrain myself. Before I retrained my mom, when I started going on hair sites and washing my hair twice a week, she would be like "you're gonna dry out your hair with all that washing." Seriously that is the mindset. That washing with water (the most moisturizing thing out there) is going to dry out my hair. But really I realized we were subconciously realizing that the hair products out there like shampoos were not made for our hair type and will in fact dry out our hair. And it became some myth that "Black" hair shouldn't be shampooed as often as "white" hair. What we have to spread the word about is that it isn't shampooing your hair often that dries it out, it was the shampoos in the old days chock full of sulfates that will in fact dry out curly hair if used often.

That some conditioners can be left in your hair. Sounds silly but I listened to the instructions on the back of the bottle for so long to rinse out after 2 minutes. Thanks Terri for opening my eyes that tight curls need creamy thick conditioner left in to hold frizz back.

That cold water produces great definition and less frizz. Water temperture is important. Who knew?

Petroleum laden hair greases are not moisturizing my hair.

My Fotki

Last edited by KinkyKeeper; 04-16-2009 at 09:32 AM.