Thread: Lice
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
madhuri_dixit_fan

Tea Tree Oil and Neem Oil added together to shampoo or conditioner (and body wash) have done the trick for us in preventing outbreaks of lice and other skin buggies like impetigo when those buggies have stormed thru my kids' schools and camps. Those oils are just super beneficial for scalp/skin health in general, so I use those oils at least once a week in a product like Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioner (I add small amount of the conditioner/shampoo to a different bottle and then mix in the Neem and Tea Tree Oils; that Trader Joe's conditoner also has eucalyptus and lavendar oils that are good for lice prevention too) or my kids shampoo and conditioner from California Baby or I add small amounts to some Coconut or Avocado or Olive oils or a combo of those oils, massage into scalp, and then hour later wash it out. I basically have to be diligent with some type of prevention because my kids have ezcema (which makes getting other skin rashes and skin diseases easier) any skin thingies are going to make their ezcema trip up big time.

Try a google search for "Neem Oil Lice" to discover more about how it can help with lice prevention, lice treatment and overall scalp health. Neem Oil stinks to high heaven, but there are several natural shampoos and conditioners on the market that have Neem and Tea Tree in them if you don't want to buy all the seperate ingredients or deal with masking the smell of Neem Oil yourself. Alaffia is a brand sold at Whole Foods and they have a Neem and Shea Butter shampoo and conditioner line that also has Tree Tree, Lavendar and Rosemary Oils. With any product, just make sure all ingredients are safe for your child and that she doesn't have gluten/wheat intolerance if you try Alaffia because their products often have wheat protein.

As for the laundry, just keep doing what you have been with lots of washing in the hot water cycle, doing her laundry seperate if you can, but also add 3-4 drops of Tea Tree Oil to your wash as well, and tie up toys like teddy bears and pillows into plasic trash bags for like a week or so and then wash & dry them or immediately wash them, dry them and then tie in bags for a week to help deal with any possible buggies there.

Wish your daughter and you well.

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC

Last edited by madhuri_dixit_fan; 04-25-2009 at 12:06 PM.
madhuri_dixit_fan is offline   Reply With Quote