I think it's definitely important to remember that all the steps are guidelines, not strict rules -- you need to experiment and figure out everything that works or doesn't work for your hair. It's not even always just products that can be a hit or miss -- I was following the CG steps to a T, and it turns out, my hair HATES when I do a leave-in. I only figured it out one day when I was so eager to try a new product I skipped that step.

I think it's also good to bear in mind at the beginning that you need to stick with it. I was really bothered by the idea of not using shampoo and after a week my scalp was smelly and I was ready to give up. But it turns out I wasn't scrubbing enough, I was just conditioning as usual and not actually washing my scalp. I could have ruined the whole thing if I had immediately jumped back into my old bad habits!

Hair type: Fine, fairly porous, shoulder length when curly. Probably a 3a or 3b with tight ringlets now that it's getting longer. Hair loves aloe, hates glycerin.

Co-Wash: Suave Naturals Aloe and Waterlily (my HG conditioner!)
Rinse Out: Garnier Sleek and Shine, Trevor Sorbie curl conditioner (UK only, unfortunately)
Stylers: KCCC, AG Re:coil, TIGI mousse, but open to suggestions!
Gels: BRHG (my one and only)

CG since 03/28/09