I DT on unwashed hair mostly because I don't want to bother with two showers/cleanings.

I also prefer to DT on dry (or just misted/dampened hair). First, because the DT isn't as likely to drip or run on dryer hair. Second, because I figure that if my hair is already saturated with water, it won't drink up the DT as readily.

I use all sorts of mixtures but usually use a base of coconut milk. I may or may not use coconut oil (which I liquify before mixing the DT), olive oil (not too much for my hair), or sweet almond oil. I usually blend some banana (blend very very well), some avocado, and some honey or agave nectar, plus some aloe vera gel into my DT. I may use some CO or not. For a protein DT I start with a base of plain natural yogurt and maybe an egg.

I stand in the tub and slather/rake it all through, and put on two plastic caps. I recently got a micro heat wrap (LOVE), so I put that on and let 'er rip for about 30 minutes; I might then reheat the cap for more. Before the heat cap, I'd soak a towel in hot water, wring it out, and wrap my head up with it.

Afterward, I rinse very well then proceed as usual. Warning: when I use an egg in my DT, I first rinse well with COOL water only so as not to "cook" the egg in my hair -- very messy!

Sometimes I like to do a simpler DT that I sleep in -- usually just oils smoothed, raked, then carefully combed thru my hair. Wrap up well, go to sleep, then CO-wash in the morning.
2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
Seal with camellia oil
Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
Homemade food-based DTs
RC color