CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   All-natural hair care (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/all-natural-hair-care/)
-   -   Tea Rinses (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/all-natural-hair-care/152678-tea-rinses.html)

Keihs 12-07-2012 02:19 AM

Tea Rinses
 
Anyone tried tea rinses? I've been experimenting with different teas and I'll give you guys updates and its effects. You guys can try it too.

Fmasuhr 12-07-2012 02:07 PM

mmmm i dont really do only tea rinses though i do do herbal acv rinses. it depends on where i am, (germany or australia) and the season, with what herbs i use, i do have my favs though right now im using sage marshmallow root and peppermints tea. then i add a splash of acv and gorgoes fizz free curls! love it!

Keihs 12-07-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fmasuhr (Post 2082190)
mmmm i dont really do only tea rinses though i do do herbal acv rinses. it depends on where i am, (germany or australia) and the season, with what herbs i use, i do have my favs though right now im using sage marshmallow root and peppermints tea. then i add a splash of acv and gorgoes fizz free curls! love it!

I do ACV rinses too and infused them with herbs, like hibiscus, rosehips, and chamomile. I've just been using tea rinses lately because I ran out and I'm just waiting for my new batch to infuse.

Fmasuhr 12-08-2012 07:06 AM

how do you infuse? i love hibiscus and rosehip and chamomile. i use chamomile tea when i dont have much else.

Keihs 12-08-2012 04:27 PM

Well for some, I sort of cheated. For the rosehips, I used rosehip tea bags. It was just an experiment. I would heat up the vinegar and add the tea bags. I used a blend of rosehips, rooibos, and hibiscus. I also tried making hibiscus powder from dried hibiscus and added that. For the chamomile, it is still infusing. I read that you just put the dried chamomile in vinegar and shake it at least once a day for two weeks. The hibiscus, rosehips, and rooibos made a really pretty deep red color. The chamomile also added a nice scent. Not too strong but still there.
I also made a different batch with lemon and orange peels. I also added beets as an experiment, when I read about homemade pickled beets. I absolutely love that one. It smelled sweet, but tangy. You can barely smell the vinegar. I used it as rinse and passed by sister, and even she said I smelled good.

TheCurlyOne 03-02-2013 05:54 AM

Unless its an ingredient with mucilage like Kelp, Marshmallow, Horsetail, Flaxseed etc....I see no point in doing any type of rinse honestly....although coffee rinses are supposed to reduce shedding

Fmasuhr 03-03-2013 09:45 AM

sounds really nice keihs! thats a nice idea infusing it in vinegar, i used to pick the stuff fresh and boil it in water like you should make tea, then i would add a bit of vinegar to it when its cold. in summer i like to use as many fresh herbs as i can. in winter, (im in germany) so its a long winter, i use dried herbs and tea bags

Fronomenal 03-11-2013 10:01 PM

I do tea rinses with tea (black tea, green tea, chamomile tea and peppermint tea) and honey.

I do tea rinses after shampooing. I don't use conditioner after shampooing so tea rinses are nice.

The rinses boost the moisture and sheen of my hair. I think the honey plays a big role in that. I also like honey rinses.

In the future, I'll experiment with marshmallow root rinses and hibiscus rinses.

jeepcurlygurl 03-11-2013 11:19 PM

Over the years I've used different rinses for different reasons. I use vinegar rinses alone for clarifying. I make my tea/herbal rinses with hot water. Sage, rosemary, coffee, black tea to darken hair and for clarifying. Hibiscus to give a reddish hue. Chamomile to brighten my grey hair. I'm sure there were others I've forgotten about.

Fmasuhr 03-15-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fronomenal (Post 2135389)
In the future, I'll experiment with marshmallow root rinses and hibiscus rinses.

thats a great idea! i have a 1kg bag of marshmallow root and love using it in my hair. as i was at mums i picked fresh hibiscus and used that.
they both gives amazing slip. when you boil the marshmallows you get a nice slim out of it, which gives your hair great slip. fresh hibiscus is like that as well. wich is perfect if your hair is as knotty as mine always is.

Fronomenal 03-17-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fmasuhr (Post 2137619)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fronomenal (Post 2135389)
In the future, I'll experiment with marshmallow root rinses and hibiscus rinses.

thats a great idea! i have a 1kg bag of marshmallow root and love using it in my hair. as i was at mums i picked fresh hibiscus and used that.
they both gives amazing slip. when you boil the marshmallows you get a nice slim out of it, which gives your hair great slip. fresh hibiscus is like that as well. wich is perfect if your hair is as knotty as mine always is.

Nice! I'm def gonna experiment with marshmallow root and hibiscus this summer. My hair is prone to dryness and knotting so I'm glad to know they'll help with that.

Fmasuhr 03-19-2013 04:45 AM

that deffinatly helps with dryness. there are two different basic ways you can prepare it, the first one is the easiest of cause, there you just have too boil the water and pour it over let it sit like tea and use once its cooled down of cause.
the second way really gets the slip out of the marshmallow root, though you do need 15 minutes and over night soaking time.
soak the marshmallow root in warm water over night, (the water will of cause go cold by the morning/next day). i use about 2 table spoon to a cup of water, i dont measure it i just eye ball the amounts. slowly and gently boil the water with the marshmallow root in it. let it boil for a minute or so, then take it off the heat so that it stops boiling, leave it for another minute then genlty boil it again. do this for 10-15 minutes, this boiling and cooling progress really gets the stuff out of the marshmallow root. you may need to add a bit more water to it.
at this end stage i would add the hibiscus and let it slowly boil oncce more, then let it cool off, THEN strain the root and hibiscus out. add your vinegar if your using and see how it goes :)
it is a bit of work though its easier as it sounds.

Fronomenal 03-19-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fmasuhr (Post 2139922)
that deffinatly helps with dryness. there are two different basic ways you can prepare it, the first one is the easiest of cause, there you just have too boil the water and pour it over let it sit like tea and use once its cooled down of cause.
the second way really gets the slip out of the marshmallow root, though you do need 15 minutes and over night soaking time.
soak the marshmallow root in warm water over night, (the water will of cause go cold by the morning/next day). i use about 2 table spoon to a cup of water, i dont measure it i just eye ball the amounts. slowly and gently boil the water with the marshmallow root in it. let it boil for a minute or so, then take it off the heat so that it stops boiling, leave it for another minute then genlty boil it again. do this for 10-15 minutes, this boiling and cooling progress really gets the stuff out of the marshmallow root. you may need to add a bit more water to it.
at this end stage i would add the hibiscus and let it slowly boil oncce more, then let it cool off, THEN strain the root and hibiscus out. add your vinegar if your using and see how it goes :)
it is a bit of work though its easier as it sounds.

Thank you for the instructions! I really appreciate it. :)

Fmasuhr 03-22-2013 03:25 PM

no worries :) have fun with it hope it works out for you


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com