Thanks a heap Alannah
I was basically up all night trying to make heads and tails of it all, but think I have worked out at least some kind of semi-scientific method of trial and error that I'm going to try.
I read one of the articles on porosity and curly hair
And basically considered:
- Curly hair cuticles are generally slightly more porous than straight hair cuticles,
- Damaged hair cuticles are generally more porous than healthy hair cuticles,
- Sulfates strip natural oils, damaging the hair
- Cones form an artificial barrier over the hair, causing product build up and more damage
- I have curly hair, and have been using lots of sulfates and cones
Conclusion: I'll assume I'm slightly on the porous side as a starting point.
So I'm going to start with -
Co-Wash: Pears moisturising care (thanks to the forums)
Non-sulfate poo (max once a fortnight): Alchemy Unscented Shampoo
Conditioner: Alchemy Avocado/Calendula
Leave-In: Alchemy Lavender & Anthylis or if that fails that a little of the Pears
Treatment (week 3 or 4): Alchemy Ginko & Jojoba Vitamin Masque
Acid Rinse: 1:4 Apple Cider Vinegar to water
.... And if that's ok after 6 or so weeks then I think I'll try a raw egg treatment immediately before the standard procedure (to work out how it responds to protein) and a couple of weeks after that I think I'll try a coconut oil treatment immediately before the usual procedure (to work out if it likes oil...) and then consider if I need to make changes to the protein/oil content of the products...
It's all ordered, so only a few days til i'll start