Help getting my hair like this

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Korkscrew
  • 1 Post By WurlyLox
  • 1 Post By Korkscrew
  • 1 Post By WurlyLox
  • 1 Post By adthomas
  • 1 Post By Korkscrew

This is Alex Wolff:

Help getting my hair like this-uploadfromtaptalk1356112600259.jpg

I have very similar hair to his like it is in this pic, what type would you say it is?

But I want to know how I can get my hair to look like he has in any one of these pics;

Help getting my hair like this-uploadfromtaptalk1356112715967.jpg

Help getting my hair like this-uploadfromtaptalk1356112735561.jpg

Thank you

Sent from my U20i using CurlTalk App
First, it needs to be as long as his in the last two pictures for you to get nice, complete curls like that.

But even if it isn't that long now, start working now to get it healthy and in the best condition. Stop brushing and combing it, if you do, except maybe to comb conditioner thru in the shower. Cut out sulfates in shampoos and silicones (any ingredients ending in -cone, -conol, -xane . . . I think that's all. It's been a long time since I've tried to list them for someone) in conditioners and styling products. Keep it well-conditioned - all curly hair is drier than straight.

Do use some sort of gel or styling product - you'll likely only get undefined curls and frizz without any, more like Wolff's in the very first picture. Styling product helps it form a cast as it dries, freezing the curls' shape into place and helping to prevent frizz. Most have better results if they apply it right out of the shower while their hair is still pretty wet. Scrunch it thru your hair to distribute it and get your curls going well. Then simply air dry or if you must use a hair dryer, always use a diffuser, keeping your hands off your hair as you do so. Also keep your hands off of it until it's absolutely dry, and then only to scrunch out any crunch from your styling product - that cast I mentioned. If you do that while there's any moisture left in it, you'll likely get frizz and not nice, defined curls, but if you do it when truly dry, it'll break up that cast, get rid of the wet look, and your curls will last better because they're fully "cooked", LOL!

All of that is just some basics, but you can find all manner of tips here. See the stickies at the tops of both the Newbies and General Discussion About Curly Hair forums for some of the most common/most popular tips and tricks. If you happen on someone, male or female, along the way with the sort of hair you want, stalk them to see what they're doing and using. Don't be afraid to ask them questions - most will be flattered and glad to help. We've all been there!

HTH
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Last edited by WurlyLox; 12-21-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Thank you. So when my hair is that long what would I need to style it like that? And what is that hairtype?

Sent from my U20i using CurlTalk App
Seems like Alex has perhaps 3a/3b curls, solely based on those pics, but it's hard to really know. What Wurly is calling "frizz" might be indicative of another, tighter curl pattern mixed in to the others. It's just hard to know. (Also, careful not to get too caught up on controlling frizz. You could become a product junky).

But she gave you pretty good basic advice to start you on your way to healthier curls. You may or may not find that gels help your hair. Many have too much alcohol and end up drying the hair more. Just try COwashing only, first. It's cheaper if that alone hydrates your curls.

You can comb your hair, just do it while it's wet and w/conditioner on it. Another thing you can do is "finger comb" - using your fingers like you would a comb. Experiment.

Wurly's right about growing your hair out (assuming it's as short or shorter than the first pic). But be prepared: your hair may not look just like this guy's. Each head of hair is amazingly different, even keeping "type" in mind. The goal IMO, is to ultimately embrace your own unique set of curls, regardless of how much or how little they end up resembling someone else's
WurlyLox likes this.
3b/c?

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums
ITA with most everything Korkscrew had to say but just wanted to clarify that there are many gels that don't have alcohol - in fact, I've seen very few that do. You'll probably be safe with most of the ones you see people around here using.

Sorry if it sounded as if I was saying you shouldn't comb at all, just not dry - mainly just with conditioner in it when it's wet. And, yeah, plenty of people only ever finger comb.

Yep, being willing to experiment is crucial. Some of what others do will work for you, some won't. My tip about finding someone to stalk just sometimes help narrow things down some when you're so overwhelmed by everything you find here.

I suggested gel because most here find that it gives them some control and a bit more consistency in their results, although once it's scrunched out, hair doesn't look "styled" or anything - it just helps keep the look you achieve.

Once it's good and healthy and hydrated, it'll probably take less and less "doing" and product - you can pretty much just let it do its thing as long as you maintain that health and hydration. But still no dry combing or brushing, LOL!

P.S. - My hair used to be much curlier, so I know more about what you're working with than you might think to look at mine now
Korkscrew likes this.
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Last edited by WurlyLox; 12-27-2012 at 04:37 PM.
I suggested gel because most here find that it gives them some control and a bit more consistency in their results, although once it's scrunched out, hair doesn't look "styled" or anything - it just helps keep the look you achieve.
Originally Posted by WurlyLox
I'm not sure about "most", but yes, quite a few. Because quite a few instead use the conditioner-only method, so that the conditioner becomes a means of "shampooing" as well as a an actual conditioner PLUS a styler, which, if you can pull it off, is actually cheaper and less complicated than buying gels or otherwise layering products. It's another reason to try using conditioner only first ... Also, there are many who use some sort of oil instead of gel. "Need" for gels or other stylers often depends on how strong your curl pattern is to begin with, how high your porosity is and the relative humidity/dew point in your area.

Yes, there are non-alcohol based commercial gels but it seems to me many popularly used ones do have alcohol, often as one of the first ingredients. So I'd say just be mindful.
WurlyLox likes this.
3b/c?

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums
I suggested gel because most here find that it gives them some control and a bit more consistency in their results, although once it's scrunched out, hair doesn't look "styled" or anything - it just helps keep the look you achieve.
Originally Posted by WurlyLox
I'm not sure about "most", but yes, quite a few. Because quite a few instead use the conditioner-only method, so that the conditioner becomes a means of "shampooing" as well as a an actual conditioner PLUS a styler, which, if you can pull it off, is actually cheaper and less complicated than buying gels or otherwise layering products. It's another reason to try using conditioner only first ... Also, there are many who use some sort of oil instead of gel. "Need" for gels or other stylers often depends on how strong your curl pattern is to begin with, how high your porosity is and the relative humidity/dew point in your area.

Yes, there are non-alcohol based commercial gels but it seems to me many popularly used ones do have alcohol, often as one of the first ingredients. So I'd say just be mindful.
Originally Posted by Korkscrew
Strange. I always read labels before trying anything new, and I've seen very few gels with alcohols other than cetyl, cetearyl, stearyl alcohols, etc., which are beneficial, desirable fatty alcohols used as emolients in many products.

You definitely do want to avoid SD alcohol, denatured, isopropyl alchols and such - Maybe this would help differentiate good alcohols from bad as you try to figure out what you want to try.

Co-washing is great if you're one who it works for, but it doesn't for a lot of us - some need to at least occasionally low-poo. Certainly try just co-washing first - if less works for you, you're blessed. But even if it does, many still need the help of gels and/or other styling products to retain/maintain the nice curls they achieve - at least in some weather/dew points. Figuring all that out is what generally requires some experimentation.
Korkscrew likes this.
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
Me also have the hair like this and I am also going to be follow these instructions made by the respectable members.I hope it would be helpful for me.I have a problem that is my hair fall but it is not much.So,what do you think that it will be possible for me?
Originally Posted by smithjoe
Everything we've recommended here is pretty basic for anyone with curly hair, so, yes, it should help you, regardless of what degree of curl you have. Getting your hair healthier may help with the hair loss you're having, depending on its actual cause - can't do much about heredity if that's the culprit.
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
Strange. I always read labels before trying anything new, and I've seen very few gels with alcohols other than cetyl, cetearyl, stearyl alcohols, etc., which are beneficial, desirable fatty alcohols used as emolients in many products.

You definitely do want to avoid SD alcohol, denatured, isopropyl alchols and such - Maybe this would help differentiate good alcohols from bad as you try to figure out what you want to try.
Originally Posted by WurlyLox
Good link.

Co-washing is great if you're one who it works for, but it doesn't for a lot of us - some need to at least occasionally low-poo. Certainly try just co-washing first - if less works for you, you're blessed. But even if it does, many still need the help of gels and/or other styling products to retain/maintain the nice curls they achieve - at least in some weather/dew points. Figuring all that out is what generally requires some experimentation.
It's definitely most sensible to apply a minimalist philosophy when starting your hair journey. It can save decades of extra time, money and additional need for frequent clarification shampoos.

So if you're a newby, no need to inundate yourself w/a bunch of prospective styling agents all at once. The idea is to give co-wash only a chance first, then move on if that's not adequate IMO. I know plenty of ppl w/curly hair who either use the conditioner only method, or use co-washing plus an oil as styler (being mindful that even the basic co-wash only method probably will entail using an occasional clarifying shampoo). That said, I agree w/much of what Wurly has said. (I think we're agreeing more than not, actually.)

... And one more thing, you may find that even co-washing isn't something that works for you. You'll find these things out
3b/c?

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums
I suggested gel because most here find that it gives them some control and a bit more consistency in their results, although once it's scrunched out, hair doesn't look "styled" or anything - it just helps keep the look you achieve.
Originally Posted by WurlyLox
I'm not sure about "most", but yes, quite a few. Because quite a few instead use the conditioner-only method, so that the conditioner becomes a means of "shampooing" as well as a an actual conditioner PLUS a styler, which, if you can pull it off, is actually cheaper and less complicated than buying gels or otherwise layering products. It's another reason to try using conditioner only first ... Also, there are many who use some sort of oil instead of gel. "Need" for gels or other stylers often depends on how strong your curl pattern is to begin with, how high your porosity is and the relative humidity/dew point in your area.

Yes, there are non-alcohol based commercial gels but it seems to me many popularly used ones do have alcohol, often as one of the first ingredients. So I'd say just be mindful.
Originally Posted by Korkscrew
I found my hair only needs gel in the summer when it's humid to combat frizz. Otherwise I like to style with conditioner and oil.
Korkscrew likes this.
AdThomas, this is only based on anecdotal evidence, but I swear ... it seems like a lot of curlies I know who have a STRONG curl pattern can actually do exactly what you just said: use only conditioner and/or oil w/ maybe some gel in humidity.

And then it's like there are some from every curly hair "category" that will automatically buy a lot of gels and other styling products because it's just fun to try things out, or because of curl junky tendencies, or even just perfectionistic thinking.

I count myself as a being at fault for occasional perfectionism. I mean really: I don't actually need my KCCC or my occasional oil or gel to have a reasonably decent head of natural curls. My hair isn't going to fall off my skull or blow away w/out all my additives; I'll be okay if things get a little frizzy. I think there's a lot of pressure for us curlies to have our curls look "tamed", well-managed, "polished" and frizz-free. You know: rules. Ugh. I'm not trying to act righteous here cause I know I give in to the pressure sometimes. Just a thought
Hootenanny likes this.
3b/c?

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com