Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > General Discussion about Curly Hair

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 52
Default Set it Free - how to use?

Do you use SIF before you put on your gel or after? Also, how much do you use?

Any other tips on how to use this stuff?

Thanks!
gotcurls? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
 
Ab-star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,081
Send a message via MSN to Ab-star
Default

I use about 4 pumps, sprayed in my hands, to scrunch out the crunch after my hair is fully dry. I also use it on second day hair to tame the frizzies. For second day hair I generally use a couple pumps and smooth it over.
__________________
MY HAIR ALBUM
pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
Ab-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
 
1curlydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
I use about 4 pumps, sprayed in my hands, to scrunch out the crunch after my hair is fully dry. I also use it on second day hair to tame the frizzies. For second day hair I generally use a couple pumps and smooth it over.
Ditto. Except I scrunch it in second day hair too. I love it!
__________________
thick 3b; currently loving Devacurl and Kinky-Curly

1curlydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
 
Darby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,113
Send a message via Yahoo to Darby
Default

I do the same. I mostly just use it on second day hair. Spray 4 sprays into my hands and scrunch in.
__________________
PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:59 AM   #5
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,342
Default

Devachan told me to spray it into soaking wet hair before Angell (use about 3-4 pumps on midlength and ends) and then apply gel. Scrunch with paper towels and clip. Use 1-2 light sprays (mist) over clips. Let dry and then spray a small amt. into my hands, rub them together well and scrunch out the my hair.

I have no luck with 2nd day hair with it. It leaves my hair dull and frizzy. However, after learning their technique I've finally had success. It really does add some shine and hold.
__________________
3a Colored, Layered
Currently loving:
Cond: CJ Strengthing, Marie Dean, CJ Curl Rehab
Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab
Gelly: UFDCM, Paul Brown Geletine Goo
Towel - HG - Curls Like Us

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products
icequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
 
Gemini13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,869
Default

I like it best on post-plopping, damp hair. After I take my hair out of the towel I spray some on my hands then smooth them over my hair.
__________________
Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
HG products:
Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
Gemini13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
 
LadyCurlyLocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 586
Send a message via Yahoo to LadyCurlyLocks
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini13
I like it best on post-plopping, damp hair. After I take my hair out of the towel I spray some on my hands then smooth them over my hair.
That's what I do! Works great. I also use it on frizzy spots by spraying a little on my fingers and smoothing over the problem areas.
__________________
3B Corkscrew... I'm back on the boards now! Just got The Big Chop on Monday, pics coming soon.
LadyCurlyLocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
 
Ladydncing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,240
Default

This weekend Devachan styled my hair with just SIF!
I didn't think that it was going to hold. I always use
gel. He applied it to sopping wet hair and raked it in,
dried it and viola!
__________________
Maya
3b/c CG routine
HG line DevaCurl
Password: Locks

Ladydncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:44 PM   #9
 
1curlydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
This weekend Devachan styled my hair with just SIF!
Wow, really? How much did he use? Do you usually need a lot of hold? I just might have to try this.
__________________
thick 3b; currently loving Devacurl and Kinky-Curly

1curlydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:29 PM   #10
 
Ab-star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,081
Send a message via MSN to Ab-star
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydncing
This weekend Devachan styled my hair with just SIF!
I didn't think that it was going to hold. I always use
gel. He applied it to sopping wet hair and raked it in,
dried it and viola!
No kidding! My hair is not as curly as yours but I still would like to try this one day. I'll bet there was no crunch at all!
__________________
MY HAIR ALBUM
pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
Ab-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:04 AM   #11
 
HalfWavyHalfCurly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,450
Default

Can someone please list the ingredients of SIF here? I was at the website the other night and looked everywhere but I guess now they don't list the ingredients of the products anymore... Thanks!
__________________
2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC
HalfWavyHalfCurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:18 AM   #12
 
Ladydncing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,240
Default

Nope, no crunch at all. Lovely touchable curls! He used a bit more in the back because it tends to be a bit curly back there (maybe 5 sprays) and just raked and played with my hair. He used maybe 3-4 sprays in the front.

Note: He also left a lot of conditioner in my hair. He left about 80% and applied a bit more especially to the end. If you are going to try this, you may need to adjust depending your curl type. HTH
__________________
Maya
3b/c CG routine
HG line DevaCurl
Password: Locks

Ladydncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:20 AM   #13
 
Ladydncing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,240
Default

Here ya go!

Key Ingredients: Aqueous Extracts of: Achilea Millefolium, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria), Cymbopogon Schoenanthus, Humulus Lupulus (Hops), Melissa Offcinalis (Balm Mint), Rosmarinus Offcinalis (Rosemary), Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Isopropyl Myristate, Acrylates/C12-22 Alkylmethacrylate Copolymer, Ceteareth-20, PVP, Beeswax, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Lipids, Sodium Hydroxide, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance.
__________________
Maya
3b/c CG routine
HG line DevaCurl
Password: Locks

Ladydncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:20 AM   #14
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,242
Default

I can easily believe that SiF atop a lot of conditioner would work well; but who can afford it? I love SiF, I think it is one of their best products, but I definitely have to use it to augment the cheaper Angell. I just need too much product to use it as the primary holding agent.
st. louis blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:04 PM   #15
 
Ladydncing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louis blue
I can easily believe that SiF atop a lot of conditioner would work well; but who can afford it? I love SiF, I think it is one of their best products, but I definitely have to use it to augment the cheaper Angell. I just need too much product to use it as the primary holding agent.
I agree. Personally, I prefer AnGell besides I can get 2nd hair day with gel. I was unable to get it with SIF.
__________________
Maya
3b/c CG routine
HG line DevaCurl
Password: Locks

Ladydncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #16
 
HalfWavyHalfCurly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,450
Default

Thanks Maya!
__________________
2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC
HalfWavyHalfCurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:59 AM   #17
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydncing
Nope, no crunch at all. Lovely touchable curls! He used a bit more in the back because it tends to be a bit curly back there (maybe 5 sprays) and just raked and played with my hair. He used maybe 3-4 sprays in the front.

Note: He also left a lot of conditioner in my hair. He left about 80% and applied a bit more especially to the end. If you are going to try this, you may need to adjust depending your curl type. HTH

OMG!! that is amazing!! Did you hair get poofy or big by the end of day? I might try this on a day I have no plans!!! Sounds too good to be true for my hair though
curlsofny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:00 PM   #18
 
Ladydncing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlsofny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydncing
Nope, no crunch at all. Lovely touchable curls! He used a bit more in the back because it tends to be a bit curly back there (maybe 5 sprays) and just raked and played with my hair. He used maybe 3-4 sprays in the front.

Note: He also left a lot of conditioner in my hair. He left about 80% and applied a bit more especially to the end. If you are going to try this, you may need to adjust depending your curl type. HTH

OMG!! that is amazing!! Did you hair get poofy or big by the end of day? I might try this on a day I have no plans!!! Sounds too good to be true for my hair though
No, not at all. Hair looked lovely for exactly one day. I tried to get 2nd day and couldn't. I had to re-wet then next day and applied gel instead.
__________________
Maya
3b/c CG routine
HG line DevaCurl
Password: Locks

Ladydncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #19
 
Darby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,113
Send a message via Yahoo to Darby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen
Devachan told me to spray it into soaking wet hair before Angell (use about 3-4 pumps on midlength and ends) and then apply gel. Scrunch with paper towels and clip. Use 1-2 light sprays (mist) over clips. Let dry and then spray a small amt. into my hands, rub them together well and scrunch out the my hair.

I have no luck with 2nd day hair with it. It leaves my hair dull and frizzy. However, after learning their technique I've finally had success. It really does add some shine and hold.
Are you still having luck with that? I just went to a Lorraine M. taught person and she told me to put the SIF in soaking wet hair too. I hadn't been using it like that and so I couldn't decide if I liked it or not but now I'm going to try it in wet hair. And she taught me how to put clips in.
Do you get second day hair with these products?
__________________
PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:41 AM   #20
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 571
Default

I have been using it this way, after reading this post & love the way my hair looks! I leave in the One C (a pretty decent amount) & just use SIF as my styler. I sometimes drop a little Confident Coils on first - but my hair does not look crunchy & so far (knock on wood) looks soft & defined.
curlsofny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com