CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   General Discussion about Curly Hair (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/)
-   -   ~~LINKS to NC threads on dermatitis, eczema, allergies, itch, iffy ingredients, etc. (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/112757-%7E%7Elinks-nc-threads-dermatitis-eczema-allergies-itch-iffy-ingredients-etc.html)

MirCurls 09-06-2010 03:28 PM

~~LINKS to NC threads on dermatitis, eczema, allergies, itch, iffy ingredients, etc.
 
Threads on Curltalk Useful for Curlies with Allergies or HyperReactive Issues

cyclopentasiloxane, mineral oil, wax, etc condishs
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=10253

Overwhelmed Newbie with Allergies...product recs
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...d.php?t=112468

Itchy Scalp = Glycol Allergy?
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...d.php?t=104473

Seborrheic Dermatitis. Anyone else deal with this?
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=89245


Stopping the Itchies
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...d.php?t=111955

Cowash and Allergies
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...d.php?t=110712

Sensitive Skin Curlies
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...d.php?t=102500

Curlies with Gluten Sensitivity or Intolerance
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=93657

Fragrance Free / Unscented Products
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=87199

Insane Itchiness-- Help!
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...d.php?t=107243

Need Product Recs for my 2a hair and Allergies
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=95648

Anyone have allergic reactions to products containing citrus?
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...d.php?t=107839

Seborrheic Dermatitis: Raw Honey Treatment
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...d.php?t=110948

Any ideas for flakes?
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=98010

Tried EVERYTHING and my scalp won't stop itching
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=96468

Bad shampoo ingredient list needed now that I have eczema
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=86599

Question...I have a pretty big sore on my scalp
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=91968

I'm new here with a big problem (please help)
Note: read if you have weird build-up / sebum issues due to good responses
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=91075

Is this sebum buildup or oily dandruff?
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=21489

No Fail Flax Seed Gel--I finally did it... TWICE
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=61208

GENTLE cheap non-sulfate shampoos?
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=84990

Skincare impact of Haircare
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=10415


Heads up for Newbies: YOU CAN DO A FORUM search for all of Curltalk threads (and forum specific searches) on topics related to your issues/interests (eg. eczema) as long as the search term is more then 3 letters. Look at the "Search" feature on the forum page.

~~If one of the links is messed up or I made an error, please drop a post with corrected link url or what I need to fix. THANKS.

If I missed a Curltalk thread discussing useful products/techniques/treatments for allergic/eczema/dermatitis/etc issues with scalp/hair care (that is NOT listed, mind you), please post with the link to the Curltalk thread or NC.com article, and I will post it to this OP.

Thanks...hope this helps other curlies with sensitivities...

pedaheh 09-06-2010 04:45 PM

I'm not sure if this one fits in the thread or not.
Dandruff vs. dry scalp (Laura Lee's thread)
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=67748

Off to read gentle cheap shampoos.:happy7:

MirCurls 09-07-2010 11:13 AM

Yeah, I had looked at that thread and pondered whether to put in or not and leaned towards not. BUT...since you have the link there, people can check it out.

I added this thread to the sticky one on TECHNIQUES, since some of the threads give tips on how to use sugar scrubs and rinses and etc for these conditions.

irishwavie79 09-21-2010 01:17 PM

Thanks! This is great! I think it would also help if there were a forum for people with allergies/sensitivies etc... :happy10: Just a suggestion!

MirCurls 09-21-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishwavie79 (Post 1476380)
Thanks! This is great! I think it would also help if there were a forum for people with allergies/sensitivies etc... :happy10: Just a suggestion!

That would be nice. For now, just head to the "health-related hair" subforum. Start a thread.

hoho 09-22-2010 08:32 PM

I'm not sure if this one fits in the thread or not.

IAgirl 09-24-2010 10:20 AM

I didn't see anything related to removing allergens from the hair.
If you have (or suspect you have) allergies to dust mites, dogs or cats, pollen, fungi (mold) -- things that blow around in the air and sit on surfaces, you will feel better if you at least rinse your scalp after exposure to those things! And at least during your allergy season -- unless you've got year-round allergies like I do. Allergies can cause itchy scalp systemically, but the contact with allergens in your hair and on your scalp can give cause itching etc. as well.
It also helps to have an allergen-proof pillowcase and mattress cover and wash sheets weekly, either in very hot water (130 degrees, hotter than most of us have our water heaters set) or to add 30-50 drops of tea tree oil to the wash cycle to kill dust mites. (the scent goes away when the sheets are dry)
Dust from roads and fields and calcium chloride used to control dust are also irritants that need to be rinsed off.
Because some of these allergens will "stick" to your scalp/hair, sometimes a shampooing (co-wash... I'm not sure) is the only way to get them to go down the drain.

Gretchen 10-05-2010 12:39 PM

Who has Word Press experience and would like to add these to our topics areas? I will offer you hair care product as a thank you!

Email me at gretchen@naturallycurly.com

MirCurls 10-05-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 1488736)
Who has Word Press experience and would like to add these to our topics areas? I will offer you hair care product as a thank you!

Email me at gretchen@naturallycurly.com

I hope someone takes you up on it. Lots of us with allergies on here.

The only WordPress I ever heard of is the blogging thing. :) Otherwise, I'd have helped with this.

starlightstarbright 10-24-2010 05:26 PM

Awesome list! Thanks for this!!

starlightstarbright 10-24-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAgirl (Post 1479144)
I didn't see anything related to removing allergens from the hair.
If you have (or suspect you have) allergies to dust mites, dogs or cats, pollen, fungi (mold) -- things that blow around in the air and sit on surfaces, you will feel better if you at least rinse your scalp after exposure to those things! And at least during your allergy season -- unless you've got year-round allergies like I do. Allergies can cause itchy scalp systemically, but the contact with allergens in your hair and on your scalp can give cause itching etc. as well.
It also helps to have an allergen-proof pillowcase and mattress cover and wash sheets weekly, either in very hot water (130 degrees, hotter than most of us have our water heaters set) or to add 30-50 drops of tea tree oil to the wash cycle to kill dust mites. (the scent goes away when the sheets are dry)
Dust from roads and fields and calcium chloride used to control dust are also irritants that need to be rinsed off.
Because some of these allergens will "stick" to your scalp/hair, sometimes a shampooing (co-wash... I'm not sure) is the only way to get them to go down the drain.



Perfect, well said and I'm taking note

KurleeEdna 05-03-2011 05:25 PM

Thanks for the posts MirCurls and everyone.
Of course, now I'm itching again just by reading them...

yennimarie 10-19-2012 06:47 PM

Thanks for this awesome thread! :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com