CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   General Discussion about Curly Hair (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/)
-   -   Help me find a haircut! (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/13177-help-me-find-haircut.html)

Befrizzled 01-07-2007 07:22 PM

Help me find a haircut!
 
I plan on getting a haircut this week, and I want something different. When it's straight, my hair is about to my (sorry for the odd descriptiion) armpits, a bit longer. I wear my hair straight or pulled back more often than curly, and curly, it's not more than a few inches below my shoulders, if that. I've got some pics on my myspace (WWW button), but if you're not my friend, you can't view them--so you can either friend me or I can post pics on the thread. The main pic up is of my straight hair. It just kind of hangs. I really want it to look great both straight and curly, and I don't really want to sacrifice a lot of length becayse of shrinkage--I think my curls look best around this length, perhaps a little shorter. I was thinking maybe some long bangs, but not the kind that drape across my face, but the kind that are split where my part is. I don't really know. I'm pretty clueless. Advice, pretty please?

ETA: I know this belongs on the hair boards, but I've tried there before and got nothing.

sew and sew 01-07-2007 10:52 PM

Ahh man, I wish I knew what exactly this guy does who cuts my hair. What you said about something that works for straight and curly is exactly what he manages to do. I guess in the most basic sense it's just shorter on the sides and gradually gets longer and the longest section is directly in back. That kind of haircut sets up a good context for face framing pieces that can be a little longer than standard bangs. He might do a slight layering thing too, he never really explains! I bet you'll get some good ideas here, but if you still don't have one once you go in for the cut, just make sure you get someone good and by all means let them know you want it to look nice both curly and straight.

Befrizzled 01-08-2007 05:38 AM

The girl I go to is amazing, and my cuts work both ways easily, but I'm looking for something different, something to spice it up some. I have face framing pieces, but those grow longer so fast, and I may go a few months in between cuts, which is why I want something to last a little longer--hence the long bangs that will grow out to still be face framing. I'm just not sure if that's a bad idea.

CurlyCanadian 01-08-2007 06:27 AM

Re: Help me find a haircut!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Befrizzled
I was thinking maybe some long bangs, but not the kind that drape across my face, but the kind that are split where my part is. I don't really know. I'm pretty clueless. Advice, pretty please?

Thats pretty much how my hair is. Some really long layers throughout and long bangs (about ear length). I also wear mine straight most of the time, so I like that it has some style to it either way.

I would just Google Image "Hairstyles" and see if anything catches your eye. Print off the pics and take them into the hairdressers with you and see what they say!

sew and sew 01-08-2007 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Befrizzled
long bangs that will grow out to still be face framing. I'm just not sure if that's a bad idea.

It's not in theory, I'm sure it depends on the individual to a degree, but that's exactly what happened with my hair. Those pieces gradually got longer and now shouldn't be considered 'bangs' though they started there. From looking at your main pic on myspace I think pieces that long would suit you.

Second searching out some pics and getting the hairdressers opinion if it would work, especially since she is a pretty good one. GL :)

Befrizzled 01-09-2007 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westcoastwaves
Quote:

Originally Posted by Befrizzled
long bangs that will grow out to still be face framing. I'm just not sure if that's a bad idea.

It's not in theory, I'm sure it depends on the individual to a degree, but that's exactly what happened with my hair. Those pieces gradually got longer and now shouldn't be considered 'bangs' though they started there. From looking at your main pic on myspace I think pieces that long would suit you.

Second searching out some pics and getting the hairdressers opinion if it would work, especially since she is a pretty good one. GL :)

Yeah, I'm feeling like my hair is looking ill in that picture. :lol: That's after about a month and a half of growing out, so I want something that'll grow out a little more... gracefully. It still looks great curly, but since my hair is straight more often, that's what's got to count at the moment. I think maybe if I start about at my ear, then they'll grow to about my chin in a month or two, which will be about when I next get a cut. My appt is today, so I'll just hope for the best! And yeah, definitely asking for her advice. :)

Befrizzled 01-09-2007 04:54 PM

She was so excited I wanted something new! She took off about 2 inches, so now my hair is a bit below my collarbone, which is about the shortest I ever want it. curly, it'll probably be above my shoulders (cringe), but if I don't like it, I'll keep it straight until it's a good curly length. I've got bangs now. They're a bit shorter than I wanted, but still long and I'm not disappointed. I really like it. It'll take some time getting used to it, but I'm pleased, and my mom likes it too, so that's a plus. I came home and my brother said, "You know what wouldl look awesome with that? Black highlights!" And he's totally right. Just a few peaking out from underneath. I've always wanted a sleeker, edgier cut, and while this is still fairly "normal," it's also edgier than anything I've had, and I'm really dying for those highlights. I'm looking at a semi-permanent color, but do those just fade out? I don't want to touch them up or have to dye my hair back to my normal color. I just want something that fades out after a month or two of shampoos. I also don't know how I'd do them, other than going back to my stylist and having her do them. Especially after today, I totally trust her (and she's amazing with color--she did highlights for me in high school that were killer), but I don't know if I want to drop the money on it.

sew and sew 01-09-2007 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Befrizzled
She was so excited I wanted something new! She took off about 2 inches, so now my hair is a bit below my collarbone, which is about the shortest I ever want it. curly, it'll probably be above my shoulders (cringe), but if I don't like it, I'll keep it straight until it's a good curly length. I've got bangs now. They're a bit shorter than I wanted, but still long and I'm not disappointed. I really like it. It'll take some time getting used to it, but I'm pleased, and my mom likes it too, so that's a plus. I came home and my brother said, "You know what wouldl look awesome with that? Black highlights!" And he's totally right. Just a few peaking out from underneath. I've always wanted a sleeker, edgier cut, and while this is still fairly "normal," it's also edgier than anything I've had, and I'm really dying for those highlights. I'm looking at a semi-permanent color, but do those just fade out? I don't want to touch them up or have to dye my hair back to my normal color. I just want something that fades out after a month or two of shampoos. I also don't know how I'd do them, other than going back to my stylist and having her do them. Especially after today, I totally trust her (and she's amazing with color--she did highlights for me in high school that were killer), but I don't know if I want to drop the money on it.

Cool!! I'm glad you liked it. It does sound edgier but the perfect amount of edginess to familiarize yourself with edge :lol: If you learn to love it, you can either stay there or opt for a little more and amp it up. I like your brother's idea. My hair was recently cut to a length that when curly...stopped at my shoulders, but only for the first day. Kind of odd, it's now slightly below the shoulders while all curled up and much further down when loosened into waves.

It sounds like a good length, especially if you get over the initial shock of the curly length. Maybe it's mainly the perception when you first see it, but if our hair is anything alike in that sense, you might find the when curled length to be alright.

No idea about the staying power of the color and what the best option is there, so consider this a bump :P

Befrizzled 01-10-2007 01:39 PM

What's your curl type? I'm a 3A, but much looser when a stylist dries it. It's funny, because every hair stylist I've been to says my hair isn't all that curly, but they really just don't know how to do it. They rough it up with their hands and say, "See? It won't shrink that much." When I dry my hair curly, it's been known to shrink several inches. I keep saying I'll go in with my hair curly one time just so she could see, but I always forget, until she reminds me that her hair is curlier than mine. From what I've seen, it's not, but ok. :wink:

I'm liking the style more today than I did yesterday, but I got to do it myself this morning. My boyfriend did not react well to the black lowlights/highlights/whatever suggestion ("But your hair is so pretty! Don't ruin it!"), so maybe I'll just pass on them. He's been a sport with me losing some length (he cringes a little every time I say I'm getting a cut--he says he likes my hair equally straight and curly, but his hands are all up in it when it's curly :lol:), and he said he really likes the cut, so I'll stop the changes here for now. This may be my new standard cut for a while, though. It'll be ok in a professional setting, but it's also less... prissy for the rock shows I go to. :lol:

Katerina 01-11-2007 07:48 AM

Re: Help me find a haircut!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Befrizzled
I plan on getting a haircut this week, and I want something different. When it's straight, my hair is about to my (sorry for the odd descriptiion) armpits, a bit longer. I wear my hair straight or pulled back more often than curly, and curly, it's not more than a few inches below my shoulders, if that. I've got some pics on my myspace (WWW button), but if you're not my friend, you can't view them--so you can either friend me or I can post pics on the thread. The main pic up is of my straight hair. It just kind of hangs. I really want it to look great both straight and curly, and I don't really want to sacrifice a lot of length becayse of shrinkage--I think my curls look best around this length, perhaps a little shorter. I was thinking maybe some long bangs, but not the kind that drape across my face, but the kind that are split where my part is. I don't really know. I'm pretty clueless. Advice, pretty please?

Ladies' Home Journal has a link to try styles with your picture. I haven't used it myself, but I know that it exists. I'm thinking that the url is www.lhj.com, but you can do a search to see what the exact url is. LHJ also has had articles about curly hair, if memory serves. Hope that helps you some.

ETA: I know this belongs on the hair boards, but I've tried there before and got nothing.


sew and sew 01-11-2007 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Befrizzled
What's your curl type? I'm a 3A, but much looser when a stylist dries it. It's funny, because every hair stylist I've been to says my hair isn't all that curly, but they really just don't know how to do it. They rough it up with their hands and say, "See? It won't shrink that much." When I dry my hair curly, it's been known to shrink several inches. I keep saying I'll go in with my hair curly one time just so she could see, but I always forget, until she reminds me that her hair is curlier than mine. From what I've seen, it's not, but ok. :wink:

I'm liking the style more today than I did yesterday, but I got to do it myself this morning. My boyfriend did not react well to the black lowlights/highlights/whatever suggestion ("But your hair is so pretty! Don't ruin it!"), so maybe I'll just pass on them. He's been a sport with me losing some length (he cringes a little every time I say I'm getting a cut--he says he likes my hair equally straight and curly, but his hands are all up in it when it's curly :lol:), and he said he really likes the cut, so I'll stop the changes here for now. This may be my new standard cut for a while, though. It'll be ok in a professional setting, but it's also less... prissy for the rock shows I go to. :lol:

My curls are 3b. I've thought I should probably go in with my hair totally natural sometime because I also get the impression the true nature of my hair isn't understood.

I understand your rationale for liking where it's at now, the bolded is a good point. Bad cuts are sometimes easy to reason yourself out of feeling dissapointed 'it's just hair, it'll grow back' but there's nothing sweeter than getting a fresh style that actually works out and you can really like.

Befrizzled 01-11-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westcoastwaves
but there's nothing sweeter than getting a fresh style that actually works out and you can really like.

Totally and completely true. I'm officially now in love with the cut. I was experimenting with a more.. I really can't think of another word other than vixen-y, with slightly poofier and a wave, where I don't flat iron my bangs but just blow dry them, so there's a different texture and volume to them. I haven't tried curly yet, but there's all this new stuff I can do! I've always wanted bangs that looked good (unlike my 6th grade ones...ugh), so I'm quite excited I can pull them off! :D


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com