Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > General Discussion about Curly Hair

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
 
SegB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 693
Talking Marie Dean Products

Hello Curlies!

So I received some Marie Dean products in the mail today!

Ordered:

Curly Styling Cream
Coconut Vanilla Conditioner

Received samples of:

Red Clover Honey Leave In Conditioner
Amla Hair Creme

I was wondering if anyone has experience with these particular products and if so, any combinations that are working for you...Such as do you pair anything with the CSC, AHC or the Red Clover LI? What low poos work well with the conditioners?

Any general tips when using these products? I have heard to go with a lighter hand as these products are very rich...Anything else?

Thanks!
__________________
2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
SegB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
 
kathymack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegB View Post
Hello Curlies!

So I received some Marie Dean products in the mail today!

Ordered:

Curly Styling Cream
Coconut Vanilla Conditioner

Received samples of:

Red Clover Honey Leave In Conditioner
Amla Hair Creme

I was wondering if anyone has experience with these particular products and if so, any combinations that are working for you...Such as do you pair anything with the CSC, AHC or the Red Clover LI? What low poos work well with the conditioners?

Any general tips when using these products? I have heard to go with a lighter hand as these products are very rich...Anything else?

Thanks!
The Amla Creme is new, so I never used it. If you use the Coconut Vanilla Conditioner as your rinse out, you can use one of the other products as a styler. They are too rich to use more then one as a styler. You can use the Coconut Vanilla Conditioner as a styler, too. Same conditions--only one. Other then that, they "play" well with everything.
__________________
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
 
SegB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymack View Post
The Amla Creme is new, so I never used it. If you use the Coconut Vanilla Conditioner as your rinse out, you can use one of the other products as a styler. They are too rich to use more then one as a styler. You can use the Coconut Vanilla Conditioner as a styler, too. Same conditions--only one. Other then that, they "play" well with everything.
Thanks Kam...Used the conditioner this morning and LOVED it. So moisturizing but didn't weigh me down. I styled with KCKT and KCCC and so far it looks like a good hair day.

I know you use 'minute' amounts...For your hair, what does that mean? A pea size? Penny? Nickel?

Also, I do need something on top of any cream/LI, as for some reason, I need something that is going to give me some "crunch" after diffusing to scrunch out. Otherwise I get dry and frizzy. Any recommendations for what to top the CSC?

Also, does Adrienne always send samples like that with every order?

Thanks!
__________________
2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
SegB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
 
kathymack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegB View Post

Thanks Kam...Used the conditioner this morning and LOVED it. So moisturizing but didn't weigh me down. I styled with KCKT and KCCC and so far it looks like a good hair day.

I know you use 'minute' amounts...For your hair, what does that mean? A pea size? Penny? Nickel?

Also, I do need something on top of any cream/LI, as for some reason, I need something that is going to give me some "crunch" after diffusing to scrunch out. Otherwise I get dry and frizzy. Any recommendations for what to top the CSC?

Also, does Adrienne always send samples like that with every order?

Thanks!
I have acrylic nails that aren't really long. I use a backwards scoop (maybe a little bigger then a pea) and smooth on the canopy. Then do the same and smooth on under layers upside down. Finger comb and scrunch in. I do this with each layer. I've never found a jelly product with which they didn't work well.

She does send samples with every order. While her body products are nice (that's what I used to always get), I think the choices are made by what they have that didn't fit into the bigger jars. So, if they make a big batch of XYZ, the samples that go out are that product.
__________________
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
 
SegB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymack View Post
I have acrylic nails that aren't really long. I use a backwards scoop (maybe a little bigger then a pea) and smooth on the canopy. Then do the same and smooth on under layers upside down. Finger comb and scrunch in. I do this with each layer. I've never found a jelly product with which they didn't work well.

She does send samples with every order. While her body products are nice (that's what I used to always get), I think the choices are made by what they have that didn't fit into the bigger jars. So, if they make a big batch of XYZ, the samples that go out are that product.
Ok, thanks! Going to try the CSC tomorrow, maybe with a little Curl Queen on top (though CQ can be hit or miss for me)...If I order more I may ask if she is able to send me a sample of the smoothie...I heard this can be good as a finish product.

Happy Holidays!
__________________
2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
SegB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
 
kathymack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymack View Post
I have acrylic nails that aren't really long. I use a backwards scoop (maybe a little bigger then a pea) and smooth on the canopy. Then do the same and smooth on under layers upside down. Finger comb and scrunch in. I do this with each layer. I've never found a jelly product with which they didn't work well.

She does send samples with every order. While her body products are nice (that's what I used to always get), I think the choices are made by what they have that didn't fit into the bigger jars. So, if they make a big batch of XYZ, the samples that go out are that product.
Ok, thanks! Going to try the CSC tomorrow, maybe with a little Curl Queen on top (though CQ can be hit or miss for me)...If I order more I may ask if she is able to send me a sample of the smoothie...I heard this can be good as a finish product.

Happy Holidays!
I would try it with a product that works for you, before I used it with something that is hit or miss. That way, you'll know about the CSC.

I think the way that people use the smoothie as a finishing product is to SOTC, not as a gel/jelly product.
__________________
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
 
SegB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymack View Post
I would try it with a product that works for you, before I used it with something that is hit or miss. That way, you'll know about the CSC.

I think the way that people use the smoothie as a finishing product is to SOTC, not as a gel/jelly product.
Hmmm, maybe I will try it with KCCC, though I feel that doesn't play well with everything. I am having a hard time finding gel/jellies. Right now KCCC is my go to but I will only use it with KCKT. I may want to try Spiral Solutions CEJ and/or FHG...I used them once but never really experimented.

Off topic question- If re:coil dries me out, would the CEJ be likely to do the same since there is magnesium in there too? Or maybe not because it depends on the formulation...

Yes, I would use the smoothie to SOTC and maybe smooth flyaways, if it works for that too...Right now I use CIAB after diffusing to SOTC and smooth, but this can be a miss for me if I use too much. I end up flat and greasy. But if I use *just* the right amount, it's fine.

Thanks for all of your feedback!
__________________
2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
SegB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
 
Gretchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 11,932
Send a message via AIM to Gretchen
Default

Here are some Marie Dean product reviews!
__________________
Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
 
SegB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Thanks Gretchen! It there a way to add some of the other products so we can review them (like the conditioners)?

Also, any thought of trying to add Marie Dean products to Curlmart?
__________________
2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
SegB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
BLB
 
BLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 268
Default

So excited for you to try the CSC Segb! FYI, I tried it with queen helene cream/gel the other day and it was horrible. First day hair had to go up! I think my best results so far have been just csc with a drop of coconut oil scrunched over it. Keep me posted! P.S. My samples were a honey deep conditioner and a body butter. Did not like the dc. Jealous of your samples oh, and I use about a nickel size amount total of the csc.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using CurlTalk App
__________________
2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
http://picasaweb.google.com/11444057...eat=directlink
BLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
 
SegB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLB View Post
So excited for you to try the CSC Segb! FYI, I tried it with queen helene cream/gel the other day and it was horrible. First day hair had to go up! I think my best results so far have been just csc with a drop of coconut oil scrunched over it. Keep me posted! P.S. My samples were a honey deep conditioner and a body butter. Did not like the dc. Jealous of your samples oh, and I use about a nickel size amount total of the csc.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using CurlTalk App
Thanks BLB! Good to know. When you are just using the CSC, do you find you get a little crunch or no? I am finding I need some crunch when diffusing or it just frizzes out! May try it tomorrow but don't know if I will try it by itself or with some sort of jelly (but NOT the CQ creme LOL).
__________________
2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
SegB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com