Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > General Discussion about Curly Hair

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
 
The cUrLY Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
Default Trying to find a gentle and moisturizing shampoo/cleanser!

I've been using the product search but when I use filters (mainly sulfate & silicone free, as well as moisturizing) I always get the same products.

I'm building a regime and I don't have money to go through any testing phases and the reviews on those 10 products aren't positive enough.

I just need something I can use a couple of times a week (starting an exercise routine) that's not drying but moisturizing. Any suggestions are appreciated.

__________________
Natural Curly - Coily 3C Hair.
Last Relaxer was August, 2011!
--
Major growth since my BC!
My hair goal is long, tresses I can maintain on my own.
The cUrLY Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
 
Kilajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 755
Default

.

Last edited by Kilajo; 04-21-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Kilajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
 
Lucky Charm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,242
Default

I'm not sure what products you see on the product finder, but KatyMack sells sample sizes of many popular products. Her rates are great an shippig is very fast!Before sinking money into products, its nice to be able to try them first
__________________
- 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
- MOP C Hydrating 'poo
- LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
- treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
- plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
Lucky Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
 
The cUrLY Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilajo View Post
Shea moisture moisture retention shampoo

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
This looks perfect, I spent hours playing with the filter combinations of the Product Search and this never popped up. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Charm View Post
I'm not sure what products you see on the product finder, but KatyMack sells sample sizes of many popular products. Her rates are great an shippig is very fast!Before sinking money into products, its nice to be able to try them first
That does sound useful, is KatyMack a website or a brand or something?
__________________
Natural Curly - Coily 3C Hair.
Last Relaxer was August, 2011!
--
Major growth since my BC!
My hair goal is long, tresses I can maintain on my own.
The cUrLY Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
 
Chikyuu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilajo View Post
Shea moisture moisture retention shampoo

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
This. Just used it for the first time today and my hair doesn't even feel dried out from other non-sulfate shampoos Ive used before.
__________________

2c or something MODCG Since December 2011!
New May 20th Routine
Low-poo:SheaM
Co-wash:VO5 KiwiLime or VanillaMint
LI:TN, Regis OliveOil Condish, GVP CB
Styler: LALSG
Daily routine: Cleanse, LI, soak with water, scrunch in gel, plop, pixie diffuse, air dry.


Chikyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
 
Lucky Charm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,242
Default

Kathymack is a member here on naturally curly :-) search for her user name in the search bar on the top of the page. She lists available items in the Fotki link in her signature. Send her a private message with what you want and your zip code. Good luck!


Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
__________________
- 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
- MOP C Hydrating 'poo
- LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
- treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
- plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
Lucky Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
 
The cUrLY Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikyuu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilajo View Post
Shea moisture moisture retention shampoo

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
This. Just used it for the first time today and my hair doesn't even feel dried out from other non-sulfate shampoos Ive used before.
Ooh really? I knew when I saw the review page had all five curlies that it had to be some good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Charm View Post
Kathymack is a member here on naturally curly :-) search for her user name in the search bar on the top of the page. She lists available items in the Fotki link in her signature. Send her a private message with what you want and your zip code. Good luck!


Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
No wonder Google didn't pull up anything when I searched, LOL. Thanks I'll check her out.
__________________
Natural Curly - Coily 3C Hair.
Last Relaxer was August, 2011!
--
Major growth since my BC!
My hair goal is long, tresses I can maintain on my own.
The cUrLY Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
 
Kilajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 755
Default

.

Last edited by Kilajo; 04-21-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Kilajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
 
The cUrLY Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilajo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The cUrLY Mess View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilajo View Post
Shea moisture moisture retention shampoo

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
This looks perfect, I spent hours playing with the filter combinations of the Product Search and this never popped up. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Charm View Post
I'm not sure what products you see on the product finder, but KatyMack sells sample sizes of many popular products. Her rates are great an shippig is very fast!Before sinking money into products, its nice to be able to try them first
That does sound useful, is KatyMack a website or a brand or something?
I love this stuff. Actually I don't shampoo anymore because my conditioners cleanse my hair but when I was this was all I used. I immediately knew the search was over. If I start shampooing again I'll use it again unless they change the formula and my hair no longer agrees with it...

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
How do you remove build up from your hair?
__________________
Natural Curly - Coily 3C Hair.
Last Relaxer was August, 2011!
--
Major growth since my BC!
My hair goal is long, tresses I can maintain on my own.
The cUrLY Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 88
Default

Hi The CUrLY Mess,

Feel like I'm throwing a bit of a spanner in the works here...! But have you heard of The Body Shop Rainforest Moisture Shampoo? I've heard good things about it and so splashed out earlier... looking forward to trying it. No parabens, no sulphates or silicones. Might be worth a try.
CurlyQueen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
 
The cUrLY Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyQueen88 View Post
Hi The CUrLY Mess,

Feel like I'm throwing a bit of a spanner in the works here...! But have you heard of The Body Shop Rainforest Moisture Shampoo? I've heard good things about it and so splashed out earlier... looking forward to trying it. No parabens, no sulphates or silicones. Might be worth a try.
No I don't believe I have. When you try it let me know how it works?
__________________
Natural Curly - Coily 3C Hair.
Last Relaxer was August, 2011!
--
Major growth since my BC!
My hair goal is long, tresses I can maintain on my own.
The cUrLY Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #12
 
FrizzBgone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,676
Default

Samples from Kathymack are a great way to try products without spending a fortune. She has tons of products - will only sell current formulations and her 'customer service' is excellent It lets you try products from a variety of companies and only pay shipping once.

As far as Gentle Cleansers - I have a few:

1. Curl Junkie Daily Fix - ultimate fav, but a little on the pricey side. I rotate my products and only use a cleanser every 2nd to 3rd time I wet my hair, so it does last a long time.

2. Donna Marie Superlathericious Shampoo - reasonably priced, lathers nicely and very gentle.

3. Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream - been using this for 5 yrs now and still order every time I run out.

4. Shea Moisture Coconut & Hisbiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo - lathers well and good price. I don't find this as gentle as the products above.
__________________
Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
FrizzBgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
 
berri_cherri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 94
Talking

Hi,
I definitely reccommend the Shea Moisture yellow line, as PP stated Retention shampoo is wonderful. The first use the shampoo left my hair so baby soft, i didn't want to add anything else. But I did, I used the Restorative conditioner (Shea Moisture) and Girrrlll it was on like popcorn. Both work GREAT and aren't expensive. about $11.99 for each. Also, for a depp condition or Leave in the conditioner is wonderful for, it has many uses. I love them both.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The cUrLY Mess View Post
I've been using the product search but when I use filters (mainly sulfate & silicone free, as well as moisturizing) I always get the same products.


I'm building a regime and I don't have money to go through any testing phases and the reviews on those 10 products aren't positive enough.

I just need something I can use a couple of times a week (starting an exercise routine) that's not drying but moisturizing. Any suggestions are appreciated.
__________________
Hair type:
4A/4B(coarse, very thick, dry, and curly)
Big chop 3/27/12
Hair styling products: Shea Moisture(yellow line shampoo n restorative conditioner)
http://tastyberri.blogspot.com/

Density: High
porosity: Definitely LOW

berri_cherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
 
The cUrLY Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by berri_cherri View Post
Hi,
I definitely reccommend the Shea Moisture yellow line, as PP stated Retention shampoo is wonderful. The first use the shampoo left my hair so baby soft, i didn't want to add anything else. But I did, I used the Restorative conditioner (Shea Moisture) and Girrrlll it was on like popcorn. Both work GREAT and aren't expensive. about $11.99 for each. Also, for a depp condition or Leave in the conditioner is wonderful for, it has many uses. I love them both.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The cUrLY Mess View Post
I've been using the product search but when I use filters (mainly sulfate & silicone free, as well as moisturizing) I always get the same products.


I'm building a regime and I don't have money to go through any testing phases and the reviews on those 10 products aren't positive enough.

I just need something I can use a couple of times a week (starting an exercise routine) that's not drying but moisturizing. Any suggestions are appreciated.
WoOOooOOO lawd, lmao. Ya'll making me want to go buy this right now!

I've a got a little list of regime stuff, and I have Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner for a deep conditioner, do you have any experiences with that?
__________________
Natural Curly - Coily 3C Hair.
Last Relaxer was August, 2011!
--
Major growth since my BC!
My hair goal is long, tresses I can maintain on my own.
The cUrLY Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
 
lelebelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12
Default

I really like Kinky Curly Come Clean. It's $12 a bottle BUT it'll last me 3-4 months if I wash twice a week (which I don't because a cowash is good enough for my hair) AND my husband doesn't steal it all! He's heavy handed and he washes his "hair" everyday and we've had the same bottle since December. It's still half full.
lelebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
 
The cUrLY Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelebelle View Post
I really like Kinky Curly Come Clean. It's $12 a bottle BUT it'll last me 3-4 months if I wash twice a week (which I don't because a cowash is good enough for my hair) AND my husband doesn't steal it all! He's heavy handed and he washes his "hair" everyday and we've had the same bottle since December. It's still half full.
LOL. I have brothers who no longer live with me, but they love to smell good so I can relate to your husband using your stuff.
__________________
Natural Curly - Coily 3C Hair.
Last Relaxer was August, 2011!
--
Major growth since my BC!
My hair goal is long, tresses I can maintain on my own.
The cUrLY Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
 
berri_cherri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 94
Default

I haven't tried Aubrey's hair products. I was going to order them from this site, but the shipping was alittle too extravagant for the few items I wanted. When you do or if you use Aubrey's let me know how it works for you. I love products, but the Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner, I know will be with me forever (as long as the formula does not change).
__________________
Hair type:
4A/4B(coarse, very thick, dry, and curly)
Big chop 3/27/12
Hair styling products: Shea Moisture(yellow line shampoo n restorative conditioner)
http://tastyberri.blogspot.com/

Density: High
porosity: Definitely LOW

berri_cherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
 
The cUrLY Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by berri_cherri View Post
I haven't tried Aubrey's hair products. I was going to order them from this site, but the shipping was alittle too extravagant for the few items I wanted. When you do or if you use Aubrey's let me know how it works for you. I love products, but the Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner, I know will be with me forever (as long as the formula does not change).
Will do. And I'll have to check that conditioner out, I had a hard time wrapping my head around a regular conditioner being a deep treatment but the Shea Moisture sounds so rich.
__________________
Natural Curly - Coily 3C Hair.
Last Relaxer was August, 2011!
--
Major growth since my BC!
My hair goal is long, tresses I can maintain on my own.
The cUrLY Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #19
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 916
Default

Vitacost has Aubrey Organics (along with a wide range of CG products) super cheap. Shipping is only $4.99 for orders under $49 and free thereafter.

I've never tried AO, but a lot of curlies rave about it. I'm debating Alba Botanica and Desert Essence, and my self-restraint is under major assault with those prices!

I get a bonus for referring people, so if you drop me a PM I'd be happy to hook you up with a $10 off coupon for your first purchase
__________________
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
Co-wash: Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea
Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
Stylers: As I Am Leave-In conditioner
PT: SSI Okra; CJ Repair Me; BASK Whiskey Soak

Last edited by yossarian; 04-21-2012 at 06:08 PM.
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #20
 
kurlyVONNE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Charm View Post
I'm not sure what products you see on the product finder, but KatyMack sells sample sizes of many popular products. Her rates are great an shippig is very fast!Before sinking money into products, its nice to be able to try them first
i tried googling this.. and found linked in.
what's the actual site name? in reference to the KatyMack
__________________
3b/c medium/thick curly hair
Goal lengths: Mid Back
CG method since 2010
CO wash:CJ Daily Fix; Beauticurls Strengthening Cond.
Rinse out CO:CJ Beauticurls
Leave-in: still figuring that out.
Stylers: Hair Rules: kinky curly creme
Sealers: Moroccan Oil

stil figuring out my staples
kurlyVONNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gentle, moisturizing, not harsh, silicone free, sulfate free
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com