Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > General Discussion about Curly Hair

Like Tree1Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #21
 
waterlily716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyB_ View Post
My mothers stylist just told her that her hair can't be healthy without using cones. WTH?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
It's pretty funny actually. A lot of hair people (people in the hair business) think that silicones are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm inclined to believe it's because (at least for the manufacturers) making such products is really cheap.
Well for those that use shampoo, they may be. They smooth the hair, prevent frizz, and disguise damage. So yeah. They don't create healthy hair though, just hair that looks healthy.
__________________

3a/b low porosity curls | hip length when stretched!
CG method since 2006 @:-)
fotki pw: whim updated 01.06.14
CO wash: suave naturals coconut
rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm & honey <3
stylers: KCKT leave in, curl keeper, Aussie IF gel
color: henna
my CG method article, blog, & my youtube videos
waterlily716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #22
 
CurlyB_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Default

Im on my second week CG and my hair doesn't look healthy at all! Amazing how cones managed to make it look great...

I DC at least once a week, always moisturize, seal in, sleep on a satin pillowcase, keep my hair up when possible..but it still looks like straw to me (i don't think that other people can see any difference yet). I am also having issues with dandruff - its even worse than before! But I heard from several people that their got better after a few sulfate free weeks ...im curious to se if it'll work on my scalp too.

Can't wait for the 6-9 weeks to be over soon so i can see if its only about the changes in ingredients my hair is going through, or if it is only craving for cones to look healthy again! But all in all i'm still happy about making the decision to go CG, I think its the best thing i have done to my hair (and scalp) in ages - though one can't see it yet. But I'm positive about seeing/feeling results soon




Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
CurlyB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #23
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyB_ View Post
Im on my second week CG and my hair doesn't look healthy at all! Amazing how cones managed to make it look great...

I DC at least once a week, always moisturize, seal in, sleep on a satin pillowcase, keep my hair up when possible..but it still looks like straw to me (i don't think that other people can see any difference yet). I am also having issues with dandruff - its even worse than before! But I heard from several people that their got better after a few sulfate free weeks ...im curious to se if it'll work on my scalp too.

Can't wait for the 6-9 weeks to be over soon so i can see if its only about the changes in ingredients my hair is going through, or if it is only craving for cones to look healthy again! But all in all i'm still happy about making the decision to go CG, I think its the best thing i have done to my hair (and scalp) in ages - though one can't see it yet. But I'm positive about seeing/feeling results soon




Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
Did you clarify to remove the cones before starting cg?

If your hair is straw-like, that indicates a protein overload. You can do a wet stretch test to find your protein/moisture needs. You may need to adjust your products if protein is a problem.

Glad to see your positive attitude. I had a rough transition, and a rough ride of using wrong products, but it was worth it in the end.
__________________
remember, with all advice or suggestions for your hair, YMMV!!
My hair:
2b wavy, medium texture, low porosity, med-high density. Protein finicky.
My routine:
Cleansing: DCNP, every 4-5 days (occasionally use CJ cleansers).
RO: CJSC, occasionally use JCDC
LI: KCKT or CJSL
Gel: KCCC, CJCIAB for 2nd day hair (sometimes third)

Heat is my friend: warm water rinses, steam caps, and diffuse dry. I love CLU cloths and my Denman.
Ml001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #24
 
CurlyB_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ml001 View Post

Did you clarify to remove the cones before starting cg?

If your hair is straw-like, that indicates a protein overload. You can do a wet stretch test to find your protein/moisture needs. You may need to adjust your products if protein is a problem.

Glad to see your positive attitude. I had a rough transition, and a rough ride of using wrong products, but it was worth it in the end.

Hi

Yes I did clarify one last time with a sulfate shampoo before cutting out the cones. How do I do the stretch test? I think that i've already read about it somewhere but can't remember how to do it properly and how to come to conclusions by doing it?

Glycerin, Keratin and Egg are all protein if i'm not wrong ...right?




Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
CurlyB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #25
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyB_ View Post
[
Hi

Yes I did clarify one last time with a sulfate shampoo before cutting out the cones. How do I do the stretch test? I think that i've already read about it somewhere but can't remember how to do it properly and how to come to conclusions by doing it?

Glycerin, Keratin and Egg are all protein if i'm not wrong ...right?




Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
I like this site for explaining how to do it and what the results mean. http://www.organiccolorsystems.com/t...-stretch-test/

Ignore their specific product recommendations, it's a site geared toward professional colorists and the company is, of course, pushing it's own products. The info is good, though, and the names of their products actually help me make a better connection between the test results and what it means lol.

Keratin and egg are proteins. I don't think Glycerin is.
__________________
remember, with all advice or suggestions for your hair, YMMV!!
My hair:
2b wavy, medium texture, low porosity, med-high density. Protein finicky.
My routine:
Cleansing: DCNP, every 4-5 days (occasionally use CJ cleansers).
RO: CJSC, occasionally use JCDC
LI: KCKT or CJSL
Gel: KCCC, CJCIAB for 2nd day hair (sometimes third)

Heat is my friend: warm water rinses, steam caps, and diffuse dry. I love CLU cloths and my Denman.
Ml001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #26
 
CurlyB_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Default

Thank you very much! <3
I'm going to take a look at it later am curious about what i'll find out!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
CurlyB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #27
 
CurlyB_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Default

I think my hair is ok since the strand went back almost to where it was before. I guess that its only behaving strangely due to not beeing soaked with cones anymore

Thank you for the link it has beem very helpful!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
CurlyB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #28
 
Geek_Chic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 741
Default

@CurlyB - Make sure your last sulfate shampoo didn't have any cones in it. They're sometimes easy to miss, but anything ending in -cone, -conol, or -xane is a silicone. There are a couple exceptions to the rule, but generally, if there's no PEG or PPG in front of it, then it isn't a water soluble cone and cowashing won't remove it. If you find one, and you're somewhere Suave Naturals is sold, any shampoo in that line is cheap and cone free for a last clarifying poo.

Like Ml001 said, dry straw-like hair is a typical indicator of protein overload. You can spot proteins in an ingredients list as themselves (eggs, collagen, keratin, etc.), as "hydrolyzed" substances, or as amino acids. If the stretch test isn't showing overload, your hair might be reacting to some other ingredient you're using on it.

Glycerin isn't a protein, but it is a humectant. If you're in a dry area (desert or winter), glycerin can cause dryness. It functions to pull moisture from what has the most to what has less. In the winter, that means glycerin can pull moisture out of your hair in an attempt to hydrate the dry air. That can leave hair looking frizzy and feeling dry too.

Also, just a suggestion, but if you don't know your hair properties yet (texture and porosity), then it's a good idea to figure them out. They help when picking products that will be more likely to agree with your hair. See here: Live Curly Live Free - Curly Hair Basics
__________________
CG since 11/2011
2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Spring Products /Routine:
Clarifying: ACV rinses, Suave Professional Men Deep Clean Peppermint
Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
Co-washes: VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze or Strawberries & Cream
RO: VO5 KLS or S&C, Cure Care
LI (if needed): VO5 S&C, Cure Care
Stylers: HESMU, LALSG
PT: IAGirl's (every 2 weeks or as needed)
Trying: Tresemme Flawless Curls Bouncy Curls gel
Geek_Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #29
 
CurlyB_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Default

Thanks!
Just took a closer look at the label and in fact it has dimethicone in it (not quite sure if its water soluble or not), i got some samples of jessicurl cleansing cream (cocamidopropyl betaine should get any signs of build up out of my hair-or not?)
I cant afford to buy any new stuff after all the christmas shopping..and unfortunately suave isn't available over here.


Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
CurlyB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #30
 
Geek_Chic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 741
Default

Dimethicone is definitely not water soluble, and is one of the worst cones in terms of tendency to build up. If there is a PEG or PPG in front of it, then it's water soluble (like PEG-12 Dimethicone, for example, or PPG-18 Dimethicone). No PEG or PPG? You'll need at least a low poo to remove it. Cocamidopropyl Betaine removes any and all silicones, so your hair will be cone free after a wash with the Jessicurl.
__________________
CG since 11/2011
2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Spring Products /Routine:
Clarifying: ACV rinses, Suave Professional Men Deep Clean Peppermint
Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
Co-washes: VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze or Strawberries & Cream
RO: VO5 KLS or S&C, Cure Care
LI (if needed): VO5 S&C, Cure Care
Stylers: HESMU, LALSG
PT: IAGirl's (every 2 weeks or as needed)
Trying: Tresemme Flawless Curls Bouncy Curls gel
Geek_Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #31
 
Curly Sara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyB_ View Post
I told my bf a few weeks ago that i was planning on going CG and explained to him what it exactly meant (goodbye to poo and silicones). To show him some results of other curlies i sent him to a thread of nc.com, and all he had to say was "but you already have curls, see this girls didn't have any or really few thats why they did all this crazy stuff you're planning to...you should spend your money on something useful rather than buying expensive hair products that you don't need!"

I wonder if I had damaged my hair more in the past few years if he would understand that it is not only about the curls, but about making your hair and scalp healthy and happy ...

Have any of you had similar experiences??
How did you explain to your loved ones what the CG method is, and what did they say?



Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
Going cg doesnt mean that you have to spend more on expensive cg friendly products. For me it has actually been the opposite. I no longer use expensive crappy products that smells good but contains sulfates and cones no longer that strips my hair for moisture but use organic contitioner that fits my hairtype for a cheap price like aubrey organics or loreal eversleek conditioner that are both cg-friendly and under 10 dollar at iherb.com.
I also use deep treatments with natural products like oils, egg, coconutmilk, henna etc. And it works :-) i have never ever had more defined curls and healthy hair ever. And i get compliments all the time whitch is nice :-)
__________________
Hair type/properties:
3c hair, high porosity, mediumdensity, low elasticity, fine hair.

Curly hair routine/regime:
Combine the modified cg-method (low poo) and a modified tightly curly method.
-Condition and leave in: Aubrey Organics, Giovanni Barzilian keratin and argan oil
-Sealer: shea butter, Argan, olive and coconutoil
-Gel: homemade flaxseed gel, Kinky curly custard, Queen Helene Curl royal shaping creme.

Last edited by Curly Sara; 05-17-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Curly Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #32
 
adthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Sara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyB_ View Post
I told my bf a few weeks ago that i was planning on going CG and explained to him what it exactly meant (goodbye to poo and silicones). To show him some results of other curlies i sent him to a thread of nc.com, and all he had to say was "but you already have curls, see this girls didn't have any or really few thats why they did all this crazy stuff you're planning to...you should spend your money on something useful rather than buying expensive hair products that you don't need!"

I wonder if I had damaged my hair more in the past few years if he would understand that it is not only about the curls, but about making your hair and scalp healthy and happy ...

Have any of you had similar experiences??
How did you explain to your loved ones what the CG method is, and what did they say?



Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
Going cg doesnt mean that you have to spend more on expensive cg friendly products. For me it has actually been the opposite. I no longer use expensive crappy products that smells good but contains sulfates and cones no longer that strips my hair for moisture but use organic contitioner that fits my hairtype for a cheap price like aubrey organics or loreal eversleek conditioner that are both cg-friendly and under 10 dollar at iherb.com.
I also use deep treatments with natural products like oils, egg, coconutmilk, henna etc. And it works :-) i have never ever had more defined curls and healthy hair ever. And i get compliments all the time witch is nice :-)
+ 1
I have trouble finding a salon product without silicones. I ended up throwing some Redken stuff in the garbage. My average product price is $4. I also make my dcs. I wasn't actually trying to go cheap but I find the more natural hair care works better for me.
__________________
"More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith.
adthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #33
 
CurlyB_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Default

Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to get any cone free products where i live, so i always have to order online and the cone free brands that i do know aren't cheap at all - but i'm ok with it since i seldom spend money on items for myself anyway.

Oh,and my dc's are usually homemade ones too. I love the banana- honey-oil one!


Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
CurlyB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com