CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   General Discussion about Curly Hair (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/)
-   -   tea tree shampoo making me have more flakes (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/152507-tea-tree-shampoo-making-me-have-more-flakes.html)

gee 12-01-2012 10:25 PM

tea tree shampoo making me have more flakes
 
So, I've had issues with dry scalp for the longest time. First, I used Organix Tea Tree shampoo and it was doing the job. But, every time the "winter" (I put " because I live in Florida) my scalp gets SO dry it's annoying! so, I decided to get Sally's generic version of Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree. It feel soo good and leaves my hair soft but I noticed it has made my scalp worse. Now, I don't know if that's because the flakes are just lifting off my scalp and falling off or if it really did make it worse. Please, ladies, what can I do to get the flakes out of my hair. They are all pretty visible and not sticking to my scalp anymore. Also, I have thick 3b hair that is about three inches above my belly button.

Marci 12-02-2012 08:29 AM

I was wondering myself if tea tree oil was an issue for me. I used Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo a few times, I noticed it gave me flakes. As soon as my scalp dried, flakes everywhere. It was bad. The one time I had good results with it I mixed it 50/50 with conditioner and scrubbed like hell. No flakes. But I am happier with creamier cleansers or cowashing now. My scalp feels less dry.

waterlily716 12-02-2012 04:09 PM

I think it sounds like you have classic dry scalp. This means the skin on your scalp is flaking because it is DRY! That's why the tea tree oil (which is very strong and drying) is probably removing more moisture from your scalp, resulting in more flakes.

It's good to exfoliate and cleanse every once in awhile for the flakes, but too much can just exacerbate them. Something that really works for me is rubbing coconut oil all over my scalp, sleeping in a shower cap or plastic wrap, and then washing it out in the morning. My scalp will be completely itch free after that. I also like to mix brown sugar in with my conditioner wash to exfoliate, but no more than once a week. That really helps get rid of the flakes.

Hope that helps! I have always had dry scalp too. It's annoying :P

gee 12-03-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlily716 (Post 2079419)
I think it sounds like you have classic dry scalp. This means the skin on your scalp is flaking because it is DRY! That's why the tea tree oil (which is very strong and drying) is probably removing more moisture from your scalp, resulting in more flakes.

It's good to exfoliate and cleanse every once in awhile for the flakes, but too much can just exacerbate them. Something that really works for me is rubbing coconut oil all over my scalp, sleeping in a shower cap or plastic wrap, and then washing it out in the morning. My scalp will be completely itch free after that. I also like to mix brown sugar in with my conditioner wash to exfoliate, but no more than once a week. That really helps get rid of the flakes.

Hope that helps! I have always had dry scalp too. It's annoying :P

Do I use pure coconut oil or can I use the Blue Magic tub (that's what I have). Also, how often should I try this out first? Lastly, do you use sulfate free poo or regular poo to wash it the next day?

Thanks a lot for this recommendation. I'm willing to try ANYTHING at this point! :P

Jessiebanana 12-03-2012 10:57 AM

Exactly, tea tree oil is great for treating flakes due to dandruff caused by a bacteria, but tea tree oil is drying so if your scalp is dry it will make it worse.

Personally my scalp was dry and I had allergies. The coconut oil or olive oil soak sounds great, but you should also pay attention to what products make your irritation worse.

waterlily716 12-03-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gee (Post 2079818)

Do I use pure coconut oil or can I use the Blue Magic tub (that's what I have). Also, how often should I try this out first? Lastly, do you use sulfate free poo or regular poo to wash it the next day?

Thanks a lot for this recommendation. I'm willing to try ANYTHING at this point! :P

You'll want to pick up some pure coconut oil. Just checked out the blue magic and it has petrolatum in it, which isn't water soluble, so I personally wouldn't put it on my scalp. Shampoo might get rid of it, but pure oil will wash out easier.

I think you could do this weekly or biweekly. :) I have rather porous hair that sucks up oil and moisture, so it does not get oily. I can get away with just cowashing. If you tend to get oily scalp, have fine hair, or just want a clean feeling I would no-poo. Brushing your hair while wet also distributes the oil from your scalp. You will probably have to experiment a little. I hope it helps!

gee 12-12-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlily716 (Post 2080085)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gee (Post 2079818)

Do I use pure coconut oil or can I use the Blue Magic tub (that's what I have). Also, how often should I try this out first? Lastly, do you use sulfate free poo or regular poo to wash it the next day?

Thanks a lot for this recommendation. I'm willing to try ANYTHING at this point! :P

You'll want to pick up some pure coconut oil. Just checked out the blue magic and it has petrolatum in it, which isn't water soluble, so I personally wouldn't put it on my scalp. Shampoo might get rid of it, but pure oil will wash out easier.

I think you could do this weekly or biweekly. :) I have rather porous hair that sucks up oil and moisture, so it does not get oily. I can get away with just cowashing. If you tend to get oily scalp, have fine hair, or just want a clean feeling I would no-poo. Brushing your hair while wet also distributes the oil from your scalp. You will probably have to experiment a little. I hope it helps!

Sorry for the delayed reply, finals week is kicking my butt! But, I have tried Olive Oil but I didn't see any results and it was very hard to wash out. I am debating between coconut oil and jojoba oil because I heard its almost like our natural oils. Either way, I ditch the Blue Magic and make sure I get the pure oil. Also, how do I brush out the flakes? Are there any special scalp combs for this?

Starmie 12-13-2012 12:02 AM

I have psoriasis on my scalp and use coconut oil like waterlily suggested. I leave it on overnight then before I wash it I use a fine-tooth (read nit!) comb to loosen and get rid of the flakes (I'm pretty brutal and scrape the comb along my scalp). My hair is fairly thin and only shoulder length and the psoriasis is only on the lower part of my scalp (from behind my ears and down) so it's pretty easy for me to comb them out, you'll probably have a bit of a struggle with your hair being so long.
I've used different oils and found coconut the best by far, it washes out really easily with a low-poo.

waterlily716 12-14-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gee (Post 2085049)
Sorry for the delayed reply, finals week is kicking my butt! But, I have tried Olive Oil but I didn't see any results and it was very hard to wash out. I am debating between coconut oil and jojoba oil because I heard its almost like our natural oils. Either way, I ditch the Blue Magic and make sure I get the pure oil. Also, how do I brush out the flakes? Are there any special scalp combs for this?

No prob. Going through finals too. ughghgh

I would go for coconut oil, as it is known for helping specifically with dry scalp or dandruff. I was talking about brushing out the oil, or distributing it down the strand. But apparently starmie brushes it out.

I just make sure to thoroughly scrub my scalp with my finger pads. This loosens most of the flakes and then they rinse out on their own. I do run my tangle teazer over my scalp though usually. Oh and if I want to get rid of flakes I usually add sugar to my co wash. The coconut oil helps prevent future flakes, but exfoliating/scrubbing is really what removes current ones.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com