Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > General Discussion about Curly Hair

Like Tree13Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #21
 
lovelycurls123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoDojo View Post
The people who say "It looks better straight" when it's curly, are also the same ones who say "It looks better curly" when it's straight.

Make up your minds people!

I get the "Where did you get your perm done???" a lot. They look so disappointed when I tell them it's natural....
Yeah I've had people tell me my hair looks better straight or curly! Now most say they like it curly... And straight!
lovelycurls123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #22
 
lovelycurls123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.deon View Post
I hate when people ask if my hair is real!
Haha lots of my friends complain about that one I think I've gotten asked that a few times
lovelycurls123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #23
 
lovelycurls123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracurlz View Post
You should straiten it!

it irritates me so much cause they don't understand just how much time that would take.
Yeah and in a way that's saying they don't like your hair the way it is! Like somebody else said, tell them they should curl THEIR hair!
lovelycurls123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #24
 
bobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 581
Default

For me the one that really takes the cake is, "are you bringing the 70s/80s man perm back?" I didn't even do that when it was popular for guys to do it.
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 59
Default

Not curl related, but I have been asked ALL my life about coloring my hair. I've had people tell me that I need to redo my hair. In the summer, it is the worst. My ends turn bleachy blond, but the roots are dark. One lady swore I colored my hair. I told her over and over again that I didn't. She told me that I was lying. Ugh

In fact, I've only colored my hair three times in my life. I have only used the wash out kind that only lasts a month....red. I've always been petrified to do anything more permanent because I've heard horror stories about blond hair and dye.

My dd tells me my hair is really in style now and that people pay lots of money for it. They call it ombre. Whatever.
Curlee'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #26
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlee'smom View Post
Not curl related, but I have been asked ALL my life about coloring my hair. I've had people tell me that I need to redo my hair. In the summer, it is the worst. My ends turn bleachy blond, but the roots are dark. One lady swore I colored my hair. I told her over and over again that I didn't. She told me that I was lying. Ugh

In fact, I've only colored my hair three times in my life. I have only used the wash out kind that only lasts a month....red. I've always been petrified to do anything more permanent because I've heard horror stories about blond hair and dye.

My dd tells me my hair is really in style now and that people pay lots of money for it. They call it ombre. Whatever.
That whole "__ type of hair is in style now" is irritating LOL For years now I've been hearing folks say "curly hair is in now". As if a natural type of hair should be talked about that way. It suggests straight hair is normal and everything else is fashionable. Anyway, who cares whether or not curly or straight or blond or brown or red hair is in style? That's a non-compliment trying to act like a compliment ... I get why you're annoyed w/your DD's remark, even though it sounds like he's just trying to be nice.
bobby likes this.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
 
bobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkscrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlee'smom View Post
Not curl related, but I have been asked ALL my life about coloring my hair. I've had people tell me that I need to redo my hair. In the summer, it is the worst. My ends turn bleachy blond, but the roots are dark. One lady swore I colored my hair. I told her over and over again that I didn't. She told me that I was lying. Ugh

In fact, I've only colored my hair three times in my life. I have only used the wash out kind that only lasts a month....red. I've always been petrified to do anything more permanent because I've heard horror stories about blond hair and dye.

My dd tells me my hair is really in style now and that people pay lots of money for it. They call it ombre. Whatever.
That whole "__ type of hair is in style now" is irritating LOL For years now I've been hearing folks say "curly hair is in now". As if a natural type of hair should be talked about that way. It suggests straight hair is normal and everything else is fashionable. Anyway, who cares whether or not curly or straight or blond or brown or red hair is in style? That's a non-compliment trying to act like a compliment ... I get why you're annoyed w/your DD's remark, even though it sounds like he's just trying to be nice.
Korkscrew, I can always count on you to talk sense. As a guy, I see a lot of going the shaved head look after losing their hair. I did that look in college about 15 years ago. We hear the "bald is beautiful" line. No thanks, I'll keep my curls as long as I have them.
Korkscrew likes this.
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #28
 
nattykins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14
Default

I've never had anyone say things like the above about my hair... most either compliment it, or don't say anything.

However, today I went to get my hair cut by a new stylist who "loves to work with curls" and after having a discussion about how much I love my curls, how much I take care of them, etc etc etc... he asks "so, do you want me to straighten it for you?"

I was speechless.
__________________
~Give me a head with hair,
long beautiful hair ~
nattykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #29
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
Default

I hate it when people say

"ITs messy"
" did you even brush your hair?"

"you have black people hair"

"i like it better when its not straight or curly, but inbetween"
curlycrystal5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #30
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattykins View Post
I've never had anyone say things like the above about my hair... most either compliment it, or don't say anything.

However, today I went to get my hair cut by a new stylist who "loves to work with curls" and after having a discussion about how much I love my curls, how much I take care of them, etc etc etc... he asks "so, do you want me to straighten it for you?"

I was speechless.
That's horrific. Maybe he thought your hair was too curly for him to manage. Some of these stylists are mostly dealing with wavy or slightly curly hair when they say "curly". It's possible hair as thick and curly as yours or mine frightens them to their core and all they can think of is taming it.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #31
 
Starmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,005
Default

CurlyB - I had the same comment from my SO. Believe me, he only said it once!

A comment I've had a few times over the years is "I bet you hate it" or "you must hate it". Umm, why must I?

(I actually don't like it but that's not an assumption I think other people should be making)
__________________
3b in South Australia.
Starmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #32
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmie View Post
CurlyB - I had the same comment from my SO. Believe me, he only said it once!

A comment I've had a few times over the years is "I bet you hate it" or "you must hate it". Umm, why must I?

(I actually don't like it but that's not an assumption I think other people should be making)
Do you think those people were just jealous of your hair when they asked if you hate it? I ask because one time a lady said this to me and she happened to have straight hair that was thinning and dull looking.

Then again, I also wonder if some folks ask that for innocent reasons - because lots of times curlies respond to a compliment with things like, "I can't stand my hair" or "It's Hell to take care of". Maybe those ppl are used to hearing curly ppl gripe about their curls. Just some thoughts.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #33
 
adthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,657
Default

I hate when people put their hands in my hair and say all surprised "wow, it's actually really soft."

It ticks me off this is such a shocker. Like what makes them think my hair wouldn't be soft? Actually my hair can easily become OC.
__________________
"More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith.
adthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #34
 
adthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricello View Post
I haven't gotten "you should straighten it" so much as "you should cut it". The implication is my hair is too much. I usually get this from women - they think it will be more tame and tidy if it is short. But um, no. I've tried that. It is still big hair, just shorter. Unless I use a good deal of heat, my hair will not be completely tamed. And even then, there is no guarantee. I usually want to tell these peeps, if you don't like my hair and feel the need to say something, take it up with God.
I get that too. Some relatives told me I have too much hair. Actually they said "you need to cut that mess off!!" i was thinking of cutting before that because my hair is super dense but now they ticked me off i let it grow grow grow. Actually their hair is breaking off and falling out from relaxers.
__________________
"More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith.
adthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #35
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adthomas View Post
I hate when people put their hands in my hair and say all surprised "wow, it's actually really soft."

It ticks me off this is such a shocker. Like what makes them think my hair wouldn't be soft? Actually my hair can easily become OC.
Silly people. I wish they could hear themselves ... you know, if they could get themselves to imagine if someone said that same thing to them
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #36
 
Starmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkscrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmie View Post
CurlyB - I had the same comment from my SO. Believe me, he only said it once!

A comment I've had a few times over the years is "I bet you hate it" or "you must hate it". Umm, why must I?

(I actually don't like it but that's not an assumption I think other people should be making)
Do you think those people were just jealous of your hair when they asked if you hate it? I ask because one time a lady said this to me and she happened to have straight hair that was thinning and dull looking.

Then again, I also wonder if some folks ask that for innocent reasons - because lots of times curlies respond to a compliment with things like, "I can't stand my hair" or "It's Hell to take care of". Maybe those ppl are used to hearing curly ppl gripe about their curls. Just some thoughts.
I think you're probably right on both counts. I know I'm guilty of moaning about my hair and, as you say, many curlies are prone to similar negative comments about theirs, so it's maybe not such a stretch that people have that assumption.
Korkscrew likes this.
__________________
3b in South Australia.
Starmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #37
 
Korkscrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,882
Default

Like you, I'm guilty of moaning about my hair at times too in response to a compliment ... Lately I've been trying to just say thanks and leave it at that LOL ... A couple times though I've gone overboard and acted a little cocky, saying things like, "Yeah, thanks, I think my hair is wonderful too"
bobby likes this.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #38
 
lovelycurls123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattykins View Post
I've never had anyone say things like the above about my hair... most either compliment it, or don't say anything.

However, today I went to get my hair cut by a new stylist who "loves to work with curls" and after having a discussion about how much I love my curls, how much I take care of them, etc etc etc... he asks "so, do you want me to straighten it for you?"

I was speechless.
Oh wow! That's amazing.
lovelycurls123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #39
 
lovelycurls123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 47
Default

Totally hate when people say taking care of curly hair would be easier!
Uh you have no idea!
lovelycurls123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #40
 
Trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 99
Default

I hate when people ask if I used a curling iron. Like I've got time to stand around curling all my hair every morning. lol
__________________

2c/3a, fine, low porosity.

Poo: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean (yes, it has a mild sulfate, but I have Teflon hair)
Co-wash: VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying Conditioner
LI: GVPCB or
Keratin Complex Vanilla Bean Deep Conditioner (nothing to do with keratin straightening, just a nice conditioner)
Style: KCCC + Pantene Curl Shaping Gel (winter) or LALSG (summer)
Dry: Diffuse or air dry, depends on my mood

Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com