CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   General Discussion about Curly Hair (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/)
-   -   How can I get LESS clumping? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/155104-how-can-i-get-less-clumping.html)

sKorpio1190 02-14-2013 01:33 PM

How can I get LESS clumping?
 
See normally clumping would be good except my hair is very fine so I look like I have half the hair I really do. I want my curls/waves to separate and have more volume. I have a big head so flat hair looks bad on me :(

sKorpio1190 02-14-2013 01:34 PM

Would it help if I stop plopping?

sdkitty 02-14-2013 02:13 PM

for me, less product would make for less clumping. If I didn't use any product, my hair would be a big bush

Ericachristina 02-14-2013 03:25 PM

What I do on the days I don't want clumping is when I'm done co washing in the shower and I've rinsed the conditioner out I take my wide tooth comb and while my hair is under the water I comb each half of my hair a few times. Combing under the water helps eliminate any frizz as opposed to trying to separate the curls after you get out of the shower and the combing helps separate and prevent a lot of clumping. Then I just apply my products when I get out as usual.

anonymous_133347 02-14-2013 03:45 PM

Skorpio, try raking your products (leave in, gel, what have you) in then scrunching up. You get more even product distribution that way and still good curl formation. (At least I do. They're just skinnier curls.) The only problem with me is I hate doing this because I have voluminous thick-stranded hair. Clumps are the only thing that keep me from looking like Side Show Bob. But if I had finer hair, I imagine this technique would work better. :toothy6:

sKorpio1190 02-14-2013 04:27 PM

I do rake my products and then scrunch. I'm wondering if the plopping isn't helping though. I'll have to experiment without plopping and doing my usual raking and scrunching and see how it goes. :-/

Darby 02-14-2013 07:54 PM

I have the same problem! My hair is so fine and thin - I want volume.

sKorpio1190 02-14-2013 09:26 PM

it sucks! :crybaby:

Corrina777 02-15-2013 10:08 AM

I've found thinner gels tend to give me smaller clumps. I've had good results getting thinner clumps with Biotera Gel, GVP Liquid Sculpting Gel, AG Curl Liquid Effects Gel, and Curly Sexy Hair Liquid Curling Gel (all CG), as well as Ouidad Climate Control Gel (not CG). If you're not strict CG, I've also heard some people anecdotally say that silicone styling products also seem to give them thinner clumps. Since I pretty much always use thin gels now I can't really say if I see a difference with silicones or not.

sKorpio1190 02-15-2013 11:06 AM

Thanks! I might look into the AG one. I'm not CG lol I just use what works

Korkscrew 02-16-2013 04:17 AM

What you're describing fits me too. Seems all I practically have to do is think about ringlets or clumping and it happens LOL. Raking definitely encourages extreme clumping for me! It basically just encourages larger sections of hair to stick together. Instead you might want to use a comb or Denman brush - something with plenty of teeth or bristles that are close together IMO.

Also, I agree about using a less heavy gel, or less gel. Also, using product with less "slip" may help too. Anything w/slip makes me clump like crazy. Things containing pectin and marshmallow root seem to create super-clumps for me also (KCCC makes my hair look like waves of taffy intermingled with telephone cord-like curls). ... Anything that is meant to "set" the hair in place makes it wind into each other a lot unless I use it in moderation. But it's actually a look I don't mind and I just pull some of the curls apart later.

Corrina777 02-16-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korkscrew (Post 2120868)
What you're describing fits me too. Seems all I practically have to do is think about ringlets or clumping and it happens LOL. Raking definitely encourages extreme clumping for me! It basically just encourages larger sections of hair to stick together. Instead you might want to use a comb or Denman brush - something with plenty of teeth or bristles that are close together IMO.

Also, I agree about using a less heavy gel, or less gel. Also, using product with less "slip" may help too. Anything w/slip makes me clump like crazy. Things containing pectin and marshmallow root seem to create super-clumps for me also (KCCC makes my hair look like waves of taffy intermingled with telephone cord-like curls). ... Anything that is meant to "set" the hair in place makes it wind into each other a lot unless I use it in moderation. But it's actually a look I don't mind and I just pull some of the curls apart later.

Surprisingly, I found that using a denman brush gave me the opposite result. I ended up with much thicker clumps than when I didn't use it. A regular wide tooth comb seemed to work better for me.

longlivecurls 02-16-2013 01:31 PM

I've notice that when I squeeze out most of the water before I scrunch in my styling products I get thinner clumps. Water makes my hair clump nicely so the less soaked my hair is the smaller the clumps are. Try after your LI scrunching your hair with a MF towel or T-shirt till its wet but not soaking wet and then scrunching in the gel or mousse.

anonymous_133347 02-16-2013 02:37 PM

skorpio, if you ever find anyone who can help you out in the haircut department, I do think layers might help with the clumping. When hair is all one length, it tends to stick together and wind around itself more, forming larger clumps. When you have different lengths it's more piecey and you have more individual clumps and volume. It might not be the products or the method so much, but that your hair just needs shaping.

Jas76 02-16-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longlivecurls (Post 2121055)
I've notice that when I squeeze out most of the water before I scrunch in my styling products I get thinner clumps. Water makes my hair clump nicely so the less soaked my hair is the smaller the clumps are. Try after your LI scrunching your hair with a MF towel or T-shirt till its wet but not soaking wet and then scrunching in the gel or mousse.

Yep! Was going to suggest this! The "wetter" your hair, the more clumping. So try towel scrunching it first, the. Apply products.

The other thing you can try is waiting until it's dry, flipping your head over, slide your fingers into you hair along the scalp and loosen by shaking your hands back and forth. I do this at the end of the day sometimes if my hair is too ringlet-y in places.

Julesonline 02-16-2013 06:12 PM

Great thread! I just posted about how my lowest layer in the back clumps into like 4-5 ringlets with spaces between them. Makes my hair look straggly. 😟

Julesonline 02-16-2013 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic showing how bad it is:

Attachment 31506

Jas76 02-16-2013 07:22 PM

Idk, Jules... Having a hard time feeling bad for you there... Lol!

Julesonline 02-16-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jas76 (Post 2121218)
Idk, Jules... Having a hard time feeling bad for you there... Lol!

You don't think it looks straggly? Is that even a word? LOL

Korkscrew 02-16-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dusalocks (Post 2121092)
skorpio, if you ever find anyone who can help you out in the haircut department, I do think layers might help with the clumping. When hair is all one length, it tends to stick together and wind around itself more, forming larger clumps. When you have different lengths it's more piecey and you have more individual clumps and volume. It might not be the products or the method so much, but that your hair just needs shaping.

See now the answer too clumping is beginning to look somewhat subjective lol. Layers don't seem to affect clumping for me anymore than when my hair was all one length.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com