Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > General Discussion about Curly Hair

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bosanbo
  • 1 Post By kathymack

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
 
RizosMio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 140
Default Shampoo bars and pH

Does no one worry about the high pH of shampoo soap bars? I mean in some cases it goes up to 10-11...higher than baking soda. I used Bobeam for a few weeks but stopped after realizing...I just wonder how this seems to be a non issue?

Are most people using an ACV rinse afterward?
__________________
Last relaxer: April 2, 2012 ... I'm Transitioning!
▪ Wiry texture ▪ SO pattern ▪ Sharpy-sized & pen-sized curls
▪ Coarse strands ▪ Normal porosity ▪ Normal elasticity ▪ High density

J'adore...
▪ Rhassoul clay
▪ Jane Carter Solutions Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
▪ Komaza Care Califia Moisturizing Cream
▪ Yes to Carrots Shampoo
RizosMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
 
kathymack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,629
Default

Most people do an ACV rinse after they use a bar to cleanse. I used to do that all of the time. I figured out that my products have the right pH, so if I'm using a rinse out after the soap bar, the pH of my hair should be restored.
__________________
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
 
sKorpio1190's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,673
Default

I'm going to start using shampoo bars regularly. What's wrong with them? o_O I tried one so far and I like it
__________________
Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
sKorpio1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
 
RizosMio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 140
Default

I'm pretty much torn on shampoo bars. I have read plenty on how baking soda (which I also liked) isn't healthy because of it's high pH of 9ish. Even when followed by ACV, it's not a good ride for our cuticles. Apparently they don't like being subjected to regular rollercoasters...lol.

I just can't help but wonder how much worse shampoo bars are if they're up there with mild relaxers in pH. Granted my hair didn't seem to mind either baking soda or shampoo bars, but I don't want to do things just because it seems to not react negatively immediately. People say to just do what the hair likes but...that's kinda like giving your child a tub of icecream for breakfast, lunch and dinner because he likes it and there are no immediate repercussions. I'm really quite torn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sKorpio1190 View Post
I'm going to start using shampoo bars regularly. What's wrong with them? o_O I tried one so far and I like it
Nothing is wrong with them. I'm wondering about the saponification process (sodium hydroxide + triglycerides) and how that results in a very alkaline product.
__________________
Last relaxer: April 2, 2012 ... I'm Transitioning!
▪ Wiry texture ▪ SO pattern ▪ Sharpy-sized & pen-sized curls
▪ Coarse strands ▪ Normal porosity ▪ Normal elasticity ▪ High density

J'adore...
▪ Rhassoul clay
▪ Jane Carter Solutions Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
▪ Komaza Care Califia Moisturizing Cream
▪ Yes to Carrots Shampoo
RizosMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
 
sKorpio1190's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,673
Default

Oh I see
__________________
Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
sKorpio1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 939
Default

They make my hair feel dry and waxy at the same time...so that along with the pH puts me off them.
Jessiebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
 
kathymack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,629
Default

I've used them consistently since 9/08 with no issues. Of course, I get my hair cut every six weeks. Don't know if that makes a difference.


BTW, my hair HATES baking soda. I can't even use 1/4 t in a hair "recipe." Makes it feel "hard and dry."
__________________
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizosMio View Post
People say to just do what the hair likes but...that's kinda like giving your child a tub of icecream for breakfast, lunch and dinner because he likes it and there are no immediate repercussions.
Oh, we're not supposed to do that?

Like so much of this hair psychology, what works for one person might be an epic fail for someone else. Shampoo bars are definitely not for everyone! But there's a wide variety to choose from, so I'd suggest you experiment before throwing in the towel. I like Chagrin Valley, but I'm also getting good results with Seed bars. I'm also eyeing the Karen's Body Beautiful Juicy Bar, if it ever goes on sale.
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
 
RizosMio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymack View Post
I've used them consistently since 9/08 with no issues. Of course, I get my hair cut every six weeks. Don't know if that makes a difference.

BTW, my hair HATES baking soda. I can't even use 1/4 t in a hair "recipe." Makes it feel "hard and dry."
9/08 as in September 2008? If so...oh wow. And all's good? Although you cutting your hair often makes me go "ohh...." I've had a thought that short hair is more cooperative hair. The hair doesn't stick around too long to become sensitive to X and is easier maintained healthy. Maybe the answer to all issues and concerns lies in having short hair

I do find interesting that your hair dislikes baking soda but not soaps. BS can be quite abrasive as it's a salt though, so maybe that bothered you more than its pH. My hair is very coarse though...it'll wink and flirt with anything that isn't a penetrating protein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
[Oh, we're not supposed to do that?

Like so much of this hair psychology, what works for one person might be an epic fail for someone else. Shampoo bars are definitely not for everyone! But there's a wide variety to choose from, so I'd suggest you experiment before throwing in the towel. I like Chagrin Valley, but I'm also getting good results with Seed bars. I'm also eyeing the Karen's Body Beautiful Juicy Bar, if it ever goes on sale.
But all shampoo bars are made with something very alkine + fatty acids, no? So while the oils may differ, they all will have a high pH? Oy...I need find me someone who makes soaps.
__________________
Last relaxer: April 2, 2012 ... I'm Transitioning!
▪ Wiry texture ▪ SO pattern ▪ Sharpy-sized & pen-sized curls
▪ Coarse strands ▪ Normal porosity ▪ Normal elasticity ▪ High density

J'adore...
▪ Rhassoul clay
▪ Jane Carter Solutions Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
▪ Komaza Care Califia Moisturizing Cream
▪ Yes to Carrots Shampoo
RizosMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
 
bosanbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 180
Default

I'm not a soap-maker myself, but my good friend Andrea is - and she's also a chemist. This is her blog, and she has tons of entries about soap, hair care, baking soda, ACV, and so on (check the tags to the right). She's also extremely "reachable" if you leave a comment on her blog.

LabNoteBook

She's the one who turned me onto baking soda/ACV, introduced me to Chagrin Valley (which I currently use), and has otherwise been instrumental in my hair health. She's pretty rad.

Apologies for the plug if it is inappropriate, but she's the best resource I know on soap!
RizosMio likes this.
__________________
I sort of blog
I'm mostly away doing field work through mid-May.

Hair: curlybob, fine, dense, low-po, big waves/ringlets (2C/3A)
Co-Wash: Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
RO: YTC Carrot, Aubrey Organics GPB
LI: BS Shea Soft Styling Cream (HG)
Styling: KCCC, Garnier P&C Gel
1xWeek: low-poo, gelatin PT or Joico K-Pak
Hair Likes: aloe, coconut oil, humidity, protein, long walks on the beach

Last edited by bosanbo; 03-22-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: clarification
bosanbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
 
kathymack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizosMio View Post
9/08 as in September 2008? If so...oh wow. And all's good? Although you cutting your hair often makes me go "ohh...." I've had a thought that short hair is more cooperative hair. The hair doesn't stick around too long to become sensitive to X and is easier maintained healthy. Maybe the answer to all issues and concerns lies in having short hair

I do find interesting that your hair dislikes baking soda but not soaps. BS can be quite abrasive as it's a salt though, so maybe that bothered you more than its pH. My hair is very coarse though...it'll wink and flirt with anything that isn't a penetrating protein.


But all shampoo bars are made with something very alkine + fatty acids, no? So while the oils may differ, they all will have a high pH? Oy...I need find me someone who makes soaps.
Soap/shampoo bars were really popular on nc.com summer of 2008. It took me a long time to try the free one I got with my henna order. After that, I never looked back (well, the CV bar would have made me quit, if I hadn't used the other one first. But that's another story.) All of the sudden, people who supported the soap bar use, changed their opinions. I've used them for almost 5 1/2 years with no problems. I've also gotten a lot of my friends and family on them.

Just tested the bar I'm currently using, it's 8. Which isn't hair pH, but is lower then 9.
bosanbo likes this.
__________________
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
 
RizosMio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosanbo View Post
I'm not a soap-maker myself, but my good friend Andrea is - and she's also a chemist. This is her blog, and she has tons of entries about soap, hair care, baking soda, ACV, and so on (check the tags to the right). She's also extremely "reachable" if you leave a comment on her blog.

LabNoteBook

She's the one who turned me onto baking soda/ACV, introduced me to Chagrin Valley (which I currently use), and has otherwise been instrumental in my hair health. She's pretty rad.

Apologies for the plug if it is inappropriate, but she's the best resource I know on soap!
Ooooh... a chemist who also talks about hair! I have a small collection of these kind of websites...I love me some hair oriented science geeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymack View Post

Just tested the bar I'm currently using, it's 8. Which isn't hair pH, but is lower then 9.
Ah nice, an 8 is not terribly extreme...which one/brand are you using?

Thanks ladies
__________________
Last relaxer: April 2, 2012 ... I'm Transitioning!
▪ Wiry texture ▪ SO pattern ▪ Sharpy-sized & pen-sized curls
▪ Coarse strands ▪ Normal porosity ▪ Normal elasticity ▪ High density

J'adore...
▪ Rhassoul clay
▪ Jane Carter Solutions Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
▪ Komaza Care Califia Moisturizing Cream
▪ Yes to Carrots Shampoo
RizosMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com