CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   General Discussion about Curly Hair (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/)
-   -   Hair Type Help (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/158303-hair-type-help.html)

ellemjaye 05-14-2013 10:42 PM

Hair Type Help
 
2 Attachment(s)
I'm a newbie to this site currently trying to learn more about my hair. I have figured out that knowing my curl pattern isn't the most important thing but I would be interested to hear from people where they would place me. I know I'm in the 2 wavy category but I can't really narrow it down to one as my hair seems to have characteristics from 2a, 2b and 2c.

My hair is straight till about ear length then I have a mixture of loose ringlets, flicks, slight waves and some definite S shape waves.

The pics are a bit hard to see as my hair is dark and light is bad but can anyone help satisfy my curiousity?

Firefox7275 05-15-2013 06:10 AM

Exactly what did you do to get your hair to look like that? For typing you need to clarify, no conditioner, no styling products, no brush no comb, no towel turban, no touching, just drip dry. Your hair looks styled, smoothed and parted there, that will kill curl pattern for most people in the 1s and 2s.

rainboe 05-15-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefox7275 (Post 2170236)
Exactly what did you do to get your hair to look like that? For typing you need to clarify, no conditioner, no styling products, no brush no comb, no towel turban, no touching, just drip dry. Your hair looks styled, smoothed and parted there, that will kill curl pattern for most people in the 1s and 2s.

I really disagree with the idea on not using conditioner. I've actually heard a lot of different things about typing. There isn't specific way to do it, and it's so subjective anyway. Like, some people believe you should only use a leave-in conditioner. Some people believe you should use a picture of your hair completely styled, and that way you will see people move up in curl pattern when they get a routine down. I agree with that, because then your hair type reflects your day-to-day look, and therefore you can make decisions about styling more easily. I think clarifying, then not adding any moisture, would totally kill my waves. I would just have a dry, nasty birds nest. It would be ugly. I'm not even sure someone in the high 3s or 4s could do that without getting some massive, awful tangles. Some people don't have much of a curl pattern at all when their hair is dried out, so I don't see how knowing their curl pattern in that state would be helpful.

Firefox7275 05-15-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainboe (Post 2170248)
I really disagree with the idea on not using conditioner. I've actually heard a lot of different things about typing. There isn't specific way to do it, and it's so subjective anyway. Like, some people believe you should only use a leave-in conditioner. Some people believe you should use a picture of your hair completely styled, and that way you will see people move up in curl pattern when they get a routine down. I agree with that, because then your hair type reflects your day-to-day look, and therefore you can make decisions about styling more easily. I think clarifying, then not adding any moisture, would totally kill my waves. I would just have a dry, nasty birds nest. It would be ugly. I'm not even sure someone in the high 3s or 4s could do that without getting some massive, awful tangles. Some people don't have much of a curl pattern at all when their hair is dried out, so I don't see how knowing their curl pattern in that state would be helpful.

The OP is not a high 3 or 4 tho is she? It's not meant to be anything but ugly, it's meant to be more accurate than seeing hair coated in silicones and meant to 'level the playing field', not have one person use a light application of a light product and another use a heavy application of a heavy product.

Conditioner can weigh down or pull out looser waves particularly, as can brushes, towel turbans, finger combing, silicones .... Most commercial leave ins are packed with silicones and I have no idea how you would apply it without either smoothing or scrunching both of which are interfering with the curl pattern!

I have waves/ curls between 2a and 2c with conditioner scrunched in but without any styling products or diffusing. My hair looks much like the OP's today because I brushed it when wet so I can dye it tomorrow. I lost a massive amount of curl a few weeks ago despite doing most CG things because I accidentally used a silicone in a reformulated conditioner.

Even in frizz/ pouf you can see a curl pattern if any head of hair is left to it's own devices, you just don't get definition or clumping. Of course the best idea will come with a few weeks of CG, generally if you can see a 2a with dry typing you will get, say, a 2b with a few weeks of curl love so you will often see people state that in a typing thread.

HTH.

rainboe 05-15-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefox7275 (Post 2170298)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainboe (Post 2170248)
I really disagree with the idea on not using conditioner. I've actually heard a lot of different things about typing. There isn't specific way to do it, and it's so subjective anyway. Like, some people believe you should only use a leave-in conditioner. Some people believe you should use a picture of your hair completely styled, and that way you will see people move up in curl pattern when they get a routine down. I agree with that, because then your hair type reflects your day-to-day look, and therefore you can make decisions about styling more easily. I think clarifying, then not adding any moisture, would totally kill my waves. I would just have a dry, nasty birds nest. It would be ugly. I'm not even sure someone in the high 3s or 4s could do that without getting some massive, awful tangles. Some people don't have much of a curl pattern at all when their hair is dried out, so I don't see how knowing their curl pattern in that state would be helpful.

The OP is not a high 3 or 4 tho is she? It's not meant to be anything but ugly, it's meant to be more accurate than seeing hair coated in silicones and meant to 'level the playing field', not have one person use a light application of a light product and another use a heavy application of a heavy product.

Conditioner can weigh down or pull out looser waves particularly, as can brushes, towel turbans, finger combing, silicones .... Most commercial leave ins are packed with silicones and I have no idea how you would apply it without either smoothing or scrunching both of which are interfering with the curl pattern!

I have waves/ curls between 2a and 2c with conditioner scrunched in but without any styling products or diffusing. My hair looks much like the OP's today because I brushed it when wet so I can dye it tomorrow. I lost a massive amount of curl a few weeks ago despite doing most CG things because I accidentally used a silicone in a reformulated conditioner.

Even in frizz/ pouf you can see a curl pattern if any head of hair is left to it's own devices, you just don't get definition or clumping. Of course the best idea will come with a few weeks of CG, generally if you can see a 2a with dry typing you will get, say, a 2b with a few weeks of curl love so you will often see people state that in a typing thread.

HTH.

I was really sleepy when I wrote that. What I was trying to say is that curl type is more of a physical description. It can vary between seasons and locations. It isn't a static hair property. It doesn't need any particular method. It isn't unfair to have a person with heavy product application be a 3a and a person with light product application be a 2b. That just how they like their hair. It isn't important to product selection so much. It's more important to styling and such. Like, I'm a wavy so Im prone to flat top. Therefore, I think your curl type is how you wear it when styled, because that's how you hair normally is.

Also, wavy hair isn't universally weighted down easily. My hair takes a lot of product without being weighed down. And silicones don't always weigh down or particularly damage hair. It really depends on a persons individual hair. The main problem with silicones is they need harsh chemicals to remove them, but many silicone products can give volume and frizz control.

ETA: I kind of felt put off because in the morning I read your original post as being kind of snarky and mean. Like, especially the "what did you do to your hair to make it look like that?" Sentence. I'm sorry if that isn't how you meant it. Sometimes tone doesn't convey well on the Internet. Also, I might be projecting a bit if Im honest. I originally only really washed my hair with sulfate shampoo and brushed it wet/dry/all the time. When I started trying to wear it curly, if I did nothing to it it wouldn't have a curl pattern. It would just kind of expand outward. Conditioner gave me a curl pattern. Now if I did nothing to my hair it would still look 2b wavy, but when I started I would have pretty much convinced myself that it was just straight hair that was awful. The slab conditioner in your hair then let it dry untouched test was what convinced me I had wavy hair.

rainboe 05-15-2013 11:03 AM

OP, I never answer your question. Sorry. I think your a 2a/b. :)

Julesonline 05-15-2013 12:07 PM

I'd say a 2a.

:)

BlackAngelPlayah 05-15-2013 12:30 PM

Another vote for 2a. :)

Firefox7275 05-15-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainboe (Post 2170304)
I was really sleepy when I wrote that. What I was trying to say is that curl type is more of a physical description. It can vary between seasons and locations. It isn't a static hair property. It doesn't need any particular method. It isn't unfair to have a person with heavy product application be a 3a and a person with light product application be a 2b. That just how they like their hair. It isn't important to product selection so much. It's more important to styling and such. Like, I'm a wavy so Im prone to flat top. Therefore, I think your curl type is how you wear it when styled, because that's how you hair normally is.

Also, wavy hair isn't universally weighted down easily. My hair takes a lot of product without being weighed down. And silicones don't always weigh down or particularly damage hair. The main problem with silicones is they need harsh chemicals to remove them, but many silicone products can give volume and frizz control.

Your natural curl pattern is what you are born with, what you appear at any given moment with different products or techniques is not your natural curl pattern. Otherwise everyone who flat irons or BKTs successfully is a 1a which is nonsense.

You aren't reading my posts properly, they would make more sense if you did so before disagreeing. I didn't claim ALL silicones weigh down ALL wavies nor did I say anything about damage!! I said silicone conditioners CAN weigh down loose wavies particularly and that typing is intended to level the playing field. Again as I have said people often acknowledge that in typing threads hair can be between a couple of curl patterns depending how it is treated.

I don't need you to give me the idiot's guide to the silicone family, thank you, I have done my own research.

rainboe 05-15-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefox7275 (Post 2170358)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainboe (Post 2170304)
I was really sleepy when I wrote that. What I was trying to say is that curl type is more of a physical description. It can vary between seasons and locations. It isn't a static hair property. It doesn't need any particular method. It isn't unfair to have a person with heavy product application be a 3a and a person with light product application be a 2b. That just how they like their hair. It isn't important to product selection so much. It's more important to styling and such. Like, I'm a wavy so Im prone to flat top. Therefore, I think your curl type is how you wear it when styled, because that's how you hair normally is.

Also, wavy hair isn't universally weighted down easily. My hair takes a lot of product without being weighed down. And silicones don't always weigh down or particularly damage hair. The main problem with silicones is they need harsh chemicals to remove them, but many silicone products can give volume and frizz control.

Your natural curl pattern is what you are born with, what you appear at any given moment with different products or techniques is not your natural curl pattern. Otherwise everyone who flat irons or BKTs successfully is a 1a which is nonsense.

You aren't reading my posts properly, they would make more sense if you did so before disagreeing. I didn't claim ALL silicones weigh down ALL wavies nor did I say anything about damage!! I said silicone conditioners CAN weigh down loose wavies particularly and that typing is intended to level the playing field. Again as I have said people often acknowledge that in typing threads hair can be between a couple of curl patterns depending how it is treated.

I don't need you to give me the idiot's guide to the silicone family, thank you, I have done my own research.

I'm sorry. I was being nitpicky. Ive seen your posts around the forum. :) i know you're really well informed. I edited my post just now as you were replying to say were I was coming from here. I think maybe I took your post weirdly personally? On this forum we tend to hair type styled hair and type our hair based on how it looks styled. at Least ive seen people do that here. I'm not sure about other places, or if I've been understanding it wrong.

ETA: Generally, I wouldn't consider it a natural texture if you're heat styling, using hair rollers to form curls, or chemical texturizing/straightening. I would consider it your natural texture if you're bringing out the curl pattern through scrunching or hair products.

Firefox7275 05-15-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainboe (Post 2170371)
I'm sorry. I was being nitpicky. Ive seen your posts around the forum. :) i know you're really well informed. I edited my post just now as you were replying to say were I was coming from here. I think maybe I took your post weirdly personally? On this forum we tend to hair type styled hair and type our hair based on how it looks styled. at Least ive seen people do that here. I'm not sure about other places, or if I've been understanding it wrong.

ETA: Generally, I wouldn't consider it a natural texture if you're heat styling, using hair rollers to form curls, or chemical texturizing/straightening. I would consider it your natural texture if you're bringing out the curl pattern through scrunching or hair products.

Thank you, I apologise too - I am straightforward, it's just my posting style but I think it can be a little different to the US wording particularly.

chloe92us 05-15-2013 03:41 PM

I don't think many people on this forum even know what their hair looks like without product! I tried it once and it wasn't pretty!!!! :shock: I don't believe it's the norm to type hair naked. But really, if anything, I think your hair type is pretty clear when you get out of the shower, it's wet, and then you shake it gently. Due to my high porosity, as my hair dries naturally, it just poofs without product. That has nothing to do with my curl pattern, and everything to do with the properties of my hair.

Firefox7275 05-16-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chloe92us (Post 2170456)
I don't think many people on this forum even know what their hair looks like without product! I tried it once and it wasn't pretty!!!! :shock: I don't believe it's the norm to type hair naked. But really, if anything, I think your hair type is pretty clear when you get out of the shower, it's wet, and then you shake it gently. Due to my high porosity, as my hair dries naturally, it just poofs without product. That has nothing to do with my curl pattern, and everything to do with the properties of my hair.

Many 1s and 2s are stick straight with the weight of water right out of the shower.

ellemjaye 05-21-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefox7275 (Post 2170236)
Exactly what did you do to get your hair to look like that? For typing you need to clarify, no conditioner, no styling products, no brush no comb, no towel turban, no touching, just drip dry. Your hair looks styled, smoothed and parted there, that will kill curl pattern for most people in the 1s and 2s.

Thanks everyone for your replies. They have made interesting reading.

Firefox7275 just to clarify I obviously haven't fully understood the best point in time to decide curl pattern very well. I did briefly towel dry and my hair had probably had a little time to dry. This wasn't straight from the shower and yes I did comb and part my hair!
It's possible that I might have smoothed it with some coconut oil as well but I don't remember. I will look straight after showering next time. Like you say no touching!

Firefox7275 05-21-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellemjaye (Post 2172255)
Thanks everyone for your replies. They have made interesting reading.

Firefox7275 just to clarify I obviously haven't fully understood the best point in time to decide curl pattern very well. I did briefly towel dry and my hair had probably had a little time to dry. This wasn't straight from the shower and yes I did comb and part my hair!
It's possible that I might have smoothed it with some coconut oil as well but I don't remember. I will look straight after showering next time. Like you say no touching!

Please let us know how you get on, hair typing is quite exciting because you never quite know what you are going to get!

ellemjaye 05-22-2013 06:27 AM

Wet hair verdict
 
3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefox7275 (Post 2172339)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellemjaye (Post 2172255)
Thanks everyone for your replies. They have made interesting reading.

Firefox7275 just to clarify I obviously haven't fully understood the best point in time to decide curl pattern very well. I did briefly towel dry and my hair had probably had a little time to dry. This wasn't straight from the shower and yes I did comb and part my hair!
It's possible that I might have smoothed it with some coconut oil as well but I don't remember. I will look straight after showering next time. Like you say no touching!

Please let us know how you get on, hair typing is quite exciting because you never quite know what you are going to get!

So straight after my shower tonight. I looked at my hair and took a couple of photos. No towels, combs or touching the hair happened this time!
I think I might be a 2b, the hair porperties fit better than 2a as my hair isn't fine and tends to frizz. I don't think I'm a 2c (smaller tighter curls tend to form after hair has dried).

Sorry for poor photography. I have leaned my head to the side so the curls are more visible as my hair is quite dark and hard to make out curls when bunched against my head. My hair does naturally fall closeish to my head though when long.

Corrina777 05-22-2013 09:41 AM

I would say between 2a and 2b (closer to 2b), with solid 2b potential. The thing about curl pattern typing is that there are multiple systems. NaturallyCurly.com uses Andre Walker's hair typing system, which includes references to texture (fine, coarse, etc). It also claims very specific diameters for curls (sidewalk chalk, sharpie markers, etc). Many people don't fit nicely into these categories. The other popular typing system is FIA. FIA includes 3 different pieces- curl pattern (also using the 2a, 3b, etc., but in more general terms, such as large bouncy spirals, etc), texture, and density. It is possible to come up with different results with each system. The other thing to remember is that curl pattern is transient. It can change based on products, technique, and even the weather.

ellemjaye 05-22-2013 10:51 PM

Thanks Corrina777

Firefox7275 05-23-2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellemjaye (Post 2172646)
So straight after my shower tonight. I looked at my hair and took a couple of photos. No towels, combs or touching the hair happened this time!
I think I might be a 2b, the hair porperties fit better than 2a as my hair isn't fine and tends to frizz. I don't think I'm a 2c (smaller tighter curls tend to form after hair has dried).

Sorry for poor photography. I have leaned my head to the side so the curls are more visible as my hair is quite dark and hard to make out curls when bunched against my head. My hair does naturally fall closeish to my head though when long.

What about when it dried, did the curls remain the same or bounce up more? My front and sides (IMO 2b and 2c) change hugely as it dries, back (2a) only if I 'cheat' with products and a diffuser.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com