Write bad review about salon after horrendous cut?

• 2 Post By Julesonline
  • 1 Post By Lynaea
  • 2 Post By Myrna
  • 1 Post By awelcome
  • 1 Post By curlylifestyle
  • 2 Post By anonymous_133347

i!
I love my curly hair. I have thick large curls; type 3a/3b hair. I have had so many hair cut disasters, I don't know where to start. Most of them involve cutting my hair too short (since my hair is so thick, it needs to be mid back or longer dry).

Over the past year, I tried out a new salon. They specialized in Ouidad cuts. I never had a Ouidad cut before. The first time, I told the stylist/salon owner that I LOVED my length and to be extremely conservative with the Ouidad carving technique because I was scissor shy. She proceeded to give me a good (not great) cut. Since she didn't ruin it (that's my standard for a good curly haircut), I went back to her in January of this year. This time she cut more length (a little too short but I was ok with the length after one month of growth) and did more carve and slice. I didn't like the carve and slice the second time around because it made my hair, for the first time in my life, look really thin (not good) and it made it frizzy on top.

I went in one week ago for another cut and asked her to be very conservative with length because I liked the length and asked her not to do any carve and slice at all because I didn't like the frizz and thinness. She seemed very irritated and proceeded to tell me that I really should and said she wouldn't do it on the top of my hair but will on the bottom (underneath), which will avoid the frizz. I trusted her. Well, I HATE MY HAIR NOW! I CAN'T EVEN LOOK IN THE MIRROR WITHOUT TEARS WELLING IN MY EYES! Not only is it too short, but instead of having a "triangle top" I have a "mushroom top" where the top of my hair is puffy and frizzy but my curls on the bottom are stringy and EXTREMELY THIN! It looks like a geri curl when before I had long, gorgeous, flowing curly hair. It will take SO LONG to grow it out because the "carve and weave" layers are so close to my head. I might as well shave my head and start from scratch.

To add insult to injury, the cut cost $95 plus tip. Additionally, she pushes products to a point where it is extremely uncomfortable and I feel guilty for not forking over hundreds of dollars more to buy the products. Plus, during every one of these appointments, I got to the appointment early but she was running 15-30 minutes behind. Additionally, while she was working on me, she would also work on 2 other clients and worked on them while putting me under the dryer for too long of a time or letting me sit with conditioner on. For this price, I should feel pampered and not feel like she is maximizing her profit on my watch.

I want to write a yelp review about this. And a naturally curly review. But she only has good reviews that I would feel bad about writing a review like this, even though I am being completely honest.
i!

Originally Posted by beckybye
I totally would write the review if I were you. Just because she has only good reviews, she is not perfect and IMHO it is unreasonable to expect that 100% of her clients are totally happy about the outcome.
curlypearl and claudine191 like this.
JulesOnline

3A/B? A corkicelli mix of ringlets, spirals, helixes & s-shaped curls
Medium-fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Summer: pink; Winter: Blue; Year Round: green
Lo-Poo:Giovanni SAS sulfate free poo, L'Oreal Evercream CC
Co-wash: TNRV, VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, TNNM
RO/LI:
YTC, Nexxus Hydra-light w/ CNPF GVPCB, Biolage CB, TNNM, Giovanni SAS
Styler: KCCC FSG, BRHG, LALSG

I agree, yes she undoubtedly has lots of training and experience but she neglected what I think should be the Golden Rule for any hair cutter/stylist:
It's YOUR hair, you know best how it acts/responds and how you want it to look!

She blatantly ignored and disregarded your observations and requests. And regardless of how the cut turns out, that alone deserves a negative review as far as I am concerned. I have trusted far too many stylists to do what I ask and ended up with similar disasters because they thought they knew my hair better than me.

Just my personal experience but I have always had better luck with small mom&pop type salons. The chains and even higher end salons never listened to me and generally gave me whatever they thought was best (you know, after seeing my hair for maybe 2 minutes). I found my current favorite stylist by wandering into a small, strip mall salon and asking for a trim only (I literally specified 1/2 an inch), the stylist asked about my hair, my lifestyle and my hair goals and cut exactly the amount I specified, if she hadn't I would have tried somewhere else next time. And it was only after that that I started upping the amount she was allowed to trim off at a time. Heehee

Okay, I'm done contributing to your rant with one of my own
rainboe likes this.
2A / F / MD / LP / ?E / BSL --- CG since Dec. 2012

This is what I'm happiest with right now.
Co-wash: CJ DailyFix
Lo-poo: DermOrganic low-poo
RO: SS Caitlin's co
Leave-in: SheScentIt Okra Repair condish
PT: SS Caitlin's + SS PT
Stylers: Volumax Mega Gel, Max Green Styling Gel, DermOrganics Spray Gel
Techniques: Plopping & Pixie Diffusing.
glycerin, honey, oils & butters Protein!

Last edited by Lynaea; 05-24-2013 at 08:34 PM.
First, let me say that it is not your fault. We have all gotten bad cuts. I too hate the product pushing.

I went to the same stylist for over 10 years. It was fine for a while, and then, I started to be unhappy. She didnt like conditioner, so she did not use it on me. Hello? everyone who knows anything about curly hair knows that conditioner is important. Then, she would rub it dry with a terry towel. Hello again? creates frizz. After a while, all I could see was that my hair was frizzing, not looking right. So I went on a quest for a new stylist. I had several consults. I went to a salon that supposedly specialized in Deva cuts. I left three times with hair that felt like cotton candy, more loaded up with product than I could stand.

Your problem is that you have accepted mediocrity as the "best" you can get. I dont know where you live, but I encourage you to use the salon finder here, and read the reviews, or post for a good curly stylist in your area. If you have a Ouidad salon where you live, you must live in a large metro area; it cannot be that impossible to find a good stylist.

Your mistake was that you went back - twice - to this woman. I have made similar mistakes myself and posted them here under "saga of the stylist" (I was charged for a styling that I did on myself. That was it, I never went back). I agree with Lynaea, my stylist now has a chair that she rents in a salon; she is a young gal but is very motivated when it comes to curly hair; she respects my knowledge and uses the products bring in for her to use on my hair, in fact she likes that. We should never accept average service as "the best we can get". FYI, years ago I had someome cut vertically into my hair, and it was a disaster; it thinned the top of my hair and took away the curl. It was then called "texturizing". Your hair will recover from it sooner than you think. I dont know who that technique works on, but it did not work for me, so I never was interested in a Ouidad cut when I visited Manhattan. Styling , maybe. Cut, no.
Sorry you had such a bad experience. I would definitely write your review because if everyone avoiding doing it just because the majority gave good reviews then nobody would ever know the truth. Also I much prefer to read the negative reviews for anything over the glowingly positive (though I realize they have merit as well) because you can get just about anyone to give you a positive review fake or real....
curlypearl likes this.
My Hair:
2c
Fine, low porosity, med/high density
BSL - going for mid back to waist

HG: currently
just washing with a low poo that contains protein (Alba Naturals Coconut) and using Suave Naturals Coconut as both a RO and LI. No stylers right now, but this gives me pretty good curl, definition, low-ish frizz, and it feels and looks good. Also an occasional PT (liking the Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula which has cones) seems to be key for me.

Modified CG since February 2013

I agree with the other posters. Definitely you should write the review. She sounds very unprofessional. She got "very irritated" with your request? How arrogant!

I'm so sorry you have had such a negative experience, but as one of the other posters said, we've all been there. For some reason the price of hairstyling has really soared in the last 10 years, and many stylists have an inflated opinion of their worth. They're giving us a bloody da** haircut, not performing brain surgery.

Write the review without hesitation and find someone new.
2/c and some 3A.
Protein sensitive but can use occasionally
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
Write it!!you can save someone from a curly hair nightmare
curlypearl likes this.
Honestly, if I were you I'd go try and get my money back. My friend once went back a week after her coloring and got her $90 back simply because she didn't like the "shade of red". But if you're that fearful of the confrontation (understandable) itself then I'd suggest going online and letting it all out there. You'll let the consumer know too. I think you owe it to yourself to strike back. The stylist is at fault.
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

Second getting money back advice. I had a horrid Ouidad cut too, years ago, and I asked for money back and got it with no problem. Talk to the salon administration about it, not the stylist, if she gave you attitude when you made a reasonable request, about your own hair, doubt she would be nice and understanding if you told her how you feel and what you want. If you can't talk to them directly then email or write a letter, maybe attach a picture. If they ignore or deny you or you get more attitude then write a review. But give them a chance at making it right first.

Back then it took me a year to grow it out to a point where it could be cut again, but once it was, by a good stylist, it was fine. In the meanwhile though I wanted to shave my head and start over too, it sucked. Just take hair growth supplements to speed it up, eat well, drink a lot of water, avoid stress for now.

I take daily 5000mg of Biotin, 1500mg of MSM, Silica complex (my fave is by Futurebiotics and the Now brand), Gelatin for growth (supposed to be for nails but I think it's doing something good for my hair too), Omega 3/6/9, and a multi, and all that does contribute to growth and less shedding. Read salon reviews while it's growing out, narrow down to stylists who seem the best, maybe go for consultations, ask if they can fix it, how, and how long to wait before it can be fixed. Look into those why do dry cuts, in my experience they understand curls more and don't mess up as much as with wet. All my horror cuts have been done wet.
3b/fine/thick/normal porosity/bsl