CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   General Discussion about Curly Hair (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/)
-   -   CG:How many of you have read the actual CG book? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/160190-cg-how-many-you-have-read-actual-cg-book.html)

KiraSavannah 07-06-2013 03:12 PM

CG:How many of you have read the actual CG book?
 
Did you read the book or just find the info online, I just ordered my book with express shipping, is it worth it or is the online info enough?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App

CurlyInTheFog 07-06-2013 03:24 PM

I've read it (the previous version). Honestly, I don't think there's much in there that you couldn't find online with a little research. However, I read it after several years of growing my hair long and spending time on the LHC site, so I already knew a lot of the concepts for maintaining healthy hair. If you're new to all that--sulfate-free shampoos, CO, avoiding silicones, etc.--I think it's definitely worthwhile.

kathymack 07-06-2013 03:26 PM

I've read both versions, not much information in either one of them. The only thing that made the second version worthwhile is the DVD.

chloe92us 07-06-2013 03:30 PM

I read the book. If you've read the stickies on this site, and the live curly live free site (I also read her book), the CG book will be extremely remedial.

SpiralSpunk 07-06-2013 03:57 PM

I have the ereader version on my ipad. There wasn't any new-to-me info when I read it because I had already done lots of CG research, but I don't think it's a total waste. The videos are decent although I wished they showed all the hair types. The tips are ok too although they aren't particularly groundbreaking.

I did find the parts about about trimming and color useful and I also appreciate the style section.

I still open the book on occasion just to look at the pictures :)

kaykre 07-06-2013 04:38 PM

Yep... I agree.

Sent from my VS920 4G using CurlTalk App

DolphinCurls 07-06-2013 05:08 PM

I read the first book back when I first joined this site. It was informative then, but I've learned even more thanks to the users and the articles on this site. It's good if you are just starting out, but that's about it.

NoMorePerfect 07-06-2013 05:36 PM

I bought it after perusing this site for a couple of days. I was not impressed and felt like I had wasted my money. The Live Curly, Live Free eBook was recommended and I thought it was much better and more helpful.

wavydaze 07-06-2013 09:44 PM

The CG book really just goes over cowashing/sulfate/silicone stuff. It won't tell you anything about protein-moisture balance, humectants and dew points etc.


I DO have a question though! I got the kindle version of the book and read it on kindle cloud reader on my laptop.... can I still access the stuff on the DVD?

KauaiMareCurl 07-06-2013 10:02 PM

I bought the book before I found this site, so I bought almost all of the Deva products. I pretty much don't use them anymore, having found other stuff I like better (the PJ that I am). I watched the DVD once, so maybe I should watch it again. If I had found this site first, I wouldn't have bought the book :-)

turquoisecurls 07-06-2013 10:04 PM

I bought the book first, then the deva products. It was a disaster! When I started researching that failure I found this site!
The stickies here are sooo much better then the book.

chloe92us 07-06-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavydaze (Post 2188034)
The CG book really just goes over cowashing/sulfate/silicone stuff. It won't tell you anything about protein-moisture balance, humectants and dew points etc.


I DO have a question though! I got the kindle version of the book and read it on kindle cloud reader on my laptop.... can I still access the stuff on the DVD?

I did watch the DVD, but most of it can be seen on the Deva site, just chopped up into different clips, like the Deva 3 step etc.

http://www.mydevacurl.com/curly_life...he_deva_3_step

KauaiMareCurl 07-06-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chloe92us (Post 2188043)

I did watch the DVD, but most of it can be seen on the Deva site, just chopped up into different clips, like the Deva 3 step etc.

http://www.mydevacurl.com/curly_life...he_deva_3_step

Thanks for posting this link, now I don't have to find my DVD, lol!

rainboe 07-07-2013 01:28 AM

I've read the latest edition of the book completely. The best things about it are the DVD and all the full color pictures of pretty curly hair. It's also a cute, upbeat book. There are some awful puns and weird curly empowerment stuff. At the end there are a few hair style suggestions with pictures. It was a cheap book, so I don't feel bad about getting it. I agree that most of the info is readily available online, so it's more of a review.

Rytoka 07-07-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavydaze (Post 2188034)
The CG book really just goes over cowashing/sulfate/silicone stuff. It won't tell you anything about protein-moisture balance, humectants and dew points etc.


I DO have a question though! I got the kindle version of the book and read it on kindle cloud reader on my laptop.... can I still access the stuff on the DVD?

I got it on my kindle as well and so far have no luck seeing the videos :(

chloe92us 07-07-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainboe (Post 2188081)
I've read the latest edition of the book completely. The best things about it are the DVD and all the full color pictures of pretty curly hair. It's also a cute, upbeat book. There are some awful puns and weird curly empowerment stuff. At the end there are a few hair style suggestions with pictures. It was a cheap book, so I don't feel bad about getting it. I agree that most of the info is readily available online, so it's more of a review.

Perfectly stated- it IS a feel-good book, although I didn't learn much.

Samanthascurlz 07-07-2013 11:22 AM

The digital book (got it on my iPad) was what pushed me to begin the natural journey. I liked the videos a lot because I am a visual learner. However, I wish I had found this site first because this site is more scientifically specific. The book makes it seem as if you stop using silicones and sulfates your hair will be great (which is partially true), but it's more complicated than that (as we all know). However, on a personal level, I treasure the book because it opened my eyes to being natural. But this site has helped me figure out my hair needs, if that makes sense.

jeepcurlygurl 07-07-2013 11:51 AM

I own and have read both editions a few times. I love the pics and stories and tho most of the info is available here and elsewhere online, I still like real books (yes, I'm a dinosaur). I learned things from both versions.

Curly0514 07-07-2013 03:07 PM

I read the book and it was the start of my curly hair journey. There is a lot more detailed information on this site, but the book is a great starting place. I'm thinking of buying a bunch of them and giving them to my curly friends and relatives.

Samanthascurlz 07-07-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly0514 (Post 2188235)
I read the book and it was the start of my curly hair journey. There is a lot more detailed information on this site, but the book is a great starting place. I'm thinking of buying a bunch of them and giving them to my curly friends and relatives.

That is a really good idea!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com