CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   General Discussion about Curly Hair (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/)
-   -   How bad are Deep conditioners with mineral oil? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/160214-how-bad-deep-conditioners-mineral-oil.html)

Aabida 07-07-2013 09:05 AM

How bad are Deep conditioners with mineral oil?
 
I'm in Egypt and I've been having to order my hair products from the States. I recently got curly kinks curlycue renew and it's the best d.c I have ever used! But... I only got 3 uses out of the 16oz jar. So I need to be alternating my weekly treatments with whats available here to stretch. But all the dc's I have looked at here either have loads of silicone and/or petrolatum and mineral oil. But there were some that had mineral oil way down the list so I'm thinking those might not be too bad.? Lots of the stores also have the Dabur Vatika Dc with these ingredients: Ingredients:*Aqua, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Myristyl Alcohol, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil (Olive Oil), Prununs Amigdalus Dulcis (Almond), Lawsonia Inermis (Henna) Extract, Parfum, Magnesium Nitrate, Magnesium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolione, Methylisothiazolonone, Citirc Acid, CI 16255, CI 19140, CI 14720, CI 73015, CI 28440.

Should I go for the little mineral oil dc's or the dabur? Or neither?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using CurlTalk App

kathymack 07-07-2013 09:16 AM

My first question to you is, what are your properties?? Here's a link to help Curly Hair Basics | Live Curly Live Free I,personally, can't use mineral oil. Don't know if that's a low porosity thing, or not.

Not sure why a 16 oz product would only last you 3 uses?? Do you have a ton of waist length hair?? You should apply product to damp hair, at the very least. That way it will distribute better.

Firefox7275 07-07-2013 09:31 AM

Mineral oil is incapable of penetrating and may build up if you don't shampoo. It's a cheap ingredient. Why don't you make your own deep conditioner with a basic conditioner plus coconut, olive or avocado or argan oil? You can add honey or sugar syrup as a humectant if it suits your climate.

The actives in the Curly Kinks renew are likely the panthenol and the glycerin, maybe some of the slippy film formers much like in Kinky Curly Knot Today. Only the panthenol will penetrate, given that I wonder how that would work as a leave in or with a much thinner layer used as a deep conditioner? Agree with KathyMack, that is a whole lot of conditioner per use.

Aabida 07-07-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymack (Post 2188138)
My first question to you is, what are your properties?? Here's a link to help Curly Hair Basics | Live Curly Live Free I,personally, can't use mineral oil. Don't know if that's a low porosity thing, or not.

Not sure why a 16 oz product would only last you 3 uses?? Do you have a ton of waist length hair?? You should apply product to damp hair, at the very least. That way it will distribute better.

Normal porosity, med-fine strands, medium density.

I was quite shocked myself because I get up to 4 uses out of the Bee mine 8oz deep conditioner. I noticed my hair has a lot more volume now but it's only neck length. I applied it after cleansing and blotting out the excess water so my hair was wet. I did make sure to coat each strand.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using CurlTalk App

Aabida 07-07-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefox7275 (Post 2188141)
Mineral oil is incapable of penetrating and may build up if you don't shampoo. It's a cheap ingredient. Why don't you make your own deep conditioner with a basic conditioner plus coconut, olive or avocado or argan oil? You can add honey or sugar syrup as a humectant if it suits your climate.

The actives in the Curly Kinks renew are likely the panthenol and the glycerin, maybe some of the slippy film formers much like in Kinky Curly Knot Today. Only the panthenol will penetrate, given that I wonder how that would work as a leave in or with a much thinner layer used as a deep conditioner? Agree with KathyMack, that is a whole lot of conditioner per use.

Its very arid over here and the dew point is usually less than 20. It was 0 on a particular day so I've been avoiding humectants. They don't have much products here really. But they do have The body shop. Are their hair products good? I do have all the oils you mentioned perhaps mix them with Mayonnaise?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using CurlTalk App

Firefox7275 07-07-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aabida (Post 2188163)
Its very arid over here and the dew point is usually less than 20. It was 0 on a particular day so I've been avoiding humectants. They don't have much products here really. But they do have The body shop. Are their hair products good? I do have all the oils you mentioned perhaps mix them with Mayonnaise?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using CurlTalk App

Body Shop Rainforest moisture conditioner is well thought of, you could add oils to that or humectants like honey or aloe vera when the dews are suitable. Mayonnaise is pointless, it's usually polyunsaturated vegetable oils which do not penetrate.

I'm experimenting with the Body Shop cottonseed curl boost at present, it's very lightweight tho. If you can get gelatin you can make your own protein treatment or body art quality henna you could try henna glosses.

Jessiebanana 07-07-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefox7275 (Post 2188141)
Mineral oil is incapable of penetrating and may build up if you don't shampoo. It's a cheap ingredient. Why don't you make your own deep conditioner with a basic conditioner plus coconut, olive or avocado or argan oil? You can add honey or sugar syrup as a humectant if it suits your climate.

The actives in the Curly Kinks renew are likely the panthenol and the glycerin, maybe some of the slippy film formers much like in Kinky Curly Knot Today. Only the panthenol will penetrate, given that I wonder how that would work as a leave in or with a much thinner layer used as a deep conditioner? Agree with KathyMack, that is a whole lot of conditioner per use.

I thought olive oil, long with coconut and avocado oil, penetrated.

Firefox7275 07-07-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessiebanana (Post 2188189)
I thought olive oil, long with coconut and avocado oil, penetrated.

They do indeed: both lauric acid and oleic acid are the right size and shape to penetrate, that is why I suggested those oils as additives.

If you are referring to the Curly Kinks the natural oils are right at the bottom of the ingredients list, unlikely to be anywhere near enough to be a serious 'active'. Glycerin and panthenol are often used at around 2%, the oils are even further down.

Aabida 07-08-2013 11:47 AM

KathyMack: ok I've discovered that I am using too much conditioner!

Firefox: I checked the ingredients of the bodyshop conditioners and got intimidated by them lol. The banana conditioner was the only one that seemed ok. I've decided to start mixing things up myself. I'll use the Curly kinks as the basic conditioner and add the penetrating oils and maybe humectants. How about rice bran oil? I've noticed that lots of products seem to have them.



Sent from my GT-I9300 using CurlTalk App

Firefox7275 07-08-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aabida (Post 2188593)
KathyMack: ok I've discovered that I am using too much conditioner!

Firefox: I checked the ingredients of the bodyshop conditioners and got intimidated by them lol. The banana conditioner was the only one that seemed ok. I've decided to start mixing things up myself. I'll use the Curly kinks as the basic conditioner and add the penetrating oils and maybe humectants. How about rice bran oil? I've noticed that lots of products seem to have them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using CurlTalk App


Body Shop Rainforest Moisture is a conditioner often used by curlies as I said. Banana conditioner looks CG friendly, but you very rarely see that used so maybe it's not that great as a leave in - not sure I'd want to leave fruit puree in my hair!!

The oils that penetrate are rich in lauric acid (coconut, babassu, palm kernel) or oleic acid (olive, avocado, argan). Good luck with the DIY, it's fun!

Aabida 07-08-2013 03:40 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies and very useful information!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using CurlTalk App


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com