Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > General Discussion about Curly Hair

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Corrina777
  • 2 Post By curlypearl

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
Unhappy Bumble and Bumble

Hey everyone!

I live in the UK and have 3a/b hair.

I have recently found a company called bumble and bumble and tried thier "Defining creme" cream. It was amazing! I don't like the shampoo or conditioner all that much.

However the cream contains Dimethicone - which is one of "the worst" silicones according to this website - what shall I do! No other cones are in there except for that one! Shall I just go for it or not?

Also I reallllly need some advice for a hair cleanser/cleaner other than a shampoo...I have never done the curly girl method and the UK isn't big on curly hair and no one has heard of the no poo method and think it's absurd!

I can't get any hair cleansers from here unless i buy online which will cost me way too much because shipping from US is always like 50 pounds! Please please help!
neelam.ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,342
Default

If you've found something you really like, I say go for it, unless you are experiencing problems. I have used B&B rich conditioner and I find it excellent. I'm not sure if it contains cones.

If you are experiencing build up from the cone, you need to use a shampoo either containing sulfates (which may be on the harsh side) or a poo containing coco betaine. What brands of shampoo are available to you? If you don't want to use shampoo, read up on conditioner washing and try that. See how it works for you.

Some people can get away with never using shampoo (the no poo "cg" method) and others find they need a poo containing coco betaine once a week or so (modified cg method). Experiment and see what leaves your hair happiest. Some people do fine with cones and sulfate poos. You may get more responses if you post your hair's properties. Is it fine, medium, coarse, dense, etc.?

HTH.
__________________
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high. Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
curlypearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
 
KiraSavannah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 415
Default

I like bumble&bumble, but it does have silicones, but when I used a product with dimethicone, I used a sulfate shampoo to rid or prevent build up.But if it's one of the only things that work for you, Go for it. Just make sure to get rid of and prevent build up. And in the UK people aren't aware of harsh sulfates? Or is their sulfate free shampoos?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
__________________
CG/LOC Method's 3b/3c hair SL-Curly/ Goal-MBL Curly
Weekly Poo/Low Poo: some Shea M Poo.
Weekly Deep Treat-Dermorganic Intensive Hair Masque
Bi-Weekly RO:Tresseme Naturals - V.Smooth/N.Moisture
Daily Leave in:Shea Moisture Extra Moisture Detangler
Daily Oil: Olive Oil & Conut Oil Mix
Daily Styler: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
KiraSavannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
Default

How do you know if there is a build up of cones?
neelam.ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
Default

In the uk there are a lot of normal hair shampoos, toni and guy, tresemme etc.

we do have some sulfate free shampoos i just dont think people are aware of it - and there isnt a big market for curly hair. some big brands do stuff FOR curly hair like herbal essences which i am sure you are all aware of, but nothing special!

i really like the look of the as i am coconut stuff but i just cant get it here!
neelam.ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
 
Corrina777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,427
Default

I just wanted to clarify a few things. First, I agree that if something works well for you, who cares if it's considered CG or not. I have CG products that I like and I have non-CG products that I like. In the end, it's your hair and just a lots of people have had amazing transformations by using CG method, there are plenty of non-CG wavies and curlies out there with gorgeous hair.
Second, the use of a sulfate-free shampoo (low-poo) is still full CG. The second edition of Curly Girl does advise to use either a sulfate-free cleanser or a botanical conditioner for cleaning the scalp. As an added bonus, many low-poos do contain coco betaine, which can remove all silicones, even dimethicone. There are even some cleansing conditioners with coco betaine like CJ Daily Fix.
Ultimately, the most important take-away with CG is learning how to treat your hair gently and understanding what your hair needs (protein/moisture) and what certain ingredients will do. If you understand these things, it won't matter what types of products you use.
__________________

3a/f/iii Before the chop- Donated to Locks of Love, January 2013
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CO-WASH: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo
CLARIFY: CHS Treatment Shampoo (used prior to PT/DT)
RO: DevaCare One Condition, Regis Olive Oil
LI: Cure Care, As I Am Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Biotera Gel, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, GVP Liquid Sculpting Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier and Strong Hold Mousse
PT/DT: IAGirl's PT, One n' Only Argan Hydrating Mask
Corrina777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,342
Default

If you have "build-up" your hair is likely to feel lank and heavy, look dull, perhaps have flakes on the scalp or hair.

Good luck - you've won the battle and almost the entire war - just by finding a product you like! The whole cone or no cone debate, cg or non cg or modified cg isn't as important as finding what your individual hair likes. It's like make-up - some like dewy finish, some like matte, some like satin finish, etc., depends on your skin type.

Enjoy!
Samanthascurlz and PerriP like this.
__________________
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high. Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
curlypearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
 
Samanthascurlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrina777 View Post
I just wanted to clarify a few things. First, I agree that if something works well for you, who cares if it's considered CG or not. I have CG products that I like and I have non-CG products that I like. In the end, it's your hair and just a lots of people have had amazing transformations by using CG method, there are plenty of non-CG wavies and curlies out there with gorgeous hair.
Second, the use of a sulfate-free shampoo (low-poo) is still full CG. The second edition of Curly Girl does advise to use either a sulfate-free cleanser or a botanical conditioner for cleaning the scalp. As an added bonus, many low-poos do contain coco betaine, which can remove all silicones, even dimethicone. There are even some cleansing conditioners with coco betaine like CJ Daily Fix.
Ultimately, the most important take-away with CG is learning how to treat your hair gently and understanding what your hair needs (protein/moisture) and what certain ingredients will do. If you understand these things, it won't matter what types of products you use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlypearl View Post
If you have "build-up" your hair is likely to feel lank and heavy, look dull, perhaps have flakes on the scalp or hair.

Good luck - you've won the battle and almost the entire war - just by finding a product you like! The whole cone or no cone debate, cg or non cg or modified cg isn't as important as finding what your individual hair likes. It's like make-up - some like dewy finish, some like matte, some like satin finish, etc., depends on your skin type.

Enjoy!
I have to say, these ladies hit the nail on the head!
__________________
High Porosity, Fine, Thin Density, Low Elasticity

Curls
Samanthascurlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelam.ahmad View Post
Hey everyone!

I live in the UK and have 3a/b hair.

I have recently found a company called bumble and bumble and tried thier "Defining creme" cream. It was amazing! I don't like the shampoo or conditioner all that much.

However the cream contains Dimethicone - which is one of "the worst" silicones according to this website - what shall I do! No other cones are in there except for that one! Shall I just go for it or not?

Also I reallllly need some advice for a hair cleanser/cleaner other than a shampoo...I have never done the curly girl method and the UK isn't big on curly hair and no one has heard of the no poo method and think it's absurd!

I can't get any hair cleansers from here unless i buy online which will cost me way too much because shipping from US is always like 50 pounds! Please please help!
There are loads of natural curlies in the UK, we have the British Curlies forum and the attached Curly Emporium shop! 5 shipping unless you spend over 50 then shipping is free, if you 'like' and follow their Facebook page they let you know of the regular sales and discounts (up to 20%).

Many of us UK curlies are doing conditioner only washing, we actually have a better selection of cheap co-wash products here than in the US. Inecto coconut conditioner or GUM Juice florida orange conditioner (both from Home Bargains or BodyCare), Tresemme Naturals conditioner. Used to be that Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Boots, Superdrug and Wilkinsons ALL had super cheap own brand Value/ Smartprice/ Essentials conditioners that were CG friendly, but some now contain mineral oil and I forget which ones so please read the ingredients.

If you like a curl cream you might try Boots Essentials pink curl creme, it's love or hate it, but cheap as chips. If your hair likes hydrolysed protein I am loving Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume conditioner from pound shops. If your hair prefers a little oil rather than protein Body Shop Rainforest Moisture conditioner is well liked. Pure KTC coconut oil from Tesco World Foods section.
High Street CG products | Curly Hair Forum by British Curlies
__________________
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bumble and bumble, curly, ingredients, silicone
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com