Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > General Discussion about Curly Hair

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By anonymous_133347
  • 1 Post By Firefox7275

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Default I seriously regret cutting my curly hair.?

So i wanted to do something crazy a few months ago and i cut my hair to shoulder length. I loved it it was easy to style.If i wanted it straight i didnt needed to use a lot of heat and it still looked cool if i came out of the shower with my curly hair. So i wanted to get rid of the in between length so i cut it again this time collarbone length and my curly looks afwful (i wanted to get rid of the layers) so i had to cut it even. My hair used to be long but it was damaged because it just wouldnt grow anymore so i was bored and i wanted a change..... and now i regret it. I regret that i cut it layers and that i cant really wear my hair curly anymore. I definity cut my hair a few inches off (let's 10 cm) 5 motnhs ago and it grew 6 cm back but what is really depressing me is that i need to start over again.....i feel ugly with those layers. I dont hate my shorter hair i actually love it and i dont want it really long again (that is not what im going for) but i was seriously hyperventilating because i want to model and i cant if my hair is a mess. I always sabotage myself. Now i want to grow back 5 cm in 2 month and its summer so i know it grows faster in the summer. What can i do to make it grow back faster. i seriously cant eat or sleep because im so depressed about this. My looks are important to e because i want to model. And my hair only looks great when i straighten it but i know that straightening is not good so i minimize it to 1 every 2 weeks. My hairtype is 3b. Im so depressed over this.....i even hyperventalited because i felt so hopeless....what can i do. When my hair was long it would not grow! i even stopped using heat on for 8 months straight and its still looked and felt tangly and stringly and it would never grow past my boobs....like ever. So i had to cut it off but this time i cut it too short and in layers....Im so so so sad. LITERALLY sick to my stomach. I dont want it back long because my hair was just too thin when i straightened it and lifeless but i would liketo have right above my boobs....i think that will look the prettiest on me and the fullest. So im not asking for much.

Thank you so much
Lovely2606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 462
Default

yep thats how i felt in april when i cut mine to ear level. it was so long. It was hard to deal with but instead of getting layers he talked me into cutting it really short. I hated it. I felt like a kid. But for some reason my hair is growing back really fast. its already past my shoulders now and usually it takes a year and a half to get there when I cut it in the past. Now i know never again will in get it cut and I trim my own hair now.
hambo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
 
anonymous_133347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely2606 View Post
So i wanted to do something crazy a few months ago and i cut my hair to shoulder length. I loved it it was easy to style.If i wanted it straight i didnt needed to use a lot of heat and it still looked cool if i came out of the shower with my curly hair. So i wanted to get rid of the in between length so i cut it again this time collarbone length and my curly looks afwful (i wanted to get rid of the layers) so i had to cut it even. My hair used to be long but it was damaged because it just wouldnt grow anymore so i was bored and i wanted a change..... and now i regret it. I regret that i cut it layers and that i cant really wear my hair curly anymore. I definity cut my hair a few inches off (let's 10 cm) 5 motnhs ago and it grew 6 cm back but what is really depressing me is that i need to start over again.....i feel ugly with those layers. I dont hate my shorter hair i actually love it and i dont want it really long again (that is not what im going for) but i was seriously hyperventilating because i want to model and i cant if my hair is a mess. I always sabotage myself. Now i want to grow back 5 cm in 2 month and its summer so i know it grows faster in the summer. What can i do to make it grow back faster. i seriously cant eat or sleep because im so depressed about this. My looks are important to e because i want to model. And my hair only looks great when i straighten it but i know that straightening is not good so i minimize it to 1 every 2 weeks. My hairtype is 3b. Im so depressed over this.....i even hyperventalited because i felt so hopeless....what can i do. When my hair was long it would not grow! i even stopped using heat on for 8 months straight and its still looked and felt tangly and stringly and it would never grow past my boobs....like ever. So i had to cut it off but this time i cut it too short and in layers....Im so so so sad. LITERALLY sick to my stomach. I dont want it back long because my hair was just too thin when i straightened it and lifeless but i would liketo have right above my boobs....i think that will look the prettiest on me and the fullest. So im not asking for much.

Thank you so much
First of all, try to stop stressing. It's hair. It will grow back. And you are more than your hair. I'm sure if you're wanting to model and are confident in that endeavor that you're quite pretty. And I believe hair at any length can be styled to look presentable. Go talk to a stylist: obviously one specializing in curly hair and with GOOD reviews (check this site and yelp). They might be able to cut or style it in such a way that it's cute at your current length and they also can shape it in such a way that it'll grow out nicely. If you don't know your properties already (how thick your hair is --coarse, medium or fine-- and how porous or elastic) it is you should find out because that's way more important than curl pattern.

livecurlylivefree.com

Then you'll be able to choose products that suit your hair. Just bc your hair is short doesn't mean it should be frizzy or messy. What are you using to style now and what is your routine?

Finally, if you want your hair to grow back faster, the best thing is to take care of yourself, both physically and mentally. If you don't already, exercise at least 3 times a week to increase blood flow and oxygen. I've been taking hair skin vitamins that I think are helping. Drink plenty of water. A good eight glasses a day is the general rule of thumb. A well balanced diet that does not consist of too much white bread, red meat, or sugar. Get your omega-3 fatty acids so that whatever hair does grow in is stronger. Also might want to look into castor oil application to the scalp for hair growth. And although some people don't have a problem with them, I'd try and avoid silicones and sulfates for the overall health of your hair and to reduce hair loss.

You know a picture would be super helpful too. (You can white out your face with photoshop if you want.) Sometimes people think their hair looks awful but it actually looks quite cute. We get that a lot on the forum. I'm worried you say you can't eat or sleep because of your hair. Is there anything else going on in your life that might be inducing stress or is it just this? Because if it's simply your hair, well, here's what I do whenever I feel strange about my hair. I remind myself that I'm young and I'm blessed to even have it. I'm blessed that it's thick. And I'm blessed that it's curly. Besides, curly hair makes you look younger, it will give you an edge in modeling because it's more versatile, and, let's be honest, it's more fun.
chloe92us likes this.
__________________
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

anonymous_133347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
 
wavydaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusalocks View Post
Sometimes people think their hair looks awful but it actually looks quite cute.
Agreed!

Most of us have suffered through just awful haircuts and can understand. I would recommend shelling out the extra cash and getting a good Deva cut or a dry cut from another non-Deva curl specialist. You may have to go shorter but short haircuts are super cut and you can totally rock it as a model! Depending on your cut now, a stylist may even be able to reshape without taking off much length!

Try as much as possible to relax about your hair. An extremely stressful project caused my hair to fall out! I'm currently regrowing. I know it's so much easier said than done to not-stress but look into ways of keeping stress at bay. You'll feel so much better and you hair will love you too!
__________________
fine - low porosity - medium density - normal elasticity. Very high dews. Soft water.

Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
Low-poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni 2chic BK&AO
RO: TN Radiant Care, Giovanni SaS, Ogx BKT*, Sukin Nourishing, SS Caitlin's, various
LI: sometimes TN Radiant Care
Styler: FSG with CNPF, CJ Pattern Pusha, Volumax Mega, Ouidad Climate Control*, Ogx BKT serum*
PT: CJ Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatine

*have cones
underline = I love these!

iherb discount code: CFN646
wavydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely2606 View Post
So i wanted to do something crazy a few months ago and i cut my hair to shoulder length. I loved it it was easy to style.If i wanted it straight i didnt needed to use a lot of heat and it still looked cool if i came out of the shower with my curly hair. So i wanted to get rid of the in between length so i cut it again this time collarbone length and my curly looks afwful (i wanted to get rid of the layers) so i had to cut it even. My hair used to be long but it was damaged because it just wouldnt grow anymore so i was bored and i wanted a change..... and now i regret it. I regret that i cut it layers and that i cant really wear my hair curly anymore. I definity cut my hair a few inches off (let's 10 cm) 5 motnhs ago and it grew 6 cm back but what is really depressing me is that i need to start over again.....i feel ugly with those layers. I dont hate my shorter hair i actually love it and i dont want it really long again (that is not what im going for) but i was seriously hyperventilating because i want to model and i cant if my hair is a mess. I always sabotage myself. Now i want to grow back 5 cm in 2 month and its summer so i know it grows faster in the summer. What can i do to make it grow back faster. i seriously cant eat or sleep because im so depressed about this. My looks are important to e because i want to model. And my hair only looks great when i straighten it but i know that straightening is not good so i minimize it to 1 every 2 weeks. My hairtype is 3b. Im so depressed over this.....i even hyperventalited because i felt so hopeless....what can i do. When my hair was long it would not grow! i even stopped using heat on for 8 months straight and its still looked and felt tangly and stringly and it would never grow past my boobs....like ever. So i had to cut it off but this time i cut it too short and in layers....Im so so so sad. LITERALLY sick to my stomach. I dont want it back long because my hair was just too thin when i straightened it and lifeless but i would liketo have right above my boobs....i think that will look the prettiest on me and the fullest. So im not asking for much.

Thank you so much
Firstly chill out, it's only hair and stressing will not make what you cut off reattach to your head. Refusing to eat or sleep and suffering anxiety is the fastest way to UNhealthy hair. Research your government's healthy eating and lifestyle guidelines and follow those, practice stress management techniques and get some early nights - models with a professional attitude eat nutrient dense food, keep themselves fit and get their beauty sleep.

Eight months without heat will be enough to grow perhaps four inches of virgin undamaged hair. It isn't enough to repair the damage already caused, that is impossible because hair is dead. Sometimes the ends are not salvageable and need to be cut off as you have rightly done, hair that is only somewhat damaged can be patch repaired (temporary) with ingredients like hydrolysed protein, coconut oil, ceramides and panthenol.

If you want longer healthy hair you can have that, but you can't have it instantly - people with longer healthy hair work hard over years and sacrifice things like heat styling. Models absolutely baby their hair away from work, most don't get to live like the rest of us and abuse their skin, hair and body: in many ways it's a 24/7 job. They are expected to rock up to castings with air dried hair and naked skin, so their natural beauty can be seen.

Heat styling even once every two weeks is damaging, especially if you use higher heat or your hair is not BONE dry. Maybe give your flat iron to someone for safe keeping and practice heat free methods like wet wrapping? Also next time have a curly specialist hair cut - see the salon reviews tab on the main NC site. Once you have a style that works with your curls you will have a unique look, long or short is not relevant you don't have to look like every other model but you do need to be healthy inside and out. That means mental health (stress/ anxiety) and physical health.
Morgan_Adcock likes this.
__________________
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
 
hairhealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 550
Default

[[[[hugs]]]]]

it'll grow back. i've had that feeling before, but seeing as I am growing out about my fourth or fifth baldy, look at me as hope that hair does in fact grow back.

short of a medical condition or malnourishment, just baby what you have and try not to think about it 'growing'.

you might not have the 'aids' i am privy too, but i am sure it will happen!
__________________
growout from baldy since 10/11
modified cg; cones & mild sulfate 'poo
-cowash: fave 2: vo5 strawberry
-rinseout:herbal essencesbodyenvy;color mehappy
-leave in: infusium 23 repair/renew spray
-dc: gvp conditioning balm

www.fotki.com/browncoily
hairhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
 
Marci Pie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 559
Default

I too have regretted a short cut. I do agree with the other post that you should go to a Deva specialist. If you can't be with the hair you love then love the hair your with so to speak until your hair grows back. And yes hair does grow back.

Also, go buy some earrings that match your hairstyle and be sure to wear make-up. That helps with feeling better and enjoying your now hairstyle.
__________________

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo
Co-wash: Suave, Vo5, HE, Aussie Moist
Deep Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's)
Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil.
Methods: Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
Marci Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavydaze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusalocks View Post
Sometimes people think their hair looks awful but it actually looks quite cute.
Agreed!

Most of us have suffered through just awful haircuts and can understand. I would recommend shelling out the extra cash and getting a good Deva cut or a dry cut from another non-Deva curl specialist. You may have to go shorter but short haircuts are super cut and you can totally rock it as a model! Depending on your cut now, a stylist may even be able to reshape without taking off much length!

Try as much as possible to relax about your hair. An extremely stressful project caused my hair to fall out! I'm currently regrowing. I know it's so much easier said than done to not-stress but look into ways of keeping stress at bay. You'll feel so much better and you hair will love you too!
YES. Get a devacut, they are amazing and it could give you back your confidence in your hair, they'll know what to do
curlygirl_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com