Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > General Discussion about Curly Hair

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Firefox7275

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7
Default I don't get my hair!

Okay so I've just started CG like a week ago. I've mostly always straightened my hair. A lot of my hair is still really curly, and not too bad. It looks pretty shiny and what not. Then there's the hair that's kinda near the back on both sides that looks really bad. Next to the shiny hair, it's so noticable. It's like you can barely tell it's curly unless you pick some up. It's really frizzy and it just looks a mess.

I did do a deep treatment today, it still looks the same except some of the strands that were just straight turned into a more curly strand. Also those parts take longer to dry and it doesn't absorb product well. The shiny/nice parts do the opposite.

I'm using Tresemme Naturals and just LA Sports Gel. I've used avocado oil too. I don't diffuse, just air dry.

Any help would be sooo appreciated! I really want to love my curls
anna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,205
Default

It would help to have more information. You used Tresemme Naturals _____ which version, and was that conditioner, not shampoo? And you used it how? How did you use the LA Looks Sports Gel? After that, what did you do?

And where does Avocado oil fit in the picture?

It would also be helpful to know your hair characteristics. Are the individual hairs fine, medium or coarse? Are they densely packed on your scalp? Is your hair elastic, or does it break easily? And do you know what its porosity is?

It would also be helpful to know what you did when you straightened it blow out, flat iron, heat protectant and how often you did that.
__________________
Peace,
Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
CGing since July 2008
Morgan_Adcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #3
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan_Adcock View Post
It would help to have more information. You used Tresemme Naturals _____ which version, and was that conditioner, not shampoo? And you used it how? How did you use the LA Looks Sports Gel? After that, what did you do?

And where does Avocado oil fit in the picture?

It would also be helpful to know your hair characteristics. Are the individual hairs fine, medium or coarse? Are they densely packed on your scalp? Is your hair elastic, or does it break easily? And do you know what its porosity is?

It would also be helpful to know what you did when you straightened it blow out, flat iron, heat protectant and how often you did that.

Ahh sorry! The popular tresemme noursing moisture conditioner with aloe and avocado. I cowash and rinse with it. I also use it as a leave in. Then I rake and scrunch the gel. After that I use a little bit of avocado oil. I figured I need as much moisture as I can get.

I'm pretty sure it's coarse. Yeah it's really full on top. Eh it kinda breaks easily, I guess it's just normal. I don't know the porosity, I'm still confused about that. It squeaks and its not super straight up, but some hairs are. Sorry these are terrible answers lol.

I would blow dry it straight and then use a flat iron. I used two different heat protectant type products. Umm it varies, like every week or so. I haven't done it much these past few months actually. I'd just leave my hair up in a bun.
anna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna7 View Post
Okay so I've just started CG like a week ago. I've mostly always straightened my hair. A lot of my hair is still really curly, and not too bad. It looks pretty shiny and what not. Then there's the hair that's kinda near the back on both sides that looks really bad. Next to the shiny hair, it's so noticable. It's like you can barely tell it's curly unless you pick some up. It's really frizzy and it just looks a mess.

I did do a deep treatment today, it still looks the same except some of the strands that were just straight turned into a more curly strand. Also those parts take longer to dry and it doesn't absorb product well. The shiny/nice parts do the opposite.

I'm using Tresemme Naturals and just LA Sports Gel. I've used avocado oil too. I don't diffuse, just air dry.

Any help would be sooo appreciated! I really want to love my curls
Welcome!

Sounds like that section still has build up and/ or is heat damaged, may well take time to recover its condition and de-frizz - if it does not in a couple of months you may need to trim it off. Don't confuse rough damaged hair with coarse hair, they may feel similar. Might we worth chelating/ clarifying again and really babying those ends, giving them way more leave in conditioner and more penetrating deep treatments.

Most products don't absorb into the hair, only relatively few ingredients can. Proven beneficial ingredients for damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.

Tresemme is a decent basic detangler but it doesn't contain much for damaged hair. Avocado oil is a penetrating oil but it doesn't moisturise, oils are anti-humectants/ occlusives/ sealants. You might find you get slightly different results with it if you blend some either with your leave in conditioner or with your gel. Few deep treatments give instant gratification, those that do generally contain silicones. Be patient and keep using proven ingredients.
anna7 likes this.
__________________
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna7 View Post
Okay so I've just started CG like a week ago. I've mostly always straightened my hair. A lot of my hair is still really curly, and not too bad. It looks pretty shiny and what not. Then there's the hair that's kinda near the back on both sides that looks really bad. Next to the shiny hair, it's so noticable. It's like you can barely tell it's curly unless you pick some up. It's really frizzy and it just looks a mess.

I did do a deep treatment today, it still looks the same except some of the strands that were just straight turned into a more curly strand. Also those parts take longer to dry and it doesn't absorb product well. The shiny/nice parts do the opposite.

I'm using Tresemme Naturals and just LA Sports Gel. I've used avocado oil too. I don't diffuse, just air dry.

Any help would be sooo appreciated! I really want to love my curls
Welcome!

Sounds like that section still has build up and/ or is heat damaged, may well take time to recover its condition and de-frizz - if it does not in a couple of months you may need to trim it off. Don't confuse rough damaged hair with coarse hair, they may feel similar. Might we worth chelating/ clarifying again and really babying those ends, giving them way more leave in conditioner and more penetrating deep treatments.

Most products don't absorb into the hair, only relatively few ingredients can. Proven beneficial ingredients for damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.

Tresemme is a decent basic detangler but it doesn't contain much for damaged hair. Avocado oil is a penetrating oil but it doesn't moisturise, oils are anti-humectants/ occlusives/ sealants. You might find you get slightly different results with it if you blend some either with your leave in conditioner or with your gel. Few deep treatments give instant gratification, those that do generally contain silicones. Be patient and keep using proven ingredients.
Wow thank you so much! Do you think I should get a better conditioner then? I'm thinking about buying some Shea Moisture products! But thanks so much, this was really helpful! I must be patient
anna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna7 View Post
Wow thank you so much! Do you think I should get a better conditioner then? I'm thinking about buying some Shea Moisture products! But thanks so much, this was really helpful! I must be patient
As I said "Most products don't absorb into the hair, only relatively few ingredients can. Proven beneficial ingredients for damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol."

Shea butter is not slippy, does not penetrate and can build up.
__________________
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com