whining - can't remember when my hair was this bad!

Like Tree14Likes

Curlypearl, you probably won't like my response. I was have no end of bad hair days - until I quit the dye. Even then, it took about 3 months for my hair to start looking better, fuller, softer. Now, with it about 1/3 gray, I rarely have a really bad hair day - some are better than others.

I admit I am anti-dye. I have often wondered how many other curlies, like me, and possibly like you, were having bad hair and more bad hair days - and did not of do not consider the impact of hair dye. Just my thoughts. I dont know how old you are or your reasons for coloring, but I was covering a huge amount of silver, and needed to go every 3 weeks for a root touch. It was damaging my hair.
goobernut likes this.
Hi Myrna

Actually, I agree with you, dye can really do a number on one's hair.

However, I think in my case it is more heat damage than dye damage. I had a bad haircut so I was trying a flat iron for the first time (never again) and hot curling brushes. Nothing worked and my hair got fried worse and worse.

Anyway, I did something I've actually never done before - a really looonnnggg deep conditioning with Curl Junkie Curl Rehab and it worked! I only used to do a deep conditioning for about ten minutes - I clearly need to do it for longer! Also I got a great haircut, so I am much happier now and my hair looks healthy. Miraculous!

The reason I continue to dye my hair is that with my extremely pale ivory skin tone, I look totally washed out with grey hair. I find that people with more color in their skin, whether pink or brown look nice with grey hair and some look fabulous! That's just my opinion.

Anyway, I was certainly not unhappy with your input and always interested to get feedback.
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
cp- you are right that pale skin can look washed out, which is what i have to be aware of. i cannot wear white or very pale colors, need vivid colors.
for me it was easier to modify my wardrobe than to dye every 3 weeks, what a pain! took up too much time in my life, and too expensive.
curlypearl, WurlyLox and goobernut like this.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Curlypearl: I invite you to join the Facebook site "Going Gray and Loving It"! the founder, Sharon Danley, was in the entertainment business and knows a great deal about gray hair and how to maximize your look. You have to request to join and you do not have to have gray hair.

I agree with rbb about colors...I m also very pale but my skin is slightly pink, so I wear the "winter" pallette - I wont have to change much of my colors when I am all silver.

I agree that heat is very damaging.

Since I have stopped dyeing my hair, I have gotten many more compliments on my hair. I just think that sometimes when we dont like our hair, we overlook the obvious. Check out the Going Gray site! there are a few of us from here who are there.
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,073
Curlypearl, you probably won't like my response. I was have no end of bad hair days - until I quit the dye. Even then, it took about 3 months for my hair to start looking better, fuller, softer. Now, with it about 1/3 gray, I rarely have a really bad hair day - some are better than others.

I admit I am anti-dye. I have often wondered how many other curlies, like me, and possibly like you, were having bad hair and more bad hair days - and did not of do not consider the impact of hair dye. Just my thoughts. I dont know how old you are or your reasons for coloring, but I was covering a huge amount of silver, and needed to go every 3 weeks for a root touch. It was damaging my hair.
Originally Posted by Myrna
Myrna, I need to respectfully disagree with you. I know everyone's not the same but since I've been coloring my fine hair for several decades and also went to beauty school and have done other people's color, I really cannot agree with the blanket statement that hair color is "bad" for you. It all depends on what product is used to color, how it's done, and how the person cares for their hair.

I grew in a place where
90% of all women had chemically relaxed hair and many colored their hair with permanent dies, but the only method of styling hair, at home or in a salon, was a roller set, which is very protective for the hair. I remember using "Vitapoint" (a hairdressing cream) on the ends and that helped to keep them at least looking healthy. I hardly ever saw anyone whose hair looked damaged because when the hair started to get dry we'd go get a jar of a rich DT or make a "hair bomb" to "revive" our hair. So, I'm convinced that some of today's practices are what's destroying people's hair.

Hair that grows out of one's hair healthy can take quite a bit of abuse IF given proper care. One thing a lot of people don't know is that most "box color" is often harsher than professional brands. Another is that running color down the shaft at every retouch is unnecessary, if the color product is only applied at the root, at least every other time, the rest of the hair can maintain its integrity. I can tell there's a difference between the porosity of the already colored hair up to 2" out of my scalp and the rest, and an even bigger difference at the ends, but in the past 4 months I've put color on my entire head about 5-6 times and bleach once, yet my hair continues to curl very well.

Now, last week I did notice that the box color I used (for an entire hour...) left my hair a little frizzy because the cuticle got open a bit too much, so now I have to tighten it and CG is ideal for that.

What I'm saying is that one single color application affects the hair very little but repeated applications of color are another thing.

When I started CG I'd given myself "balayage" highlights that left my hair damaged and very "tangly", but I did tons of DTs that first month and soon enough no one could suspect, even at a salon, that I'd had any damage in my hair which was like BSL back then. I didn't even need gel because my hair did not frizz... and I was living in S. FL where it's hot and humid most of the year.

And even last week I colored my hair 2x (because the first didn't turn out like I expected) and yesterday i put on a toner, but it was an ammonia & peroxide free one. However, I decided to do a roller set to wear it wavy-straight, b
ut because I wanted to go out (and in the end couldn't...) I finished drying each section with a curling brush dryer and I could almost "hear" some of my ends "screaming"! So I put a bit of VCO on them but they were sucking it up instantly so I had to use more, can't remember when I'd had to use so much on dry hair! But that worked to revive those ends, they went from flat and dull to shiny and bouncy.

I was giving other examples but this got too long so I decided to just use myself as example.

So, with all my experiences behind my back my advice is just do one "bad" thing at a time. If you color, avoid using heat or do it infrequently, otherwise you'll have to resign yourself to always having short hair. And do LONG DTs (no less than 30 min. with a plastic cap and towel wrapped around your head) as if your life depended on it and don't be too shy about putting oil in those ends!

Last edited by CGSince2002; 07-19-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Years of salon coloring absolutely fried my hair. Not bleach. Just coloring. I also don't straighten. I'm still growing out damage. I also must honestly say that I've been to numerous stylists over the years. Every time I would ask about possible damage, they would all say that coloring isn't bad for hair. I disagree.
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,073
Years of salon coloring absolutely fried my hair. Not bleach. Just coloring. I also don't straighten. I'm still growing out damage. I also must honestly say that I've been to numerous stylists over the years. Every time I would ask about possible damage, they would all say that coloring isn't bad for hair. I disagree.
Originally Posted by JLeighs
Please don't be offended by this but it just seems to me your hair doesn't grow out strong and healthy to begin with. Mine is as fine as it can get, the type of hair that normally gets damaged much more easily, but the only time it didn't bounce back was when I had bleach on it 3x and color 2x in the course of a month, but it was still curling before the last bleaching and demi-color and if I'd known what I do today about toners I wouldn't have had to bleach that last time.

And it should be "fried" right now with all I've done to it since March but it's just not. But I have soft water too, when people have harder water that poses a different challenge on hair health.

So how hair reacts to coloring is a very individual thing, and that's why I don't think it's right to say "color is bad for everyone". In fact, some types of hair may even benefit from it, believe or not. Examples are very lo-porosity hair that's hard to manage as opening the cuticle up a little maximizes the effectiveness of a lot of products; very fine dyed to a darker color (as the pigments will add a bit of thickness), or overly curly but healthy hair as it could soften up the curl some. But everyone who colors their hair needs to understand that the hair has been permanently changed so it will require extra "feeding" and TLC for as long as it's on the head.
CG: I also respectfully disagree. I had my hair colored professionally - with permananent color - for over 20 years. THe color used was Goldwell, and Redken, and I am sure that you have no issues with either of them. And, it was the roots only that were done. However, that outgrowth that was colored traveled down the length of my hair, as my hair grew. I am not a professional, but I do see a huge difference between my "old" dyed hair, and the new silver. I never used a flat iron on my hair, and take good care of it. I do dry it with a diffuser because that seems to "set" the product better in my hair. I just cannot imagine how harsh chemicals that open the cuticle, deposit color and close it, are good for the hair.

Please don't be offended by this but it just seems to me your hair doesn't grow out strong and healthy to begin with.
Originally Posted by CGSince2002
My hair grows out of my head healthy and strong. Chemical coloring wreaks havoc on it. You surely cannot be suggesting that if chemical coloring causes damage to your virgin hair, it's your hair that's the problem, not the chemicals?
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,073
CG: I also respectfully disagree. I had my hair colored professionally - with permananent color - for over 20 years. THe color used was Goldwell, and Redken, and I am sure that you have no issues with either of them. And, it was the roots only that were done. However, that outgrowth that was colored traveled down the length of my hair, as my hair grew. I am not a professional, but I do see a huge difference between my "old" dyed hair, and the new silver. I never used a flat iron on my hair, and take good care of it. I do dry it with a diffuser because that seems to "set" the product better in my hair. I just cannot imagine how harsh chemicals that open the cuticle, deposit color and close it, are good for the hair.
Originally Posted by Myrna

Please don't be offended by this but it just seems to me your hair doesn't grow out strong and healthy to begin with.
Originally Posted by CGSince2002
My hair grows out of my head healthy and strong. Chemical coloring wreaks havoc on it. You surely cannot be suggesting that if chemical coloring causes damage to your virgin hair, it's your hair that's the problem, not the chemicals?
Originally Posted by JLeighs
Myrna, no, I never used those brands so I cannot say if maybe they are harsher than what I've used but that is rather hard for me to believe, although, naturally, I could be wrong, not saying I know everything either! For many years I've been using Wella Color Charm gel, which has some ammonia but it has never negatively affected my hair.

I'm not trying to invalidate anyone's negative experiences at all, but please try to see things from my point of view. If I have fine hair and it takes so much for damage to show in my hair, while others who are assuring me they have taken good care of theirs but got it damaged by much less, what else could I think? I really didn't mean to be offensive with what I said but maybe what some may think is strong healthy hair is really not as much when compared to other people's hair. Unless you think that I'm not telling the truth about my hair and making up all I've said I've done. But I really have nothing to gain by embellishing my own experiences.

Frankly, I never thought my hair was anything extraordinary until now. I've now read several accounts of people's hair getting damaged not just by color but by one use of baking soda or ACV, things that don't affect my hair. I can't help but think that maybe I truly have exceptionally strong hair, because that's the only explanation left, perhaps it's all the supplements I take!

However, I do see lots of girls on Youtube coloring their hair and stripping it repeatedly, and some of them have pretty long hair, so obviously their hair is also pretty strong.

Last edited by CGSince2002; 07-19-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Myrna, thanks for the invitation to join the Facebook page on Going Gray and Loving It.

I am one of the few diehards who have refused to join Facebook altogether, so I can't read it. I did join at first but privacy concerns made me back out.

I probably need to find support group for people who hate Facebook
rbb and WurlyLox like this.
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
Myrna, thanks for the invitation to join the Facebook page on Going Gray and Loving It.

I am one of the few diehards who have refused to join Facebook altogether, so I can't read it. I did join at first but privacy concerns made me back out.

I probably need to find support group for people who hate Facebook
Originally Posted by curlypearl
Count me in! I call it Fakebook and I don't have an acct! LOL
rbb likes this.
Very fine, high porosity, currently dyed and growing out the relaxed portions. I'm pretty sure my hair's 3b something IIRC. We will be finding out for sure as time goes by.

It's official: My hair just loves Shea Moisture. I use a mixture of products from the Raw Shea Butter, African Black Soap, and Coconut & Hibiscus lines.
The owner of the salon I just left had the strongest hair I have ever seen. Her hair is a different color every 3 weeks. Her hair is also very fine, yet it seems to be able to take just about anything you can throw at it. Her hair is shoulder length and it grows very, very fast. How fast your hair grows has, in my opinion, something to do with how well the health can be maintained (unless you never cut it). My hair grows incredibly slow. Because of that, the hair I do have has been exposed to everything much longer than the person who's hair grows much faster. My cousin also has hair that grows like a weed. It, too, can take a whole lot more abuse than mine can. Because she gets more frequent cuts than I do, she is continuously cutting off any accumulated damage. I am unable to do that because I'll end up with a pixie.
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,073
The owner of the salon I just left had the strongest hair I have ever seen. Her hair is a different color every 3 weeks. Her hair is also very fine, yet it seems to be able to take just about anything you can throw at it. Her hair is shoulder length and it grows very, very fast. How fast your hair grows has, in my opinion, something to do with how well the health can be maintained (unless you never cut it). My hair grows incredibly slow. Because of that, the hair I do have has been exposed to everything much longer than the person who's hair grows much faster. My cousin also has hair that grows like a weed. It, too, can take a whole lot more abuse than mine can. Because she gets more frequent cuts than I do, she is continuously cutting off any accumulated damage. I am unable to do that because I'll end up with a pixie.
Originally Posted by JLeighs
I am very glad you mentioned that because that is the case with me, just yesterday when I gave myself another micro-trim I was thinking how my hair grows like a weed, I'd just trimmed the ends like 2 weeks earlier and I'd swear it was looking the same again. Now that I'm not even interested in length and fast growth is just a reason to have to retouch (although I only do it every 4-5 weeks) it happens, why couldn't that have been when I was a young girl...

Last edited by CGSince2002; 07-19-2014 at 08:37 PM.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com