Here are my suggestions, based on what has worked for me (although I realize your results may vary!):Here's what I did today:
1. Water wash with baking soda
2. Rake two huge handfuls of gel into sopping wet hair
3. Plop with a t-shirt for five minutes
4. Define my part with a wide-tooth comb
5. Let air dry for one hour
6. Finish drying with a diffuser for about three minutes
7. Then it was frizzy on top, so I put a nickel-size amount of BRHG (I finally found it!) on the top
8. Scrunch, turn head upside down and loosen curls
I usually dry with a regular towel, put the gel in after I take the towel off, comb all of my hair to detangle, and don't air dry. Obviously that's not working.
I decided if I'm going to use a whole lot of gel, I should stick with the cheaper gels and just use the more expensive BRHG to touch up. It's better than before, but it still frizzes when I diffuse or after I go outside. During the week, I don't have time to let it air dry.
Suggestions, please? Thanks again!!
-Try not using a wide-toothed comb at all. I was using one in the shower after rinsing, and I liked the results when I decided to go without one day. I've been going without ever since.
-Diffuse dry for a short amount of time before air drying.
-Scrunch the gel into your hair rather than raking it in.
Hope you start finding what works best for you, soon!