Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > General Discussion about Curly Hair

Old 05-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #1

tycho19's Avatar

Join Date: May 2005
Default Gel amounts- let's review

I am a 2b with shoulder length hair. I usually only use leave-in + gel. I think I may be overdoing the gel, so someone bring me back to reality. I have been using about a teaspoon on the top, then I flip and use a teaspoon raked into the back and scrunched to the ends. So, 2 teasp total. Sometimes it just feel dry and coated, esp on the second day. I'm going to try less tomorrow, but how much do you all use? My hair is medium thickness and relatively coarse. Thanks!
2B/2C wavy
Don't Breed and Buy While Shelter Dogs Die - Adopt your next best friend!
tycho19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #2

msgiblet's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006

I have fine, thick & a little longer than shoulder length hair and I use between a nickel to a quarter-sized amount, depending on the gel. I scrunch that in and then use maybe another dime-sized amount and scrunch again making sure to get the sides and top. I still struggle with the amounts myself. If I don't get enough, I don't have enough hold. If I use enough or a little too much, it looks good, but sometimes I feel like I'm scrunching crunch out all day. It's getting a little better since I'm experimenting more with leave-ins and creams/curl enhancers underneath my gels.
http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

msgiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #3

SoaringSiren's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008

I have thick/coarse shoulder length hair as well. I use about two small puddles of gel. One puddle to scrunch on my sides, and the other one to get the back of my head and my ends.

There is some crunch when dry, but I just scrunch it out, of course.

I also use a curl creme underneath it which also helps. I think I would need more gel if I didn't use the curl creme first.
3a locks!
Daily Products!: Suave Naturals Coconut, Jessicurl WDT, MOP-C, Biotera Curl Creme, & LA Looks Sports Gel!
^^^Proof that you can be CG without spending tons of money! =) ^^^

CG since April 5th, 2008!

pw: lotsofcurls

Originally Posted by jillipoo View Post
Boy, it really depends on the gel (and the weather, and the position of the stars, and what kind of mischief Britney Spears has gotten into).
SoaringSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #4

brown_eyedgal20's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008

I use a lot. I use about 4 good size palm puddles, but my hair is also past shoulder length. I get too much frizz and not enough hold if I use less...
2c/3aMiii

Loving JC and CK products... Been loving them for 3 years...looking to branch out and try new things!!!
brown_eyedgal20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #5

Join Date: Oct 2007

My hair is between jaw and shoulder length and isn't thick. Here's what I use:

Biotera: A nickel size scrunched into towel-dried hair on one side, another nickel size on the other side. About a dime size scrunched into the top.

F/X Curl Booster Fixative: A quarter size -- same procedure -- and dime size on top

Aveda Flax Seed: One quarter size rubbed between my hands and scrunched into entire head.

I always have some kind of leave-in or curl creme or Rockin' Ringlets under any gel.

Are these amounts always right for me? Not always but most of the time.
3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl

Old 05-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #6

SoaringSiren's Avatar

Originally Posted by jillipoo View Post

I hope my hair's needs does not depend on the shenanigans of some celebrity!!

I'm totally adding this into my signature!
3a locks!
^^^Proof that you can be CG without spending tons of money! =) ^^^

CG since April 5th, 2008!

pw: lotsofcurls

SoaringSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #7

I am honored.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #8

Auburn Sunset's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008

I guess I use about a quarter size of HE gel and that's usually enough for me. I work it in while the hair is wet, pretty much on the ends and my edges.
PW: auburnsunset
Happy to be 3B!
My Fav's
Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner
Nextimage Curl & Wavy Curl Defining Conditioner & Detangler (never leave home w/o it)
Fantasia IC Sparklelites Gel
Bed Head TIGI Moisture Maniac
Suave Healthy Curls Curl Creme
Auburn Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #9

brown_eyedgal20's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008

I probably have to leave in a little more leave in. Hair has been super dry since I used the Chagrin shampoo bar last weekend. Dry hair sucks.
2c/3aMiii

brown_eyedgal20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #10

Kitara's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008

Oh gosh I use a lot. My hair is so pourus (sp?) that a little does nothing. It depends on the gel, but if it's thick and sticky like La Bella then I use less, but if it's thinner I use more. Maybe 3-5 large puddles.
Kitara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #11

Boomygrrl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008

I think that since you use a leave-in, you probably need less gel. I find leave-ins help with the distribution of styling products and can act as a mild styling product in and of itself.
That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.

3a/3b
Boomygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #12

Notty's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007

Originally Posted by Kitara View Post
Me too! I have such coarse, porous hair I think it knows whats coming and sucks everything in site. I use tons of it. If not I would get little frizzies mostly underneath. Definately wouldn't get anything close to 2nd day hair!
between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!
Notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #13

CurlyBrat's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2003

I actually use what I consider a LOT. I have very fine hair that just barely touches my shoulders, but I use about 2 quarter sized puddles of Biotera, or 2 nickel sized blobs of FX which is thicker.

I figured out fairly quickly that my hair loves lots of product, as long as it's GOOD product.
3a/b thin/fine
fotki PW: curls
updated 5/1/2010 "starting over"

Routine:
don't even HAVE a "routine" at the moment...
HG: still GVP Conditioning Balm and Biotera Gel/CC
Experimentals: HE TMS Spray Gel, LOOB

Riot Crrl: "Revenge is a dish best served with a side of awesome hair."

CurlyBrat is offline   Reply With Quote