CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   General Discussion about Curly Hair (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/)
-   -   Attention people who've tried sleeping with crunch (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/72767-attention-people-whove-tried-sleeping-crunch.html)

Laura Lee 04-05-2009 06:31 PM

Attention people who've tried sleeping with crunch
 
I've only done this a couple times and I've had extremely mixed results. I have to sleep with my hair down or with a gazillion clips since it isn't long enough to pineapple. I highly doubt I could keep a bonnet on my head overnight; I'm a violent sleeper :laughing9:

So my options come down to 1) sleep with crunch scrunched out, 2) sleep with lots of clips (owwie), or 3) sleep with crunch.

Any thoughts, stories, tips on sleeping with crunch when you can't put your hair up for the night??

curlyjenn10 04-05-2009 06:34 PM

Have you tried a scarf (a la "I Love Lucy")?

My hair isn't as short as yours, but since my cut I've had to adjust my sleep method. I use mix of clips and short pineapples, all high enough on my head so that it doesn't hurt. I'm not sure your hair is long enough to do it though.

whatsercurl 04-05-2009 06:40 PM

You should check out xcptnl thread about the night of many experiments. She said sleeping pre-scrunching was promising. She also has shorter hair.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=72132

susieQ730 04-05-2009 06:48 PM

I never thought to sleep with the crunch in my hair. As my hair is currently drying, maybe I should try that tonight. I've tried pineappling, but that was annoying to sleep that way, think my hair isn't long enough yet to do properly. And my hair is very "moldable", meaning it stays in that position. I tried a satin bonnet, but I got weird bends and freaky frizzy hair(might have been product related). I haven't tried clips, not even sure how I would do that...
Thanks for the idea, think I'll try it...have nothing to lose, will report the results!

Laura Lee 04-05-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlyjenn10 (Post 926828)
Have you tried a scarf (a la "I Love Lucy")?

My hair isn't as short as yours, but since my cut I've had to adjust my sleep method. I use mix of clips and short pineapples, all high enough on my head so that it doesn't hurt. I'm not sure your hair is long enough to do it though.

My scalp is a deva. The reason I don't want to have to deal with clips and such is that I always wake up with a bad headache. Not a fun way to start the day. I haven't tried a scarf because I don't have a suitable one. I'm not a scarf girl haha. All of my scarves are the practical kind (big, thick, wool, and warm). I worry that I wouldn't be able to keep it on during the night too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatsercurl (Post 926835)
You should check out xcptnl thread about the night of many experiments. She said sleeping pre-scrunching was promising. She also has shorter hair.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=72132

Thanks for the link :) I haven't been on as much lately due to midterms and I'd missed that thread entirely. I'll have to take a detailed look

whatsercurl 04-05-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura Lee (Post 926843)
Quote:

Originally Posted by curlyjenn10 (Post 926828)
Have you tried a scarf (a la "I Love Lucy")?

My hair isn't as short as yours, but since my cut I've had to adjust my sleep method. I use mix of clips and short pineapples, all high enough on my head so that it doesn't hurt. I'm not sure your hair is long enough to do it though.

My scalp is a deva. The reason I don't want to have to deal with clips and such is that I always wake up with a bad headache. Not a fun way to start the day. I haven't tried a scarf because I don't have a suitable one. I'm not a scarf girl haha. All of my scarves are the practical kind (big, thick, wool, and warm). I worry that I wouldn't be able to keep it on during the night too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatsercurl (Post 926835)
You should check out xcptnl thread about the night of many experiments. She said sleeping pre-scrunching was promising. She also has shorter hair.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=72132

Thanks for the link :) I haven't been on as much lately due to midterms and I'd missed that thread entirely. I'll have to take a detailed look

Good luck with your exams! :D

My son has been gone all weekend doing one last project. Finals start on the 13th. He can't wait for a break. :happy6:

izzytart 04-05-2009 06:53 PM

I have moderate success with sleeping on the crunch, but it has to be completely dry inside the clumps or it frizzes and/or dries sticking at all sorts of weird angles. (And you must have a smooth pillow case, of course). It has depended on the product combos as well ... KCCC by itself isn't enough hold, but a gel is ok. Logical? Yes, in theory, but I didn't think it through on the KCCC-only night ;)

YMMV, etc. :D

CurlyCara 04-05-2009 06:56 PM

I'm also a violent sleeper Laura Lee so when i firsted started CG mine was slipping off all the time. I pineapple under my bonnet so it wasnt too bad, but anyways what I found keeps it on for me is a couple "X'ed" bobby pins on the each side of the back of my neck where I actually booby pin the bonnet to my hair, and I also do the same same right in front of each ear, and I dont feel them at all during the night and it keeps my bonnet on jsut the way I left it before I went to bed.

RozettaStone 04-05-2009 06:56 PM

I've wanted to try to sleep with crunch, I've told myself I'm going to try it -- but I just CANNOT resist SOTC before going to bed!

curlygirl18 04-05-2009 06:58 PM

Hmm, good topic, Laura Lee, since I have been wondering this too! ;) I was actually going to sleep in a bonnet tonight after I washed earlier and put in some KCCC. Are you guys saying not to use a bonnet now? Perhaps I should just sleep on the crunch with no bonnet?? So hard to decide! I really want good hair in the morn!! :)

curlygirl18 04-05-2009 07:08 PM

The bobby pins are a good idea!! Has anyone tried waiting until their hair dries and THEN plopping overnight?

Laura Lee 04-05-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susieQ730 (Post 926842)
I never thought to sleep with the crunch in my hair. As my hair is currently drying, maybe I should try that tonight. I've tried pineappling, but that was annoying to sleep that way, think my hair isn't long enough yet to do properly. And my hair is very "moldable", meaning it stays in that position. I tried a satin bonnet, but I got weird bends and freaky frizzy hair(might have been product related). I haven't tried clips, not even sure how I would do that...
Thanks for the idea, think I'll try it...have nothing to lose, will report the results!

I'm wishing I'd have thought to do this on a weekend day rather than a day when I not only have to go to class tomorrow, but at my university we are having one of our prospective student days for admitted high school seniors who are deciding where to go to college, and I'm a volunteer with that. I don't want people to get the impression that my school is filled with hair experiments gone wrong hah! :alien:

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatsercurl (Post 926847)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura Lee (Post 926843)
Quote:

Originally Posted by curlyjenn10 (Post 926828)
Have you tried a scarf (a la "I Love Lucy")?

My hair isn't as short as yours, but since my cut I've had to adjust my sleep method. I use mix of clips and short pineapples, all high enough on my head so that it doesn't hurt. I'm not sure your hair is long enough to do it though.

My scalp is a deva. The reason I don't want to have to deal with clips and such is that I always wake up with a bad headache. Not a fun way to start the day. I haven't tried a scarf because I don't have a suitable one. I'm not a scarf girl haha. All of my scarves are the practical kind (big, thick, wool, and warm). I worry that I wouldn't be able to keep it on during the night too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatsercurl (Post 926835)
You should check out xcptnl thread about the night of many experiments. She said sleeping pre-scrunching was promising. She also has shorter hair.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=72132

Thanks for the link :) I haven't been on as much lately due to midterms and I'd missed that thread entirely. I'll have to take a detailed look

Good luck with your exams! :D

My son has been gone all weekend doing one last project. Finals start on the 13th. He can't wait for a break. :happy6:

Thanks!! I don't start finals until the 30th but I get out a week later. Nothing sounds nicer to me right now than a beach trip and laying in the sun without a textbook.

Quote:

Originally Posted by izzytart (Post 926848)
I have moderate success with sleeping on the crunch, but it has to be completely dry inside the clumps or it frizzes and/or dries sticking at all sorts of weird angles. (And you must have a smooth pillow case, of course). It has depended on the product combos as well ... KCCC by itself isn't enough hold, but a gel is ok. Logical? Yes, in theory, but I didn't think it through on the KCCC-only night ;)

YMMV, etc. :D

I'll be up late studying tonight; I assure you my hair will be dry! :laughing3:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurlyCara (Post 926851)
I'm also a violent sleeper Laura Lee so when i firsted started CG mine was slipping off all the time. I pineapple under my bonnet so it wasnt too bad, but anyways what I found keeps it on for me is a couple "X'ed" bobby pins on the each side of the back of my neck where I actually booby pin the bonnet to my hair, and I also do the same same right in front of each ear, and I dont feel them at all during the night and it keeps my bonnet on jsut the way I left it before I went to bed.

Well I also don't want to have to go buy a bonnet! Sleeping on crunch is free haha :happy6:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RozettaStone (Post 926853)
I've wanted to try to sleep with crunch, I've told myself I'm going to try it -- but I just CANNOT resist SOTC before going to bed!

This is difficult for me too, especially since I used a new product combo (tried and true products put together that hadn't been tried together before). I wanna see what it looks like, but I also want to have decent hair tomorrow. Oh the choices

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlygirl18 (Post 926858)
Hmm, good topic, Laura Lee, since I have been wondering this too! ;) I was actually going to sleep in a bonnet tonight after I washed earlier and put in some KCCC. Are you guys saying not to use a bonnet now? Perhaps I should just sleep on the crunch with no bonnet?? So hard to decide! I really want good hair in the morn!! :)

Yeah, your PM inspired me haha. I can't speak to the topic of bonnets since I don't use one though.

curlygirl18 04-05-2009 07:33 PM

I'm glad you posted! The plopping when dry thing though makes me ponder if anyone has tried it...

susieQ730 04-05-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura Lee (Post 926867)
I'm wishing I'd have thought to do this on a weekend day rather than a day when I not only have to go to class tomorrow, but at my university we are having one of our prospective student days for admitted high school seniors who are deciding where to go to college, and I'm a volunteer with that. I don't want people to get the impression that my school is filled with hair experiments gone wrong hah! :alien:

I know what you mean, I try not to do too many hair experiments during the work week. Bad hair days make me grumpy. But I'll attempt this one, if it goes bad I can always put it up!

Wishing you a great hair day tomorrow! I'm sure it will look great!

xcptnl 04-06-2009 04:49 AM

I also had mixed results. The night I used a silk cap - the next day was pretty good except for the front where the cap distorted my hair. It kinda pulled it back funny. So last Thursday I tried without a cap and when I got up I thought it would be great. I didn't scrunch out until mid-day - it looked horrid - frizzy and stringy all at the same time. I am thinking it did not like being in the hard stage that long. :dontknow:

Both times my hair was completely dry before I went to bed. It was very very difficult to not scrunch!!

Infraredhead 04-06-2009 04:57 AM

I have tried bonnets (came off during the night) and pineappling (headache) so I gave in about a year ago and go to sleep with my hair half to one quarter wet. I only have to spritz my hair in the morning with water if I go to bed with crunchy hair. I am guaranteed a ponytail day if I go to bed with no crunch because I wake up looking like the Lion King. My schedule doesn't allow me to co-wash in the morning. My alarm goes off at 4:45 for the day :confused3: Crunchy hair at night = sometimes nice, soft clumps in the A.M.

whatsercurl 04-06-2009 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlygirl18 (Post 926891)
I'm glad you posted! The plopping when dry thing though makes me ponder if anyone has tried it...

If it's been thought of, it's been tried around these parts. I'm I've seen someone post on this a long time ago but I can't remember who .....

Maybe a google search will get you some hits.

Laura Lee 04-06-2009 05:53 AM

Alright well here are last night's results:

All crunch totally gone! That should tell you how much I move in my sleep haha. My pillow SOTC'ed for me. I wasn't even asleep for that long haha. About 7 hours.

A whole heck of a lot of curl got pulled out. I'm going to have to up the dose of gel the next time I try this. I think if I can get it so that I don't lose all the crunch it might be better. As it stands now, today is a pin it half up day

xcptnl 04-06-2009 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura Lee (Post 927127)
Alright well here are last night's results:

All crunch totally gone! That should tell you how much I move in my sleep haha. My pillow SOTC'ed for me. I wasn't even asleep for that long haha. About 7 hours.

A whole heck of a lot of curl got pulled out. I'm going to have to up the dose of gel the next time I try this. I think if I can get it so that I don't lose all the crunch it might be better. As it stands now, today is a pin it half up day

I used KCCC both nights I think-I know I did the night without the cap-maybe even mixed with a bit of BHRG. Now if I lived alone - I would use the silk cap but it even embarrassed me when I saw myself in it so I will not be wearing it around ANYONE else.

kathymack 04-06-2009 05:57 AM

If I put a little something on my canopy before bed, I'll use one of those "headbands" that look like a big elastic ponytail holder to keep my hair off of my face. (It's what I use to keep my hair off my face for OCM.) It's not a pineapple because the hair isn't long enough. My hair is better then when I sleep on it. It might be a starting point for someone who can't wet and style in the morning.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com