CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   General Discussion about Curly Hair (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/)
-   -   I Got 2 Satin Pillow Cases For $12.99! (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/84104-i-got-2-satin-pillow-cases-%2412-99-a.html)

sheilacurl 08-24-2009 04:27 PM

I Got 2 Satin Pillow Cases For $12.99!
 
Hello fellow curlies,

I got this great deal on E-bay with free shipping. I ordered them on Wednesday and they showed up on Friday! I'm sure all of you know or have read somewhere around here that satin pillowcases help with frizz and reduce breakage, so I definitely could use "their" help!

The cheapest ones I found were at Bed, Bath and Beyond: 2/$24.99 plus tax. I knew I could find a better deal than that, so here's the link:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_SiteW...=p3286.c0.m301

For some reason the white ones were the most expensive @ 2/$12.99 but the different colored ones are 2/$9.99?

I hope I can save someone esle some dough during these hard times. If you find a better deal, please feel free to share it!

Spiralli 08-24-2009 05:12 PM

You totally rock for posting that link for us. :thumbup:

My satin pillowcases are years old and my dogs like to sit on them and do the pretend digging thing so they have some snags. Not enough to hurt my hair, but they aren't so pretty anymore.

sheilacurl 08-24-2009 08:30 PM

Wow, thanks, curls2grow! I'm so glad you found that useful. I'm new at this game, so that means a lot to me! That would be funny to watch a dog do that to a pillow, lol!

I noticed that you use coconut oil overnight, would I get that from a grocery store or maybe a specialty store? I have naturally oily skin.....so should I stay from oil in my hair? Thanks in advance!

CurlyCowgirly 08-24-2009 08:33 PM

sweet! I got 1 satin pillowcase at Sally's for $8 and some change, but I'm sure there's better quality out there! I'll have to see what Bed, Bath and Beyond has!

oopsmyhalofelloff 08-24-2009 08:57 PM

TFS, I only have one that I bought from Sally but I do need to get more. I LOVE my stain pillowcase.

I really really really want a silk one, but I will settle for satin for now

*Marah* 08-24-2009 09:53 PM

Sheliacurl,
That was VERY kind of you to share the info about the satin pillow cases!!!

I got some from Walmart a while back... I still have some.. but I would like some more. So thanks a lot for the tip!

Spiralli 08-25-2009 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheilacurl (Post 1078619)
I noticed that you use coconut oil overnight, would I get that from a grocery store or maybe a specialty store? I have naturally oily skin.....so should I stay from oil in my hair? Thanks in advance!

I've seen it at the grocery store in the cooking oil section, and at Whole Foods, same place. I bought mine online though because I wanted organic, virgin, cold-pressed, etc. in a small size (15oz) at a good price. If you have oily skin, you may want to try applying cno (or other oil in your hair) and then covering with a bandana, sleep cap, plastic shower cap, etc. That would keep the oil on your hair and help prevent it from getting on your pillow and/or face. I don't use a cap when I apply at night, but I've read those suggestions from people with concerns similar to yours.

CurlyCowgirly 08-25-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curls2grow (Post 1078886)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sheilacurl (Post 1078619)
I noticed that you use coconut oil overnight, would I get that from a grocery store or maybe a specialty store? I have naturally oily skin.....so should I stay from oil in my hair? Thanks in advance!

I've seen it at the grocery store in the cooking oil section, and at Whole Foods, same place. I bought mine online though because I wanted organic, virgin, cold-pressed, etc. in a small size (15oz) at a good price. If you have oily skin, you may want to try applying cno (or other oil in your hair) and then covering with a bandana, sleep cap, plastic shower cap, etc. That would keep the oil on your hair and help prevent it from getting on your pillow and/or face. I don't use a cap when I apply at night, but I've read those suggestions from people with concerns similar to yours.

Here's a hugely important tip when using coconut oil (while we're on the subject ;-)):
DO NOT put your fingers in the coconut oil bottle. The oils of your hands will contaminate the coconut oil, and it will start to smell bad.
Instead do one of these:
1. Use a clean spoon every time to spoon out what you need, or
2. Spoon some oil into a very tiny container that you could clean and refill with new oil every week. This way you could use your fingers to scoop out the oil w/o making the entire jar of coconut oil go rancid-smelling.

sheilacurl 08-25-2009 12:35 PM

Thanks curls2grow, I guess I'm more worried if CNO would make my scalp oily afterwards because I have a lot of fine hair, and I'm pretty self-conscious about a greasy head, lol! So....would oil on an oily scalp make it more oily? Does that sound stupid? Thanks for your patience!

sheilacurl 08-25-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Here's a hugely important tip when using coconut oil (while we're on the subject ;-)):
DO NOT put your fingers in the coconut oil bottle. The oils of your hands will contaminate the coconut oil, and it will start to smell bad.
Instead do one of these:
1. Use a clean spoon every time to spoon out what you need, or
2. Spoon some oil into a very tiny container that you could clean and refill with new oil every week. This way you could use your fingers to scoop out the oil w/o making the entire jar of coconut oil go rancid-smelling.
Thanks for that tip! I see that you have fine hair, have you ever ended up with an oily scalp after using CNO?

Spiralli 08-25-2009 05:23 PM

sheilacurl, you may not know until you try. One good thing about cno is that if you buy it for your hair and it doesn't work out, you can always try to use it for skincare or cooking. :toothy4:

Good points, CurlyCowgirly. I spoon mine out from my refrigerated original jar into a smaller flat/wide-mouth container for nightly use. But I do dip my fingers into that (since it's liquid now at room temp) and it lasts several weeks with no problem. The stuff in the smaller container smells as fresh after a few weeks of doing this as it does when I first refill it. Could be a YMMV thing, based on climate, room temp, etc.

sunshower 08-25-2009 07:16 PM

man, i wish i had known about this last week before i went to Sally's. i could've gotten two for about the same price! darn it.

Future Wave 08-25-2009 07:48 PM

If you're handy with a sewing machine, it takes a yard of Walmart's costume satin to make a pillowcase, so less than $3 per pillowcase.

sheilacurl 08-25-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Future Wave (Post 1079892)
If you're handy with a sewing machine, it takes a yard of Walmart's costume satin to make a pillowcase, so less than $3 per pillowcase.

That is super clever, Future Wave! You could start a business here for people like me who are "sewing machine illiterate " Thanks for sharing!

meadowlark2 08-26-2009 10:00 AM

Thanks for posting this sheilacurl!

I just ordered mine. I've been wanting satin pillowcases for a long time.

CurlyCowgirly 08-26-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheilacurl (Post 1079364)
Thanks for that tip! I see that you have fine hair, have you ever ended up with an oily scalp after using CNO?

Nope, I don't put it on my scalp. I just rake it through mid-shaft down right after a shower and while my hair is soaking wet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by curls2grow (Post 1079697)
Good points, CurlyCowgirly. I spoon mine out from my refrigerated original jar into a smaller flat/wide-mouth container for nightly use. But I do dip my fingers into that (since it's liquid now at room temp) and it lasts several weeks with no problem. The stuff in the smaller container smells as fresh after a few weeks of doing this as it does when I first refill it. Could be a YMMV thing, based on climate, room temp, etc.

Are you supposed to keep it refrigerated?? Oops... My big jar is in liquid form sitting in my room. My smaller refill jar is in a solid form in my bathroom. Maybe not refrigerating coconut oil contributes to making it smell bad??

sheilacurl 08-26-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurlyCowgirly (Post 1080474)
Nope, I don't put it on my scalp. I just rake it through mid-shaft down right after a shower and while my hair is soaking wet.

Thanks CurlyCowgirly!, Then do you put a shower cap on and leave it on for about an hour? Then you just wash it out with conditioner or a low poo? Thanks again for the help!

sheilacurl 08-26-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meadowlark2 (Post 1080419)
Thanks for posting this sheilacurl!

I just ordered mine. I've been wanting satin pillowcases for a long time.

That's awesome! What color did you get? Mine were from luxury linens, really nice quality! Let me know how you like them! I'm so glad you saved some cash, those are expensive things to have.

crimsonshedemon 08-28-2009 04:48 AM

I've been looking for silk pillowcases that don't cost 20$ a piece.
Jessicurl warns against using/buying polyster satin.
http://www.jessicurl.com/100-Silk-Pi...es-pr-641.html
I found this.....
"Charmeuse satin- It can be made of silk, or a synthetic lookalike such as polyester. Silk charmeuse is more expensive and delicate, but is softer and a better insulator. Polyester charmeuse is cheaper and can often withstand machine washing, but doesn't breath as well as silk."

Do you know which yours is?

Spiralli 08-28-2009 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurlyCowgirly (Post 1080474)
Quote:

Originally Posted by curls2grow (Post 1079697)
Good points, CurlyCowgirly. I spoon mine out from my refrigerated original jar into a smaller flat/wide-mouth container for nightly use. But I do dip my fingers into that (since it's liquid now at room temp) and it lasts several weeks with no problem. The stuff in the smaller container smells as fresh after a few weeks of doing this as it does when I first refill it. Could be a YMMV thing, based on climate, room temp, etc.

Are you supposed to keep it refrigerated?? Oops... My big jar is in liquid form sitting in my room. My smaller refill jar is in a solid form in my bathroom. Maybe not refrigerating coconut oil contributes to making it smell bad??

I'd read that keeping the original jar refrigerated definitely helps to preserve the life of the product, keeps it from going rancid, and would probably prevent any bad odor. IME, refrigerating the original jar definitely works. IHTH


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com