Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > General Discussion about Curly Hair

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 864
Unhappy Hair always feels hard/fuzzy/frizzy?

OMG I'm getting so frustrated. My hair never feels soft or moisturized no matter what products I use. Could be hair by dry? I don't understand how it really could be..I don't really deep condition, but I always leave in rich conditioners.. I've tried so many conditioners that are supposed to be moisturizing..
AO Honeysuckle rose
Trader Joe's Nourish
Elucence MBC
Various drugstore conditioners (pantene hydrating curls, HE Hello Hydration, etc)

Stylers don't seem to work either to combat this. I've used lots of different types, including KCCC.

I don't know what to do! I don't think I really use many products with tons of protein. But, it never seems to matter what I use in my hair- it always turns out the same way. It's making my hair frizzy and lacking curl definition, and I end up putting my hair up before it even dries. =( Maybe my hair is really thirsty.

Any advice or product suggestions? (Especially offline products!) Thanks
__________________
3c
curlicious3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
 
kathymack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,626
Default

I can only relate my experience with the conditioners that you are using--the only one that did anything for me was the AOHR. I only used the TJ Nourish as a cowash and the Elucence wasn't moisturizing enough either. I can use the AO conditioners in the winter--only twice a week. Not at all is the summer.

My first guess would be too much protein (overconditioning would look frizzy, but be soft) only it doesn't look like you're using any. My next guess is product build up--maybe an ingredient your hair doesn't like, if it isn't 'cones. My hair HATES castor oil and mineral oil. It get's the dry fuzzy/frizz, feels greasy and dry at the same time--but not hard.

You may want to clarify and do a DT. My hair prefers the more natural products that are in my signature.
__________________
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymack View Post
I can only relate my experience with the conditioners that you are using--the only one that did anything for me was the AOHR. I only used the TJ Nourish as a cowash and the Elucence wasn't moisturizing enough either. I can use the AO conditioners in the winter--only twice a week. Not at all is the summer.

My first guess would be too much protein (overconditioning would look frizzy, but be soft) only it doesn't look like you're using any. My next guess is product build up--maybe an ingredient your hair doesn't like, if it isn't 'cones. My hair HATES castor oil and mineral oil. It get's the dry fuzzy/frizz, feels greasy and dry at the same time--but not hard.

You may want to clarify and do a DT. My hair prefers the more natural products that are in my signature.
Hello kathymack, thanks for posting.

Right now I'm using AO Honeysuckle Rose and Long Aid Curl Activator Gel. Here are the ingredients for the gel:
Water (Aqua) , Glycerin , Triethanolamine , Oleth-20 , Carbomer 940 , Aloe Vera Powder (Aloe Barbadensis) , Methylparaben , DMDM Hydantoin , Disodium EDTA , Fragrance (Parfum) , Ext.Violet 2 (Cl 60730)

Are there any bad ones there? Like I said, I don't think I'm really using any protein. When I do use a product with protein (for example, Fantasia IC Gel, which contains wheat protein gel), or when I'm not using any products with protein, the results are consistent- I always seem to have this dry frizzy feel and appearance.
I stick to gels, because my hair hates styling creams- they don't absorb into my hair and the extra creaminess on top of the conditioner just encourages frizz for me. I also try to steer clear of pure oils and butters- my hair HATES them. It makes it all stringy and the curls get fuzzy and greasy. I swear my hair looks at me like I'm crazy when I put pure oils in it. lol

The products in your signature sound nice, but I'm trying to find products that are less expensive, or at least that I can find offline. Going to college this fall.

Maybe I'll clarify then try to DT regularly- is once a week good? Does anyone have any recs?
__________________
3c

Last edited by curlicious3b; 08-27-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: typos
curlicious3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,196
Default

when is the last time you clarified? pantene and hello hydration both have cones in them. If you used them and didn't use a shampoo afterward (at least one with cocobetaine) then you've probably got a buildup of cones preventing you from getting any moisturizing ingredients to your hair.
__________________
CG - 3/27/09
3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
Styling: lube and BRHG
tinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
 
kathymack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,626
Default

I did a search and found this about triethanolamine on an old thread asking about ingredients in another product. "Triethanolamine, also known as TEA, supposedly can cause dryness in hair and can be contaminated with nitrosamines that are carcinogenic." DMDM Hydantoin is another chemical people stay away from for health reasons. What you use is all a very personal choice--just make it based on information. You can do a search for them in the google search bar.

Personally, the gel is not something I would use--my hair doesn't care for all of the chemicals. But, a lot of people do use it. There are more natural ones that aren't as expensive--Giovanni comes to mind.

Without listing your other products, it's hard to know if you're using anything with ingredients that could build up. A clarifying shampoo and at least weekly DTs should be a good start.
__________________
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymack View Post
I did a search and found this about triethanolamine on an old thread asking about ingredients in another product. "Triethanolamine, also known as TEA, supposedly can cause dryness in hair and can be contaminated with nitrosamines that are carcinogenic." DMDM Hydantoin is another chemical people stay away from for health reasons. What you use is all a very personal choice--just make it based on information. You can do a search for them in the google search bar.

Personally, the gel is not something I would use--my hair doesn't care for all of the chemicals. But, a lot of people do use it. There are more natural ones that aren't as expensive--Giovanni comes to mind.

Without listing your other products, it's hard to know if you're using anything with ingredients that could build up. A clarifying shampoo and at least weekly DTs should be a good start.
I'll definitely clarify. I almost never clarify. Maybe that's why nothing seems to really work.. Thanks guys. Do you have any recommendations on a good clarifying product that doesn't dry hair out too badly?

Also, I was not aware of the potentially harmful ingredients in the gel. Perhaps I'll rethink it and find a styling product. I really need a gel, and my hair is kind of picky.. Most gels are drying, and I need to find a good one. KCCC worked pretty well, except I had to stop using it as it caused my skin to break out. Any suggestions? I need something with kind of strong hold, but not harsh
__________________
3c
curlicious3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,196
Default

Suave clarifying shampoo is good and will get anything out of your hair. It's a little harsh tho. I like the GVP version of Nexxus Aloe Ridd. I find it more gentle than a lot of sulfate free shampoos. But I've heard that it's been hard to come by in Sally's lately.

Clarify and do a good deep conditioning treatment and hopefully you'll see some good results. I bet it will make a big difference. If you're gonna go co wash only you're gonna need to ditch the cones tho or you'll be back in the same situation you're in now. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh! also - Biosilk rock hard gelee is the only gel I've found that works well has good hold and doesn't dry my hair out. It's really good stuff. I recommend that if you want to give it a try.
__________________
CG - 3/27/09
3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
Styling: lube and BRHG
tinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
 
belasuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlicious3b View Post

I'll definitely clarify. I almost never clarify. Maybe that's why nothing seems to really work.. Thanks guys. Do you have any recommendations on a good clarifying product that doesn't dry hair out too badly?

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I did not want to buy a clarifying shampoo so I washed with a low poo then I did an ACV rinse (2 cups water, 2 tbs vinegar) followed by rich conditioner. I did this two days in a row and it got my hair squeaky clean. Then I super moisturized -- I actually slept with a deep conditioner in my hair and washed it out the next day. This helped a lot and I decided to add it to my routine once a month.
__________________
~belasuna
3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
CG since 7/27/09
Bella Curl Products
CW: protein free-cleansing creme
CO: protein free MRcondish
Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
belasuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinah View Post
Suave clarifying shampoo is good and will get anything out of your hair. It's a little harsh tho. I like the GVP version of Nexxus Aloe Ridd. I find it more gentle than a lot of sulfate free shampoos. But I've heard that it's been hard to come by in Sally's lately.

Clarify and do a good deep conditioning treatment and hopefully you'll see some good results. I bet it will make a big difference. If you're gonna go co wash only you're gonna need to ditch the cones tho or you'll be back in the same situation you're in now. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh! also - Biosilk rock hard gelee is the only gel I've found that works well has good hold and doesn't dry my hair out. It's really good stuff. I recommend that if you want to give it a try.
Hmm.. I don't do co washes. I use Creme of Nature shampoo since I use cones, but maybe it's not enough? Any deep condish recs?
__________________
3c
curlicious3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,641
Default

Hello,

I think I may have replied to you on another post, I'm not sure...but here goes:

My hair cannot tolerate butters or oils unless they are number six on the ingredients list, or, there are other ingredients to counteract the "greasiness" of the butters and oils. One product is Donna Marie's Lock and Twist Pudding. The butters are near the top of the list, but it does not leave my hair greasy.

My hair is very dry and frizzes easily unless I do the following:

1. Shampoo and co-wash-See signature.
2. Deep condition with heat every time I shampoo or co-wash.
3. Afterward, use a leave-in conditioner with about a tablespoon of glycerin added. I use it twice a day if my hair is dry.
4. I use a styling aid after the leave-in conditioner to keep down the frizzies. Or, I place my hair in various up-do's to disguise the frizzies. Or, I wear a pretty scarf around my head, with my hair in gel/cream or twists.

I have discovered that when I use protective styles more, my hair does not frizz.
__________________
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
SPRING REGIMEN-This list is not exhaustive...
Pre-treat: coconut oil
Clarifier:
hiatus for now
Cowash: HE The Sleeker The Butter, HE NOYF w/Mandarin
PT: hiatus for now/DT:Redken Diamond Oil Deep Facets, Living Proof PHD
LI/Detangler: CK Satin Roots, Nu-Gro Leave-in
Oils: tamanu/Moisturizers: various
Stylers: CK Curl Factor, AH Cupuacu & Burdock Sweet Hair Pudding

*experimenting and loving it!


Greatcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 864
Default

Okay, so I'm definitely going to clarify and DT this weekend. I'll run out and get some products.

Any clarifying shampoo and DT recs? I need something not too expensive, if possible. Thanks for your help, everyone!
__________________
3c
curlicious3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
 
curlyjenn10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,025
Default

Do you know your texture and porosity? I'm highly porous and have had a hard time keeping my hair hydrated. And even a little bit of protein causes the symptoms you are describing, because I'm also very coarse.

You also mentioned that your hair hates oils. Is this anything that has oil in it, or just straight oil? My hair also hates oils and part of the problem with keeping it hydrated was because I was using conditioners (like AOHR) that had multiples oils in them. It was coating my hair and preventing moisture from getting in. I don't think there are a lot of us here that have this problem, but just some food for thought

And Jillipoo just wrote this interesting blog entry on clarifying:
http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/2009/08/lets-clarify.html
__________________
CG since 6/15/08!
Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
curlyjenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 864
Default

It's a mixture of fine, medium, and coarse, but I think it's mostly on the coarser side of medium. I know for a fact that my hair hates pure oils. It may also hate products with lots of oil, and I didn't know it or something. What products can I use that are moisturizing then? Oils coat hair, silicones seem to coat hair. =( It's oh so frustrating.

Also how can you determine the porosity?
I'll check out the link. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjenn10 View Post
Do you know your texture and porosity? I'm highly porous and have had a hard time keeping my hair hydrated. And even a little bit of protein causes the symptoms you are describing, because I'm also very coarse.

You also mentioned that your hair hates oils. Is this anything that has oil in it, or just straight oil? My hair also hates oils and part of the problem with keeping it hydrated was because I was using conditioners (like AOHR) that had multiples oils in them. It was coating my hair and preventing moisture from getting in. I don't think there are a lot of us here that have this problem, but just some food for thought

And Jillipoo just wrote this interesting blog entry on clarifying:
http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/2009/08/lets-clarify.html
__________________
3c
curlicious3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com