Curl Chemist Article:Temps matter too along with Dew Points!!!!

Like Tree4Likes

I'm not big on humectants as a whole - unless one counts the agave in the KCCC. That could have something to do with it. I pay too much money for red hair to ever touch glycerin, lol. I don't like a lot of propylene glycol either, and I use oil sealing the way others use humectants for frizz reduction.

I add PVP in the summer and add Lustrasilk in the winter. I also adjust my protein use in my regular conditioners but yeah, I have a fairly consistent routine year round compared to many others here. In fact, it's my protein/moisture balance in my conditioning, as well as frequency of conditioning, that is most affected when I make dewpoint adjustments.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
I do like my humectants

Aloe like in KCCC (Aloe as we know is a chameleon ingredient) Honey & the humectant heavy CK are my killers in the wrong dew points. But I hate to go without them because they work so well in the right conditions!!! FOTE is my absolute favorite touch up for colder weather it makes my hair spiral. But in the Summer FORGET it gigantic POOFY mess and CK will do the same thing in very low dew points along with added flyaway frizz.

My conditioners don't vary that much but my LI will get adjusted to more, less or none.
Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars


CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
I'm with Angela - it's all too hard for my poor brain. I use the same products year round and have little variation in the way my hair behaves generally speaking. I have never figured out dew points, all I know is that if it's damp outside, whether winter cold damp or summer hot damp, my hair will frizz, so for me temps really don't matter, humidity does and haven't a clue about dew points!
3b in South Australia.
I'm doubly scrooed then cuz I'm a freak and a geek!
Originally Posted by whatsercurl
I knew there was a reason I liked you!! lol.

RCC -- in my experience, I've been finding there is a huge difference in a 68 deg dew point with 80 temp, and a 68 deg dew point with a 70 temp. So maybe its the fact that the dew is that much lower? Maybe you're not finding a difference because overall at 40 dew there is less water in the air?

Though, those brit girls were having a horrible time with 50 dews & a 50 temp to match. They said it was like there was a mister on all the time heh.

And just a note to people who this thread is frustrating, or driving them crazy -- Don't let it. Some of us -- we have problem hair, or we're control freaks. Either way, if you have a solution that WORKS for you year round, ignore what we say and enjoy your routine!!!

I just like sciency geeky hair discussions AND I like to see differing opinions. I am one of those, "there is a little truth in everything" kinda peeps
Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.


Last edited by goobernut; 12-10-2009 at 11:54 AM.
I don't find a difference in the summer. A 68 degree dew is gross to me and I need a hard hold gel whether it is 68 degrees or 95 degrees. The only difference is if it 95, i"d just put my hair up because I am a heat wimp, lol. The hair acts pretty similarly for me.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
RCC -- will your hair come over and talk to mine? Maybe send it a little educational post? LOL My hair has definitely started behaving differently since the temp dropped to match the dews, for the worse!

I just think its cool that you have your hair figured out so well You've got the routine down -- and it looks good! I remember you saying you had "skinny" curls, and I never thought that.
Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.

Lol, I think I'm just lucky I can get away with the same base routine most of the year.

Some people react differently to temps, and I'm glad I don't have to fuss with it as much now. I did notice it a lot last winter, and that is when I learned about Lustrasilk. So, now I know that Lustrasilk and CJ Curl Rehab are my best buddies in the winter.

I also think the oil sealing has something to so with it. I do it because I am porous and my cuticle is prone to over-reacting to higher dewpoints. But, I also wonder if it counteracts some of the effects of temperature changes. The sealing keeps the humidity out in the summer and the moisture more in in the winter.

I still notice changes, because, well the environment is different, but so far nothing as drastic as last year. I just use dewpoints as my guide and it seems to work.

The temp helps though. I know it is 20 right now, so the DP cannot be above 20, so I know it's dry without checking the DP.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
Yes DEL Temps are still warm here. Its been cooling down at night, but during the day its getting up to 80. Its like a sauna out there.

I realize what you guys are saying that the air holds less water at 50 deg vs 80 deg. However -- ppl with straightened (or relaxed hair) will still tell you that if the temp is 50, and your dew point is 49 (which means the humidity is probably around 90-100% depending on atmospheric variables) you are still going to frizz. If its almost raining, and the air is super saturated -- even though its less water (in comparison to if the temp was 80) its still going to cause frizz. I don't think my hair cares if there is less water in 50 degree just about to rain vs the 80 degree just about to rain. It still has a very similar effect.

Now that being said, some people's hair LOVE the humidity, some people don't. My hair is hating on it right now.

The quote that DEL put above from the article is fantastic.
Originally Posted by goobernut
This is the case for me. The dewpoints mean less for me than the relative humidity. 75% humidity is 75% humidity whether the dewpoint is 70 degrees or -10. My hair reacts the exact same way regardless.

Once I realized that, it made finding products that work for me much easier.
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

Look, an awful lot of gals don't even bother checking their dew points & get along just fine with their hair! I didn't start this thread to make you all panic But, if you're a dew follower and things are still not up to par it's something else to consider.

It doesn't mean you gotta get all PJ and get 50 different products to accommodate every single temp & dew point!! A lot of our hair products do work well in various seasons.

Hey maybe someone ought to start a thread on that. All weather products do they exist??? goober?
Originally Posted by DEL2C
If they didn't there would be no HGs. Once I started paying more attention to what my hair was actually doing (instead of what it was supposed to be doing per all the articles out there) I realized that the dewpoints don't mean as mch to me as they do to some others. I spend time in all kinds of climates every year--I live in semi-arid CO and go to high-desert NM, and humid FL and NYC a few times a year at all times of year. My current products work just as well in the desert as they do in FL in July/August. No matter what the humidity is like, I have to seal the moisture in my hair to keep the frizz at bay.
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

If they didn't there would be no HGs.
Well if you read StruttsWife's e-book the theory is that HG's don't exist because so many changes like hormones, weather, texture changes, medical conditions, etc. can make a difference in how hair behaves.

You're a lucky one Nallia just like RCC KCCC works year round and in any climate for you. Not many of us are as fortunate! My Summer & Winter routine are like Night & Day! Even my stylist noticed how my hair is affected by the weather. They've seen how differently my hair behaves depending on the Season using the same products & techniques.
Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars


CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.

And just a note to people who this thread is frustrating, or driving them crazy -- Don't let it. Some of us -- we have problem hair, or we're control freaks. Either way, if you have a solution that WORKS for you year round, ignore what we say and enjoy your routine!!!

I just like sciency geeky hair discussions AND I like to see differing opinions. I am one of those, "there is a little truth in everything" kinda peeps
Originally Posted by goobernut
Me too goobernut. This is how I procrastinate from doing schoolwork.

If they didn't there would be no HGs.
You're a lucky one Nallia just like RCC KCCC works year round and in any climate for you. Not many of us are as fortunate! My Summer & Winter routine are like Night & Day! Even my stylist noticed how my hair is affected by the weather. They've seen how differently my hair behaves depending on the Season using the same products & techniques.
Originally Posted by DEL2C
Del - same here. I feel like my hair changes SO MUCH depending on the weather, it's like it becomes a different head of hair. Winter my hair can get straight as an arrow (with blow drying of course); summer, floof city and there's not much which can be done about it.
2c-3a. Thick density. Texture = mixture of medium and fine.

Always trying to boost my curl!


Go-to products: Pink Boots, CJSG, LALSG, Abba Pure Finish gel
Experimenting with: CJAF, CJ CCCC, JCRR/CC, BRHG, PB Goo, Re:Coil, Komaza CHP, EcoStyler Protein
Didn't like: HESMU, Matrix Biolage Gelee (both too goopy)

http://public.fotki.com/thicknwavy/
Last updated: Dec. 3, 2009
I'm doubly scrooed then cuz I'm a freak and a geek!
Originally Posted by whatsercurl
I knew there was a reason I liked you!! lol.

RCC -- in my experience, I've been finding there is a huge difference in a 68 deg dew point with 80 temp, and a 68 deg dew point with a 70 temp. So maybe its the fact that the dew is that much lower? Maybe you're not finding a difference because overall at 40 dew there is less water in the air?

Though, those brit girls were having a horrible time with 50 dews & a 50 temp to match. They said it was like there was a mister on all the time heh.

And just a note to people who this thread is frustrating, or driving them crazy -- Don't let it. Some of us -- we have problem hair, or we're control freaks. Either way, if you have a solution that WORKS for you year round, ignore what we say and enjoy your routine!!!

I just like sciency geeky hair discussions AND I like to see differing opinions. I am one of those, "there is a little truth in everything" kinda peeps
Originally Posted by goobernut
I also like the "sciency geeky hair discussions" I just wish I had a better understanding and could, intelligently, contribute more to them...that is all.

BTW I'm so glad there are curlies like you, Del, Jill, RCC (and any others I may have left out) who do understand and are able to offer their opinions and explanations to those of us who are still learning.

I definitely don't take my hair too seriously and have found what works for me. Thanks to the numerous threads on this site I'm no longer looking for a holy grail product. I am very happy with my simple routine and thankful that the weather here in N. California doesn't cause me too much grief.
3b. Normal porosity. Medium texture. Low elasticity.

CONDITIONERS: GVP The Detangler, Tresemme Naturals Nourishing, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta, Suave Pomegranate Splash, KC Knot Today

LEAVE-IN: Shea Moisture Shea Butter (LOVE!)

STYLERS: CJ Curl Queen (LOVE!), Biotera Gel, LA Looks Sports Gel, AOMM
I've been having ups and downs and thanks to keeping a notebook with what I do as far as products and the weather, including the dew point, I think I've narrowed down to matching the right product mix to certain dew points.

I'm a freak, I guess, b/c my hair loves it when the dews go over 60. On those mornings, I KNOW what products work and once I'm done diffusing, I'm 5 minutes from walking out the door. But let the dew drop below 50 and I am an absolute mess. Had days where kids are missing the bus, I'm late for work...and then add to that, days like today. Dew point was 67 when I checked weather.com at 5:45am. By 10am, it was 45. By 3...dropped to 37.

Jacqui
2C-3A, baby fine, normal elasticity + porosity.
Central Florida.
Conditioner: CJBC, DevaCurl One, JC Aloeba
Leave in: CJ BC, CJ CF
Stylers: CK (only with dews over 60)
Curl Creme: Gel-les'c, CJ CiaB, Mop C
Gel: Goddess Glaze, HESMU, DC Angel

For Low Dews:
conditioner:Califia Care Condit mixed with KCNT
Curl Creme: Komaza Coconut Pudding

Weekly: low poo, Nexus Emergencee and wdt (CJ CF or CJ HBDF )
So right now the temperature is 74, the dew point is 73 and the humidity is 96%! Ahhhhhh what do I do??? My porous hair is all over the place. I'm trying to remember what Tiffany's book says. I got a virus and lost everything on my computer. I think hard hold gel is in order?? Any suggestions?

TIA!
D
Lady Valeria of the Isle of Neraida in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Central Florida Curly
CG since May 5, 2009
Hair Type: 3cCiii coarse\porous
Conditioners: Bioinfusion HCB, CJCR, SpiralSolutions DDMT, BellaCurl MC, BellaCurl LE, KCKT, YesToCucumbers
Stylers: CJ CCCC, FSG, KCCC, SpiralSolutions CEJ
So right now the temperature is 74, the dew point is 73 and the humidity is 96%! Ahhhhhh what do I do??? My porous hair is all over the place. I'm trying to remember what Tiffany's book says. I got a virus and lost everything on my computer. I think hard hold gel is in order?? Any suggestions?

TIA!
D
Originally Posted by dominicana
Holy Crap - where are you??? I would suggest a humectant and emollient, hard hold gel. And even then I would bring a pony tail holder and a hat!
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
it is florida! yay for us! *gag*

If it makes you feel any better dominicana, I can't do anything with mine. Its so big its atmospheric. I have tried everything. soooo if you find something that works, let me know. Because the hard hold gel ain't workin.
Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.

So right now the temperature is 74, the dew point is 73 and the humidity is 96%! Ahhhhhh what do I do??? My porous hair is all over the place. I'm trying to remember what Tiffany's book says. I got a virus and lost everything on my computer. I think hard hold gel is in order?? Any suggestions?

TIA!
D
Originally Posted by dominicana
Holy Crap - where are you??? I would suggest a humectant and emollient, hard hold gel. And even then I would bring a pony tail holder and a hat!
Originally Posted by rudeechick
it's tough for the porous heads in such high humidity/high Dews no doubt! What's suggested is no humectants in extreme weather conditions as a general rule. RCC started a High Dew point support thread maybe take a look a that for some ideas? Acidic rinses help to seal the cuticle & if you can find a protein that agrees with you protein treatments seemed to help under those circumstances as well. Playing around with more or less moisture is an individual thing too. I can't take a ton of moisture in Summer & doing the S&C method worked wonders for me without any add'l rinse out.

I tend to defy the humectant rule in Summer I've posted this many times but for me CK/BRHG is my saviour with honey rinses. It shouldn't work but for Summers in a row that's what I did!
Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars


CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
DEL -- I just stepped up my PT's, and my hair has been eating them. I mean, taking them and laughing. I've done three PT's in the last week (and some are serious hard hitters). My wave is much better, but man the frizz is still crazy.

Obviously my hair is protein deficient. LOL. I need to ask people what protein treatments they used that "overdid" it for them. I can't believe I've done 3 PT's in a week and my hair is still soft. I think its working though, because my hair was getting stiff and rough in the shower, but now after all the PT's its soft and moveable. I really think I'd gotten to the point where my hair was so porous and there was so much water in the atmosphere (and the air conditioner wasn't running as much because the temp was lower -- so it was exposed to more moisture more of the time because the AC wasn't removing it).

I just don't know how to describe it, when I first started CG my hair was super smooth. you know, when you take your finger and run it down the hair shaft from root to tip -- it would squeak. Since about mid Nov. when I run my finger and thumb from root to tip, it feels like someone ran the hair through a crimper. You know, super bumpy. The only conclusion I've been able to come to is that its just full of water. So I've been spritz and condition, I've been using as much protein as I can get my hands on, and I guess I'm just gonna stop when my hair starts to feel rough with a PT.

And yes DEL, my next experiment is CK hehe. I need to PM you and asked you how and in what order you applied it.
Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.

Here is a scenario on the opposite end of the scale. It is -29 F here right now, -38 dewpoint with 60% humidity. What would you suggest? I jokingly stated in another thread that I didn't have to worry about humidity and dews...I'm worried about freakin' ice build up! LOL
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
Too many others to list!
Goobernut, have you tried anti-humectants? Curl Chemist lists a few of them here:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlre...-the-dew-point

Also, Goobernut, when you say that your hair was smooth and almost squeaky when you first started CG, that actually means it was stripped of most of its oils! Curly hair *should* feel a bit bumpy -- that's how it grows.

angel29ish, where on earth do you live?? Your temperature is horrifying! Yet your dews and your humidity are in a pretty decent range for hair. What is your hair doing (other than fighting off icicles)?
3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG


Fotki password: chuckle
Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
Twitter: nopoojillipoo

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com